Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #2976
Austin45
Poor College Kid

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
I saw your signature and holy crap. I loved your Camaro, especially after everything you two had to endure, especially with that beautiful paint job. Wow, I'm rather speechless. I was without my car for a week when it was in the body shop, can't imagine how you feel. Glad to see your okay, and I can't wait to see what you do to the next one. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #2977

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

Just a quick update with insurance - my meeting with the SIU investigator (they really should be called detectives if they're wanting to keep the SVU theme) is at 11:30 this morning. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.
Good luck with all that...remember these guys aren't super-human....If they can tell you why your car burned up, fine...nice to know...

....Just make sure they don't drag their feet and hold up your claim...Your premiums pay their salary, so they work for you...

...No worries, you'll be fine...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #2978
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post
I saw your signature and holy crap. I loved your Camaro, especially after everything you two had to endure, especially with that beautiful paint job. Wow, I'm rather speechless. I was without my car for a week when it was in the body shop, can't imagine how you feel. Glad to see your okay, and I can't wait to see what you do to the next one. Good luck.
Well I was without her all last summer as well - repaint took surprisingly longer than we thought. But that's how all these projects go - that and when I take two and a half weeks to pick what metallic black I want lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Good luck with all that...remember these guys aren't super-human....If they can tell you why your car burned up, fine...nice to know...

....Just make sure they don't drag their feet and hold up your claim...Your premiums pay their salary, so they work for you...

...No worries, you'll be fine...
Thank you for the kind words. The interview went fine, they did their homework and asked me if I had any imminent symptoms that a lot of other camaros had; second gear grind, etc. Why she was asking about second gear grind I don't know, just told her it occurred only for a bit after I just started the car blah blah blah.

She did bring up the NTSA consumer complaints though, apparently someone's Camaro started smoking from under the driver's seat I kept my mouth shut, but the answer to that is the owner's heated seat wiring got frayed (there's a TSB for it) and he tried to use his heated seat - poof! Smoke as the wiring attempts to burn the seat.

The investigator did tell me that they weren't going to hire a forensics team to determine the cause - wasn't worth the money to them. Which, orally fine by me.

As far as moving the claim along, they are doing a great job, I just keep telling them to go back and look at the numbers, or when I asked how they got to X value for my modifications - apparently most people just take whatever number they're given.

So, insurance, I'm sorry that I'm asking you how you got to the lowball number that you did. Heaven forbid that I want to know the logic behind how you're screwing me over. I mean, I get it - they're mad that they have to pay up. Well you know what, I'm mad that I had to watch Kaylee burn to the ground right in front of me. See, we're both upset about something.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #2979

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
That's good news...as far as the price, I had to search ads, dealers, private partys and show them what a similar car actually sells for....Helped a little to bump up the price...

Something else, just fyi, not that you need more worries...lol...but keep an eye on the rental agreement if insurance is paying for one...There sometimes are limits to how much, how long they will pay for a rental....and if you go over (they won't give you a head's up) any "overage" will likely be deducted from your settlement check...

....Good luck again...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #2980
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Glad its going OK i think you will get more then they think.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #2981
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
That's good news...as far as the price, I had to search ads, dealers, private partys and show them what a similar car actually sells for....Helped a little to bump up the price...

Something else, just fyi, not that you need more worries...lol...but keep an eye on the rental agreement if insurance is paying for one...There sometimes are limits to how much, how long they will pay for a rental....and if you go over (they won't give you a head's up) any "overage" will likely be deducted from your settlement check...

....Good luck again...
That's a great point with the rental. I had a rental once for an extended period of time and got hit with a bill at the end.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #2982
The Stig

Quote:

....Good luck again...
Thank you much for the heads up on the rental. I asked and they said the cap for rental coverage is $900 - God do I hope I don't need to be driving a rental for that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Glad its going OK i think you will get more then they think.
Thank you much Ofer, glad to have you in my corner.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #2983
NSANEBLK

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS -1969 Camaro L65
Words can't express how sorry I am for your loss. I know it is "just" a car but they are like part of the family. My 69 was and always will be my first "baby".

IMHO, it never hurts to check with a lawyer just to get an opinion. I know you don't want to go that route and I applaud that. Checking with them doesn't mean you have to use them but on the off chance there is a way to make the outcome better it might be worth the time.
NSANEBLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #2984
RedVictory
Luv my LS3

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS M6 LS3
I don't know how the hell I missed this......I am truly sorry bro. This sure puts my car problems in perspective.

I had hoped that we might meet at a local NOVA meet sometime and see your car in person but I don't get the chance very often.

If you can afford it, do what I did and just buy an old Civic on Craigslist and sell it when you get you affairs in order. If your savvy enough you be able to break even. I ended up liking mine so much I kept it, LOL!
RedVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #2985
butters
It's not the batmobile!

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX
Wow. That really made me sick to my stomach. I'm glad your ok though.

Anyone recommend a good fire extinguisher and where to mount it?

Edit: After some searching, I just placed my order for one of these

http://www.speedtactics.com/fire_extinguisher.php

Last edited by butters; 06-19-2013 at 03:06 PM.
butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #2986
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
Wow. That really made me sick to my stomach. I'm glad your ok though.

