Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #1681
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
... plus the wraps only look good for a little while. After that, they start looking like crap.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #1682
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
The estimates can come in low. The shop just sends them updates as they're fixing the car. They still have to pay whatever it takes.

I'd definitely go with paint.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #1683
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

Drives: Camaro Justice
You will not be happy knowing the damage is under a giant wrap Band-Aid. Get her painted.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #1684
69 Rebel

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS Auto
I know nothing about wraps, but if the lines are deep enough wouldn't they show under the wrap. I assume the wrap needs a very flat surface kinda like window tints.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100385

Version II
416ci stroker/4L80e
701rwhp 750rwtq
build and tuned by
SPI-Performance
69 Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #1685
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Paint. (Personally, I think wraps are fugly, but that's my opinion only... it's your car.)

You did get 2 estimates on your own and not sign off with Geico before hand right?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #1686
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I'm starting to debate the idea of getting Kaylee wrapped in lieu of getting her repainted. Main reason being because Geico kind of screwed me with the estimate (even though they say they will pay for more if it ends up costing more than their estimate). What I'm curious about is whether or not there are any downsides to this plan - besides the obvious: the damage is still there underneath the wrap
Wow, stieger, I never said anything because it was a pretty shitty time for you but I thought to myself that if it was my car I'd kinda be glad they got so many different body panels so I could have Geico paint the whole thing. I have Geico too and my diductable is 1000.00 so much cheaper than coming off he whole 5000.00 paint job.

Guess they won't repaint the whole thing under your deductable. That totally suck. I'm with everyone else though, don't get a wrap.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #1687
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Paint. (Personally, I think wraps are fugly, but that's my opinion only... it's your car.)

You did get 2 estimates on your own and not sign off with Geico before hand right?
The wrap was just a thought, and honestly - knowing the damage was still under it would drive me insane. I've gotten one other estimate besides Geico (it was pretty much the same as Geico's). I have a check from Geico for $1,300 sitting on my desk that I'm hesitant to deposit because so far I haven't signed anything saying that I agree with the estimate or whatever and not sure if depositing the check is my agreeing to the estimate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Wow, stieger, I never said anything because it was a pretty shitty time for you but I thought to myself that if it was my car I'd kinda be glad they got so many different body panels so I could have Geico paint the whole thing. I have Geico too and my diductable is 1000.00 so much cheaper than coming off he whole 5000.00 paint job.

Guess they won't repaint the whole thing under your deductable. That totally suck. I'm with everyone else though, don't get a wrap.
Yep. Geico is only paying for the damaged panels to get repainted. Though it probably wouldn't be too much out of my pocket to get her right side painted as well.

stripes ?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #1688
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

stripes ?
Why not make chicken salad out of chicken shht? Stripes would definitely ease the pain
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #1689
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Why not make chicken salad out of chicken shht? Stripes would definitely ease the pain
exactly, and the hood & trunk are being repainted on Geico's dime anyway. Just need to find a design (if any) that my ADHD can put up with
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #1690
racer778
Camaro Sold

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS
Steiger, You've been talking about a wrap for awhile but as most have stated I would have your car repaired correctly first unless of course you are thinking a custom paint job is in the future for Kaylee. You can get the wrap done and save up for the custom job. As junkman stated, wraps look good for a little awhile . If you have the repairs accomplished a competent body shop will blend into the next panel to ensure there is no difference in color. remember, you don't have to accept it if the paint doesnt match EXACTLY as it is. good luck
Joe

PS: any luck on catching the thugs??
racer778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #1691
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer778 View Post
Steiger, You've been talking about a wrap for awhile but as most have stated I would have your car repaired correctly first unless of course you are thinking a custom paint job is in the future for Kaylee. You can get the wrap done and save up for the custom job. As junkman stated, wraps look good for a little awhile . If you have the repairs accomplished a competent body shop will blend into the next panel to ensure there is no difference in color. remember, you don't have to accept it if the paint doesnt match EXACTLY as it is. good luck
Joe

PS: any luck on catching the thugs??
Thanks Joe. I'm not an expert on wraps, nor do I pretend to be. So to me the idea of being able to just windex Kaylee clean seems awesome. A wrap just seemed like easier maintenance than a custom paint job. But I know if a year down the wrap looks like crap I'm going to be pissed. So I might just have to suck it up and save up for that paint job - which works out fine because I haven't figured out what I want just yet.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #1692
The Stig

After a decently long waiting period my black chrome door panels are finally finished

Name:  P1050006.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  162.2 KB

Name:  P1050007.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  178.9 KB

Name:  P1050008.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  167.6 KB

Name:  P1050009.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  181.2 KB

Here's the thing though: Chris informed me that there are some dust specs in the paint (you can sorta kinda tell from the photos), in his opinion he said it'd be best to repaint them. Main reason being that the panels were painted so that I still have ABL (which is a big deal to me - I'm not giving it up), however if he were to repaint them then I would lose the ABL. So I told Chris to send them to me and I'll install them and see what I think. If the dust specs really do bug me (I don't think they will) then I can send them back to get repainted.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #1693
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
wet sand then polish??? maybe?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #1694
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
wet sand then polish??? maybe?
See that's the thing, I don't know if they have a clear coat. My other black chrome pieces didn't/don't appear to have a clear coat either. I figure when I can physically look at them I'll be able to figure out something.

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1