Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #76
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicdogg View Post
Really? I am just sayin here, but your wheels were pretty fugly to say the least. curbed pretty bad. Used wheels usually are. Then add in the salt from NW PA which eats them as well. You even admited they were scuffed in the post. Did you see if They could do anything before you posted this? Ive had absolutly nothing but good there. I cant see them gouging anybody. tact is prob something to use in this case. May get you further than bashing, even if its just a little bit of bashing
Hey Tony,

I did admit my wheels were curbed and scuffed, not denying that fact in the least. I just wish Jason had informed me of him not accepting my wheels as an exchange before I OK'd the powder coating and they did the swap. I can understand how this comes off as bashing, but I again want to clarify: I LOVE Grabiak Chevrolet. They are the BEST dealership I have ever dealt with.

Last edited by The Stig; 05-09-2011 at 05:05 PM.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #77
nomadicdogg

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Cyber Grey Camaro (sold)
yea I get the frustration. for sure. It might not of been his decision to make about not accepting them as trade in. Maybe someone saw them and said, oh hell no. once a wheel is curbed badly you really are hard pressed to find someone who wants one.

I dont know the ins and outs of your conversation, just saw this post and shared my thoughts. Can you just keep your non coated wheels and run them in the winter? can you sell the scuffed ones to someone just looking for wheels to run in winter only or for someone who is maybe going to plasti-coat or something that would blend the scuffs in?
Im sure you can work something out with him. I just know the service there and from what Ive seen even it being a 2 hour drive each way, id be there for everything just from how they have treated me from day one.
nomadicdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #78
The Stig

Just got off the phone with Jason, and all I can say is wow. He was great, he understood my feeling of being blindsided this morning and my frustration. This whole situation falls back on to me though, I do remember telling Jason that yea my wheels were scuffed, but they were good. So that is 100% my fault. Note to self: be more descriptive when talking about things. Jason and I worked out a system/deal, so everything did end up working out in the end. Going to have to write that man a nice thank you card for all the help he has done.

Last edited by The Stig; 05-09-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #79
bo3adlah

Drives: Camaro SS
very awesome ride man!
so the aac ccfl are smooth and the other type are the dotted ones ?
mods : bb stripes , showstopper side markers , grill blackout , trunk blackout , interior AAC blue bulb , removed grill ss emblem , the bee-otch and disco ball ,concept diffuser , concept side mirrors.

soon to come: taillights , maybe wheels , interior roof alcantra material .
bo3adlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #80
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo3adlah View Post
very awesome ride man!
so the aac ccfl are smooth and the other type are the dotted ones ?
Yes. They offer CCFL and SMD. The SMDs are LEDs where the CCFL is a gas I believe, or something similar.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:38 AM   #81
bo3adlah

Drives: Camaro SS
very very cool
thanks
i think i might cop these if the concept afterburners arent released soon !
mods : bb stripes , showstopper side markers , grill blackout , trunk blackout , interior AAC blue bulb , removed grill ss emblem , the bee-otch and disco ball ,concept diffuser , concept side mirrors.

soon to come: taillights , maybe wheels , interior roof alcantra material .
bo3adlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #82
The Stig

Kind of annoyed a bit. On my drive from Meadville, PA back to Great Falls, VA I lost one of my static cling tail light tints I noticed it when I got to the hotel last night, and upon closer inspection I saw that I was close to losing the other 3 as well To save myself the lawsuit of one of these bad boys flying off and hitting the poor car behind me while driving I just took them all off. Will be ordering a new set of headlight armor stealth tints this week for sure. The lights are just too bright without the tints on, I just loved that when I had my parking lights on the afterburners just had the faint glow to them while the rest of the tail light was still dark.

ALSO, this week: antenna delete/relocation. It's happening. I know I have been saying that for about 2 weeks now, but I've got this whole week off (work doesn't pick up til next week). I will be doing a photo DIY and before/after pictures here.

There are also new/updated pictures in my OP.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #83
tples69
Blaq Out

Drives: Hummer H2, 2010 Camaro RS/2SS
Nice ride... do you do pic requests? If so, how about some more of the stocking clad legs?
tples69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #84
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tples69 View Post
Nice ride... do you do pic requests? If so, how about some more of the stocking clad legs?
Haha thanks don't do pic requests like that sorry.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #85
The Stig

Plasti Dipping my Wheels & RX catch can

I know that plasti-dipping is getting mixed reviews, between the DIY guys and the "just get them powder coated" guys. The way I saw it was: what's the worst that can happen? I don't like it and then I peel it off? I can live with that. So I went to town. Had to go to 2 Home Depot stores to get this stuff. The first Home Depot was sold out of the spray kind. Well anyway, here are the pictures. The wheels are about half done, going to let them sit for awhile/overnight and then put two or so more heavy coats on. I just created a thread that has a bunch of tips (which I found on the internets) on how to use plasti dip. Plasti Dip Application Tips

My wheels

My wheels with painters tape

My wheels with painters tape and a few light coats

Zoomed in

Final Result
Name:  c6e4c03a-2f79-002c.jpg
Views: 7466
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  c6e4c03a-2f8e-d8b6.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  44.2 KB

I also installed an RX oil catch can. Let's just say my current catch can was/is no longer performing at the level I expect it to. Yea, leave it at that.

Last edited by The Stig; 06-07-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #86
MANAWAR

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Wheels look awesome.......

