Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Old 03-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Best location for owning convertible? Not Florida!

Whats the most practical location for owning a convertible in the US as a daily driver?

I took a look at the convertible that arrived at my local dealer (black/black/black). It's an awesome machine, but seeing it baking in the sun had me thinking. This is not the best vehicle as a south Florida daily driver. The same goes for any convertible without a light colored top and light interior, imho.

Consider: the sun is brutal here from June through October. When not sunny, you get torrential downpours every day for an hour. It's so hot, in fact that given the two choices (top up or down), you're screwed either way. The black top will bake and fade to a sun-bleached purple within a few years, and the top down will cook the dark interior like a frying pan. For added fun, the leather and vinyl will deteriorate at different rates. Black cloth would fade very fast.

If you only bring it out during the good weather, you're golden (November through May), or maybe you can drive it at night. But as a daily driver? Not so much. I guess this includes AZ, TX, NM summers as well.

I like the coupe's tomb like protection from UV. Maybe I'm a vampire.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
You do understand you don't have to put the top down right? I had a red 95 Z28 with a black top and it NEVER felt as hot inside as my red 98 SS with a black hard top after parking it in the sun. Both had black leather also.
Texas is great for a convertible!
I have a two car garage and a three car carport so mine won't be baking in the sun too often.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Without Remorse

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
Whats the most practical location for owning a convertible in the US as a daily driver?

I took a look at the convertible that arrived at my local dealer (black/black/black). It's an awesome machine, but seeing it baking in the sun had me thinking. This is not the best vehicle as a south Florida daily driver. The same goes for any convertible without a light colored top and light interior, imho.

Consider: the sun is brutal here from June through October. When not sunny, you get torrential downpours every day for an hour. It's so hot, in fact that given the two choices (top up or down), you're screwed either way. The black top will bake and fade to a sun-bleached purple within a few years, and the top down will cook the dark interior like a frying pan. For added fun, the leather and vinyl will deteriorate at different rates. Black cloth would fade very fast.

If you only bring it out during the good weather, you're golden (November through May), or maybe you can drive it at night. But as a daily driver? Not so much. I guess this includes AZ, TX, NM summers as well.

I like the coupe's tomb like protection from UV. Maybe I'm a vampire.
I travel to San Diego on business quite a bit. The weather there is beautiful all year. 70-80 with very low humidity. It doesn't get much better than that.

Without Remorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
outlaw2

Drives: 12 SS/RS Conv, 66 Impala SS Conv
Nevada 300+ days of sunshine,open roads for MILES but a black softtop will really bake you in the summer with it stowed up. No more black anything for me but I will take a Ragtop anytime of the year here. Dec thru Feb its Cold but Sunny it depends on how HardCore of a Ragtop man you wanna be. Giving up the Harley for a Ragtop with a GOOD heater is a must bucket list for the winter months
Old 03-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
Any state is great for a conv.!!
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: SW 11' 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, Blk/Blk
Hmmm... to each their own, but im LOVING my vert here on Floridas Treasure Coast! Before it, I had a 99 w T-Tops and leather, only time the tops were on was when it rained! I moved to Fl for the heat and the sun so I love it! Bought the vert to be able to enjoy it that much more. I have blk leather interior - I have thin black towels I stow in the trunk and cover the seats with if I leave it out in the sun w the top down or when drivig without a shirt...

I use New Finish for a good base coat of wax and 303 fabric protectant for the top...don't forsee any problems!

btw- SSLARRY; Im putting together a C5 meet n greet Sat March 19 around 5pm in PSL if your interested and near. PM me for details.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
leeky
2011 2SS/RS vert

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT Convertible
:5thgenvert: Florida is the perfect place for a convertible... I currently drive a convertible... and have had no problems with fading on my top or leather seats.... so I am sure my Camaro Convertible will not have any problems either.. I keep mine stored in the garage when I am not out driving... and I leave the top down..... unless there is rain...
leeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
Kona, Hawaii would be perfect. Although, I don't think it will be too bad here in NC.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
united1

Drives: slpzl585vert.
Hawaii is the perfect place for a vert all year.
united1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
I would think Northern CA would be the best place. Cool winters, but not terribly wet or cold. Temperate/warm summers, but enough shade and trees to keep it out of the sun if you had to.

The problem with the driest places like AZ, and Texas is that the sun (both heat and UV) completely kills convertible tops and interiors.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
Augie1978

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Vert
Triple black vert on the way to central Illinois. It does get hot here but I will deal with it!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
BWProductions
StormTrooper

Drives: SW 2SS/RS Vert with Beige top soon
Michigan!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
ctinatx

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS Convertible
So, I plan on driving mine around with the top down here in Austin,Tx. This is my daily driver too. Now when August comes around I might not do it too much in the middle of the day when it is 100+.

I watched an episode of King of the Hill recently and it had the following lines. They just seem apropos.

Bobby Hill: Or, how about this? What do hipsters like? Cool things! So, we build a place called Coolsville and fill it with cool stuff. In Coolsville, there is music everywhere and everyone owns convertibles.
Hank Hill: Ugh! Sounds like Austin.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
oldfriend

Drives: 2010 SS BLK IO interior
I WILL HAVE TO GO WITH DUBAI /ALASKA
Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
Phx's gets mighty hot w/ the top down in July, but the AC helps! I borrowed my parents' SLK a few years ago (when they were out of town) and I drove it in the middle of summer w/ the top down wearing my tie for work and sweating my butt off just for the top down effect
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #16
LOCKENESS-MONSTA

Drives: Like a pro
Well i live in az and right now its great and also in the fall its great but the summer is like an oven but thats why they make tops on them
LOCKENESS-MONSTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #17
swagled

Drives: Y2000 Olds Intrigue
Florida has BUGS galore, though. I remember driving a rental in Florida when those "Love Bugs" were out and making a *mess* all over that car... Yuck
swagled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #18
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Without Remorse View Post
I travel to San Diego on business quite a bit. The weather there is beautiful all year. 70-80 with very low humidity. It doesn't get much better than that.
Oh Yea! 76 and sunny
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote