Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #51
10spokess
Wild and Cammed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
I like the blue actually makes the car unique
Old 04-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #52
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
I like the blue actually makes the car unique
Thanks. That's what I was leaning towards but I guess I just wanted to hear someone else's opinion.

So update time:

The side vent inserts are not holding up too well. The hard plastic wasn't/hasn't been able to conform to the gills. So I sucked it up and bought a second set, vinyl this time. Sometimes you screw up, only thing you can do is figure out how to fix it. The weather has been pretty rainy so I have yet to install the splitter. Hopefully can do that on wednesday but not sure. I'll be posting pictures once I do get it done though.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #53
The Stig

The modding just never ends....and I love it. Yesterday I installed a carbon fiber wrapped splitter from Showstoppers. Link the punching cat gave me great deal on it and was nice enough to ship it to me. Have to say that the install is a bit time consuming. It is damn near impossible to get the splitter to line up with all of the factory bumper holes. That part alone was at least an hour ish. Not that it is very hard by any means, I mean if you put a jack underneath the front end it'll be done in no time. It does involve drilling into the front bumper though (just five 1/4" holes on the bottom), something I could live with. That and it looks great. Here are a few pics.

I personally think it gives the car a really nice/aggressive stance. Though I don't know how that splitter is going to do when the drop springs come (plan is a split drop 1.4/1). I think it'll be alright. I mean I can get my head underneath it so not too worried (when I turn it to the side that is).

Name:  IMG_0721.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  163.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0722.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  159.6 KB

Now its time to think about the next one. Antenna delete! I got off the phone with Ofer (2SSRS) about an hour ago or so, I was asking him questions about his antenna relocation/delete. He put his into his passenger side mirror, but his set up was a bit complicated for me and I was not the biggest fan of needing to drill into the door. I'll drill into the bumper but not the door, that's where I draw the line. So what I'm planning on doing is relocating the antenna to the rear tray. All I need to do is take apart the interior, pop off some panels, and bend some metal (excited for this part ). Then its time to plug the hole and seal it up nice and tight so water doesn't leak. Needless to say, I will be taking pics.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #54
The Stig

Planning the mod list that I'll be going to Grabiak with next week when I drop Kaylee off. Aside from gloss black wheels and blue calipers I'm really trying to step away from cosmetic mods. Not because I don't like them, but I think it's time to start focusing on suspension for a little while. Leaning towards a split drop of 1.4/1.0 inches. I'm hesitant because I have read about how a split drop that is lower in the back is actually better for traction/handling/etc.

Though I do have a few more cosmetic mods on the way. I have figured out how to do a cheap XM antenna delete so I'm pretty happy . I'm also working with 6liter and getting my interior trim panels done in black chrome. I think it will really bring the interior together.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #55
The Stig

Porter Cables are AWESOME

All I have to say about them. Yesterday, in preparation for the GPC detail clinic on Saturday I polished and waxed Kaylee for a couple hours. Then followed that up with a interior detail (with Adam's leather interior and conditioner - man do I love this stuff). I am going to do some final tweaks/cleaning before Saturday, along with a XM antenna relocation mod. All I'm waiting on for that is a plug that Ofer so graciously sent me.

I am SO glad that car show season is back
Old 04-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #56
MANAWAR

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Can't wait to see Kaylee this Saturday.......

Bill

Philadelphia Phillies Fan
GPC
MANAWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #57
The Stig

MORE MODS

It really is an addiction, but no one besides my wallet gets hurt really. Anyway, I pulled the trigger on some new mods, plus the mods that are coming this Thursday when I drop Kaylee off at Grabiak Performance Center (which is awesome and quite possibly the best dealership I have ever been to - which is a lot). I was PMing Showstoppers last night, going back in forth blah blah blah I'm sure no one wants to hear about that part. So moving on. The mods I went with were their ADM air intake radiator cover (HERE) I went with this one because I have an injen and the ADM does a 90 degree turn coming out of the intake just like the injen does. Then I picked up a set of door kick panels, because lets be honest, everybody hits those occasionally. Both those those items are getting dipped in real carbon fiber.

Now at Grabiak, the mods are as follows:
- black gloss powder coated wheels
- calipers painted blue with black brembo logos
- 1" lowering springs

Needless to say, I'm excited for Thursday
Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #58
The Stig

So don't hate me here, but I was just informed that I won HP Addicts $250 facebook sweepstakes. Yay!

So, I know that that money is going to suspension mods, but I don't know anything beyond that. I'm leaning towards a bushings kit, but also considering sub-frame inserts, swat bars, or strut tower brace.

She's a daily driver so I don't want to sacrifice ride quality, but I also am planning to hit the track quite a bit this summer, both 1/4 mile and autocross. So the question I've got is: what do I go with?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #59
nomadicdogg

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Cyber Grey Camaro (sold)
bushings are a good idea, as are wheel hop eliminators. I plan on those 2 mods myself. as well as a strut tower brace "more for looks than anything though"

what tracks are you hitting btw?
nomadicdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #60
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicdogg View Post
bushings are a good idea, as are wheel hop eliminators. I plan on those 2 mods myself. as well as a strut tower brace "more for looks than anything though"

what tracks are you hitting btw?
Thats what I was thinking. Rear differential and rear suspension. HP Addicts has a kit for it so its perfect.

I'm heading back to the DC area for work come the 15th. So I'll probably be going to 79-80 (strip in lower Maryland).
Old 05-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #61
nomadicdogg

gone for whole summer?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #62
The Stig

Quote:
gone for whole summer?
Yep. Sorry to spring it on you like this
Old 05-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #63
nomadicdogg

ouch. and i thought we were getting like this "holding 2 fingers together"
but what ev's
Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #64
The Stig

Quote:
ouch. and i thought we were getting like this "holding 2 fingers together"
but what ev's
Hey, DC is not that far away, and besides I'll be back for Grabiak's next detail clinic

UPDATE:

Thanks to my $250 at HP Addicts I skipped the lowering springs at grabiak. Meaning, that Grabiak is doing my calipers, wheels, and 20% tint.

Then hopefully I will be able to get her on a dyno around the 21st (well that's my goal anyway). My next two weekends are pretty packed. Theoretically, and this is just going by what companies advertise: stock HP is 426 + Injen (advertised at +16 hp), + JBA high flow cats (checked out a few dyno sheets and conclusion is they add between 11-15 hp) = 453-457 at the crank. Then assuming 20% gets lost at the wheels --> 362 ish.

Which isn't too shabby if I do say so myself. BUT, this is theoretical. I have a JRE tune, so that comes into play. Then of course I'd prefer to get REAL dyno results vs some number crunching in my head. But, we shall see.

Last edited by The Stig; 05-05-2011 at 07:54 PM.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #65
nomadicdogg

if you think your getting me within 100 miles of dc youve been drinking way to much of that soapy tasting meadville water lol.
no thanks.
tis ok. will run into you again for sure
Old 05-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #66
The Stig

Quote:
if you think your getting me within 100 miles of dc youve been drinking way to much of that soapy tasting meadville water lol.
no thanks.
tis ok. will run into you again for sure
Eh fair enough. The traffic is enough to scare most people away. That and I am offended, we do not have soapy water in Meadville. It is lead flavoring
Old 05-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #67
Jabs

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS Stage 2
I would Love to see your car in Person we should meet sometime!

Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #68
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabs View Post
I would Love to see your car in Person we should meet sometime!
Definitely, I will be back in town on on the 15th so the weekend of the 21st we could get together or something.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #69
nomadicdogg

I grew up in meadville dude. Its soapy lol. I used to rinse my cup when I was 6 or so thinking it was soapy from doing dishes....
its a very unique flavor, one you dont forget. infact you prob walk past the 2 streets I grew up on all the time. we used to sledride down the hill near the wooden bridge with all the rododendrins. and of course the sundial area too
Old 05-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #70
The Stig

So I've run into a series of unfortunate events. Two to be exact, so its a short series of unfortunate events. We all know the economy sucks (less than a couple of years ago, but still sucking none the less).

I'm starting back at my full time job in a couple of weeks (personal assistant; don't judge). Which I am totally happy about, but what I'm not so happy about is the pay cut; went down by $11 (hourly pay).

With all that being said, I had to adjust some things. First, I PM'd Jason from Grabiak Performance Center (GPC1) and told him to hold off on the window tint. I already have 35%, so going to 20% isn't a necessity. Then again what really is a "necessity" when modding a car?

Of course I'm going to be spending the $250 from HP Addicts; that is going to get me rear cradle and differential bushings. I'm also still going to try and get her on a dyno as well. But the wish list of suspension mods will have to go on the back burner. I want to thank Tag for helping me with that list.

Thats it for now, hopefully will have some pictures of her new wheels and calipers soon. Then aiming to do a photo shoot around mid this week. Whenever I get her back from Grabiak.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #71
The Stig

Just pulled the trigger on my HP Addicts $250 coupon code. Not going to lie, the checkout screen made me grin quite a bit.

Name:  Screen shot 2011-05-08 at 10.15.47 PM.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  60.7 KB
Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #72
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt VR/RS CGM Rally's
did you win the 250 or what?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #73
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt View Post
did you win the 250 or what?
Yes I won the $250. Here is the link to their page that had the contest.

HP Addict's Facebook Page
Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #74
The Stig

Update:

Last edited by The Stig; 06-07-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Tact
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #75
nomadicdogg

Really? I am just sayin here, but your wheels were pretty fugly to say the least. curbed pretty bad. Used wheels usually are. Then add in the salt from NW PA which eats them as well. You even admited they were scuffed in the post. Did you see if They could do anything before you posted this? Ive had absolutly nothing but good there. I cant see them gouging anybody. tact is prob something to use in this case. May get you further than bashing, even if its just a little bit of bashing

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1