Philadelphia Phillies Fan
GPC
MANAWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #87
The Stig

FatMat

I did this mod awhile ago, but never actually got around to putting pictures up. I bought the FatMat trunk kit, more than enough to cover the trunk. I ended up using the extra to cover the bottom of the rear seats, and I still have one whole sheet left.

Last edited by The Stig; 06-07-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #88
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt VR/RS CGM Rally's
what does that sheet do in the trunk
Old 05-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #89
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt View Post
what does that sheet do in the trunk
It is sound deadener. Basically it is an insulator: keeps the outside sounds (road noise etc) out and the inside sounds (kick ass music) in.

Last edited by The Stig; 06-07-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #90
The Stig

Pictures

Last edited by The Stig; 06-07-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #91
MANAWAR

Stieger,
Do you know the price for the satellite antenna that isn't painted?

GPC
Old 05-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #92
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man'o'war View Post
Stieger,
Do you know the price for the satellite antenna that isn't painted?
GM Parts House sells the satellite antenna for $35.05 plus shipping. Then a can of color matched paint from your dealer: maybe $20 and you've just saved a bunch of moneys!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #93
MANAWAR

Thanks for the info.......

GPC
Old 05-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #94
The Stig

New Suspension parts BMR's rear cradle and rear differential bushings. As well as the steering rack mount bushing. Though there is a cut in the steering rack bushing. Is this normal? I'm planning on calling BMR come Monday, but it would be nice to know now.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #95
The Stig

XM Antenna Relocation

So, I posted this in a DIY thread that Ofer started LINK but I also wanted to put it in here seeing as it is part of my build and what not. Well, here goes nothing.

OK so relocating the XM antenna. Loads of fun right there. Took me about 3-4 hours (I wasn't really keeping track, my bad). So first off, to remove the XM antenna I used GTAHVIT's thread --> HERE. Great use of the youtube if I do say so myself. Now moving on to what I did differently than Ofer. Instead of relocating the antenna to the side mirror I moved it to underneath the third brake light. In my opinion, it's a much easier relocation (no offense Ofer).

This first video is me removing the C pillar covers and the safety clips that attach them (so they don't fly off and kill you when the airbags deploy.

This next video is me kind of rambling. But it's important stuff. Like fiberglass related stuff. So watch it, for your own benefit at least. Save yourself what I am currently going through.

This next video explains how to unclip the wiring harness from the roof/metal frame of the car. Pretty basic stuff. Again fiberglass, so be careful.

I'm talking about the cap I used and my plan of attack.

Explaining how to unscrew the antenna from the plastic. It was funny actually. I spent about 15 minutes looking for my keys (I don't like being separated from my key fob). Then after all that looking I found them......in the ignition. WOW I am a smart one.

Disassembled antenna

This is an image of where I ran the wiring harness for the antenna. It takes a bit of muscle to pop up those rivets, but you won't break anything. Promise. Then you just need to work it back up in there.

The finished product. See all hidden.

The final result. Awesome right? It's awesome.

Last edited by The Stig; 06-07-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #96
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
No offense taken, "If i know then what we know now" more then likely do it the same way, Know i liked you we have the same tile.LOL
Old 05-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #97
The Stig

So I've still got the suspension modding bug running through me, but I don't know if I've got tunnel vision or not. Let's say I've got $400 that I want to spend on mods, do I go all suspension? Suspension and performance? I really don't need any more cosmetic mods, but at the same time T3 ports have been making googly eyes at me for a few months now.

Really what I'm getting at is other people's input. Not because I can't make an informed decision myself (I can use the Internets and Google pretty well), but because I value all of your input. I know I wouldn't be where I am and Kaylee wouldn't be the bad ass car she is today if not for Camaro5.

The hypothetical mod list:
- sway bars
- lowering springs
- T3 ports
- ported TB

Yes I know that all of these in total cost more than $400, I would just get $400 worth of mods. Now, any suggestions/comments to my hypothetical list
Old 05-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #98
The Stig

Aluminum plug for the XM antenna that sits flush with the roof

So I'm sitting at my desk today, on camaro5 (yes I am on the forum at work don't judge) and I came across a post in 2SSRS's XM antenna relocation thread. See HERE. This guy took a piece of flat aluminum bar and worked it down and into the shape of the hole. Then just used some silicon to seal it up nice and tight.

Well, of course I need to attempt this. I checked home depot and it will only run me like $20 for the vixen files and aluminum bar. (The aluminum comes in 48" lengths, going to have SO much extra). But for $20 and a few hours of my time it's worth it. I just can't seem to get the plug to sit flat with the roof. Their is always one little part that sticks up. Then I'm paranoid about it raining and my headliner getting ruined. I talked with 2SSRS about this and he suggested I use some tar. Which is working great, just having that plug there bugs me. My eyes are just drawn to it. Now don't get me wrong, it is MUCH better than having the antenna. I'm just particular when it comes to Kaylee.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #99
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt VR/RS CGM Rally's
soo i got my fox mat today and it was worth the 50bucks i took off the side panels and put them all over the metal thanks for the mod idea!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #100
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt View Post
soo i got my fox mat today and it was worth the 50bucks i took off the side panels and put them all over the metal thanks for the mod idea!!!
Glad I could help. I found that doing the whole trunk and underside of the rear deck helps with the sound system more so than getting rid of drone. Though, I only really get drone at like 2K in 6th gear (75 ish mph)

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1