Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #376
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Dude, buy a lottery ticket on the way home! Very cool!
Never really been on to play the lotto, might have to try it today though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
You offically suck now.......
well here's the thing. IF I can't return my BMR springs to Apex then I'll probably go ahead and install them (prefer the split drop) but if I CAN return them then I'm installing the LG springs and getting some more goodies from Apex possibly UD pulley, or a line lock
Old 08-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #377
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Yeah now I know you suck....LOL....Dude this is awesome more bang for your buck. Get electric cutouts. I love mine.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #378
The Stig

If Apex sells them then I plan on buying a set. I don't know why, but I just have this itch to make Kaylee go from moderately loud to stupid loud by flipping a switch.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #379
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Mine are DMH low profile and I LOVE mine. Here's a clip.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #380
The Stig

Going to have to wait until I'm off work to watch the clip, I feel like open cut outs might scare the rest of office.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #381
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Video does them NO justice!!! In person they're just wild!!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #382
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Video does them NO justice!!! In person they're just wild!!
Mine turn heads. Mine are right behind the headers, so when I open them, I'm running open headers. It's like monster truck loud. (I have QTP cutouts, btw.)
Old 08-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #383
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Mine turn heads. Mine are right behind the headers, so when I open them, I'm running open headers. It's like monster truck loud. (I have QTP cutouts, btw.)
That's where I plan to put mine once I get around to getting them. Monster truck stupid loud is EXACTLY what I want my cut outs to do
Old 08-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #384
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
That's where I plan to put mine once I get around to getting them. Monster truck stupid loud is EXACTLY what I want my cut outs to do
You need a cam then. They're not quite as loud otherwise.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #385
The Stig

Quote:
You need a cam then. They're not quite as loud otherwise.
lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala I'm not listening lalalalalalalalalalalalalalala no telling me I need a cam Em. I'm donig so well sticking to bolt ons, trying to resist diving into the engine for as long as I can.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #386
Darth_Emma

Quote:
lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala I'm not listening lalalalalalalalalalalalalalala no telling me I need a cam Em. I'm donig so well sticking to bolt ons, trying to resist diving into the engine for as long as I can.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #387
garcmol

There is an AWESOME DIY thread with pics and step by step instructions......just sayin'
Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #388
The Stig

Quote:
There is an AWESOME DIY thread with pics and step by step instructions......just sayin'
For what? springs or headers? Because I've already added 2 DIY links to my OP for the headers
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #389
Darth_Emma

Quote:
For what? springs or headers? Because I've already added 2 DIY links to my OP for the headers
I think he was talkin' about a cam.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #390
The Stig

Ah OK. Yea I've seen that DIY. It's really detailed too.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #391
garcmol

cammmmmm
Old 08-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #392
The Stig

Mailed the parts back to Pete at Showstoppers. A little annoyed about how much it cost to mail it back, but sucking it up. It's supposed to arrive on Tuesday, Pete is out of town next week so they won't be looked at until he gets back.

Tracking number (again for future reference so I don't lose it): 1zR79W270332491044
Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #393
The Stig

Headers do not take 2.5 hours to install. I call on whomever decided that was all the time it takes to install headers. I started at 10 am FYI

The JBA mufflers.

More JBA exhaust stuffs

Video clip of open OEM headers

OEM headers vs Bassani headers

The header install wasn't too too bad. But I must have spent 30 min trying to get the dipstick back into it's hole. It was just a horrible version of ball in a cup. But with a dipstick and a hole.

Now for the gaskets. GM makes it very easy and simple so that you can reuse them on your LT headers. You have the word "Down" and an image of an arrow pointing down stamped into the gasket, and you want to be sure that the arrow is point down towards the ground.

Then you have a "Manifold side" stamp, you want this side to be facing your headers.

Driver's side completed:

So Bassani sent me off-road cats. Not what I ordered. This is strike one. I don't really have a choice but to install them and then switch them out later for their high flow cats.

:( empty pipe *tear*

So when I was attempting to install the cross over pipe I ran into a problem. The ends of the off road cats and the ends of the cross over pipe are both 2 and a half inches. Bassani says in their instructions to use the OEM sleeve clamps. Well.......I don't have my OEM exhaust, so no sleeve clamps. Had to make a trip to home depot, something I was not in the mood for mind you.