Anyone recommend a good fire extinguisher and where to mount it?

Edit: After some searching, I just placed my order for one of these

http://www.speedtactics.com/fire_extinguisher.php
There's so a company that makes a bracket so you can mount it right in front of the driver's seat.

Edit: found it - http://www.speedtactics.com/chevy_camaro_feb_0911.php

Oh and as to an update on my insurance claim. The adjuster is back to replying to my emails in ALL CAPS, and I'm hoping he steps on a Lego. Besides that I'd say its going pretty well though.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #2987
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
HOLY @#$^%@!$#!!! I saw your sig change and found this thread. I am so sorry for your loss!! wow!!

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning
704-307-4227
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #2988
Goo

Drives: Cayman S
Quote:
There's so a company that makes a bracket so you can mount it right in front of the driver's seat.

Oh and as to an update on my insurance claim. The adjuster is back to replying to my emails in ALL CAPS, and I'm hoping he steps on a Lego. Besides that I'd say its going pretty well though.
hahaha.... I like it
Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #2989
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
HOLY @#$^%@!$#!!! I saw your sig change and found this thread. I am so sorry for your loss!! wow!!
Jump back to my posts on 5/31/13 if you want to see the pics (not for the faint of heart though)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #2990
AACstyle

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
We are shocked and saddened by reading this but we want to help.

Hopefully you plan on getting another Camaro because we would like to replace all of the AAC parts that were lost in this travesty and install everything at Camaro 5 Fest free of charge.

I woud like to see other Vendors join me in making this right please visit this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...60#post6690460
AACstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #2991
butters
It's not the batmobile!

Quote:

Thanks for the link. A little pricey, but obviously worth the investment!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #2992
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro SS/RS
Sorry to chime in late. Was talking business with Ofer the other day and he let me know what happened. Just went through all the pics. What a loss man, what a loss. Sorry.

Reading through it I decided one thing, when I get home tonight fire extinguisher goes from under sink to trunk. And there it will stay.

Bigger and better things to come my friend. Like a phoenix rise from the ashes!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #2993
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
As many of you already know RJ's beloved Kaylee burned to the ground last week, and with all the mods done to it, he is sure to come up short with the insurance company. If you would like to help out, a donation button has been set up on Gen5DIY.com. Any help is greatly appreciated...
Donation made.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #2994
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post

Hopefully you plan on getting another Camaro because we would like to replace all of the AAC parts that were lost in this travesty and install everything at Camaro 5 Fest free of charge.

I woud like to see other Vendors join me in making this right please visit this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...60#post6690460
I'm honestly completely floored. Thank you Justin - I'm honestly at a loss for words at how much I appreciate what you're doing. You've gone above and beyond. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicave13@gmail.com View Post
Sorry to chime in late. Was talking business with Ofer the other day and he let me know what happened. Just went through all the pics. What a loss man, what a loss. Sorry.

Reading through it I decided one thing, when I get home tonight fire extinguisher goes from under sink to trunk. And there it will stay.

Bigger and better things to come my friend. Like a phoenix rise from the ashes!!!
Thank you. Be careful with putting it in the trunk though - once you lose electrical stuffs you can't get into the trunk. Fire department didn't believe me when I told them there was no manual trunk release (from outside the car anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Donation made.
Thank you much. It means a lot knowing that I have Camaro5 in my corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
Thanks for the link. A little pricey, but obviously worth the investment!
I'm sure their is a cheaper/easier way to fab up a bracket - but that's just the first one I found/saw.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #2995
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post

Hear that RJ, all you have to do is get the car, and C5 will take care of the rest. This really brightened my day.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #2996
xX_BLACK_INFERNO_Xx

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Stig, I haven't been a member of Camaro5 for that long, but when I first got my Camaro I googled mods and upon finding the forums I stumbled upon your build post and you inspired me to start modding. I admired the care and the time that you took to put that kind of love into Kaylee. You did an amazing job. I don't have a lot of time to do mods even though parts have been starting to pile up. I don't have much on hand to donate at the moment, but what I do have have is a small list of parts I have that haven't been installed yet. If you happen to acquire another C5, PM me or I can PM you what I have. I would be more than happy to donate a part or two. It sickens me to see what happened to you. So sorry for your loss. I couldn't fathom how I'd feel if the same happened to me.
xX_BLACK_INFERNO_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #2997
terry_b

Drives: 2010 Synergy Special Edition
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Wow! Seriously what a great group of people here on the site!

I really look forward to you getting into a sweet new Camaro!

Just curious, have you found out anything about what the cause may have been?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #2998
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Jeeeez I just found out what happened ,really sorry for your loss ma man !
Old 06-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #2999
butters
It's not the batmobile!

any word on what caused it? Has GM been in contact with you at all?
Old 06-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #3000
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
This is an unsettled insurance claim. No matter the cause, there should be no discussion about it. When a settlement has been reached, the claim closed and the check cashed there will be plenty of time to speculate.

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1