More to follow.....

Last edited by The Stig; 08-15-2011 at 05:23 PM.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #394
Darth_Emma

Those are off road pipes, not cats.

Good luck with the rest of the install.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #395
garcmol

Quote:
Those are off road pipes, not cats.

Good luck with the rest of the install.
+1 I hope you used the GM OEM exhaust manifold gaskets for the headers!!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #396
The Stig

Quote:
+1 I hope you used the GM OEM exhaust manifold gaskets for the headers!!
Yep. Enough people warned me about it that I was sure to reuse them.

And let me just say. I've got a big rant coming later.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #397
garcmol

Does it involve no cats and several thrown codes?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #398
The Stig

Quote:
Does it involve no cats and several thrown codes?
drove home and no thrown codes. I had Ted tune me after I had the JBA high flow cats put on, so I think that's why I didn't get a code. BUT anyway, rant time.

So anyway the whole "off road pipes" thing instead of cats bugged me. Not a lot, but I considered it to be strike one. I figure I can just shoot them an email later tonight explaining that I ordered their full system WITH cats. I honestly prefer cats for two reasons A) Ted tested it and their is no difference in horsepower between off road pipes and HF cats (there is a thread, but I'm in rant mode and not going to look for it) and B) I drive my little sisters around a lot and am not OK with them breathing in unburned fuel and such. So that was strike one.

Now strike two cam when I was trying to install the cross over piece. Bassani, in their instructions, tells you to use the OEM sleeve clap to connect the off road pipes to the cross over piece. Well that's all dandy IF I still had my OEM exhaust. But I already touched on that. So moving on......home depot was a complete waste (it was a long shot anyway) and then from there I went to Auto Zone which sells 2.5" sleeve clamps. But, they were sold out, so again a wash. I ended up having to line up the band clamps and pray that it seals alright. Though I plan on going to an Advanced Automotive tomorrow or Wednesday and seeing if they have any sleeve clamps. For those of you playing at home, that was strike two.

Now this last part, I can't really be *mad* at any body per say, as it is no one persons fault. It's just not something that I wanted on top of the already complicated install I was facing.

Yep, the end of the pipe is bashed in, making it impossible to fit onto the other pipe. Not that this was the end of the world, I ended up getting it bent back into shape and it worked out alright in the end. But it was just a huge hassle that I didn't want to deal with. (strike three btw).

I finished up the install at 4:30. So 6 hours. I figure exhaust is a 2 hour job and headers is a 2.5 hour job = 4.5 hours. So I only went an hour and a half over the "suggested" install time. At least half of which was me driving around trying to find a damn sleeve clamp

Anyway, I guess I should give my review of the headers and exhaust system now huh. Well it's pretty damn good. I was a little surprised that it was actually quieter than my JBA set up, but then I remembered my JBA system was 3" and not 2.5". There is a little bit of gurgling, not surprised considering the mid pipes to cross over are help together with a 1" wide band clamp. So the leaking I'm not shocked by, and honestly I can fix it in a jiffy once I get some sleeve clamps.

I was amazed though how quite it is inside the cabin. It's like I went back to the stock exhaust or something. Literally NO DRONE, I was shocked. I mean I had seen Bassani's videos where they measured drone with a decibel meter, but still: I'm impressed. It's like night and day going from my JBA exhaust to this. The cabin actually feels a little too quite now that the drone is gone. I did get on it a few times..... good noises is all I can say, and I expect them to get better once I fix the gurgling.

Last edited by The Stig; 08-15-2011 at 05:14 PM.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #399
The Stig

Wanted to put this into a separate post due to it not being related to the Bassani set up.

Chase from Apex got back to me, they are willing to give me store credit for my BMR springs......you know what that means MORE MODS. Just have to figure out what I want to get from Apex that is $215 or less. I looked at what they had for cut outs and they only have race readys; don't want that. If I'm going the cut out route I want to have them on a switch, that I can control from the driver's seat.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #400
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
I have alot of catching up to do, reading your build thread. Lol.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1