Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
dereklburt

Drives: 2006 Lotus Elise GM 3.6DI
What size turbo for single turbo set up?

I was trying to look at different compressor maps and figure out what size turbo would be best for a single set up on the 3.6 DI. For starters, does anyone know what turbo STS is using? Based on my estimates, it looks like you would probably need a larger turbo to get the required air to make good power at 6-10psi (maybe 10 is pushing it but that is why I started the other thread). I also still want something that will spool quickly. I looked at several and I am thinking I would probably need a GT35 series.

I was previoulsy looking at using a LS4 V8 in my project and they make a turbo set up for that engine that uses a T66 turbo. The LS4 is a larger displacement at 5.4 liters but it makes about the same power. Stock it is about 240whp and with the turbo at low boost (6-10psi) they make up to about 500whp with it. Obvioulsy the 3.6 is more efficient as it makes the same power out of a smaller motor, but I also think that the turbo might have to be slightly bigger to pump the same air as the LS4 has more displacement to start with (considering the same boost). But maybe I am wrong as the engine also is more efficient.

I would love to hear opinions as I am by no means an expert, or from people that are actually running a turbo.
dereklburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
unrestrictedmotorsports

Drives: 2011 Comp 6 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereklburt View Post
I was trying to look at different compressor maps and figure out what size turbo would be best for a single set up on the 3.6 DI. For starters, does anyone know what turbo STS is using? Based on my estimates, it looks like you would probably need a larger turbo to get the required air to make good power at 6-10psi (maybe 10 is pushing it but that is why I started the other thread). I also still want something that will spool quickly. I looked at several and I am thinking I would probably need a GT35 series.

I was previoulsy looking at using a LS4 V8 in my project and they make a turbo set up for that engine that uses a T66 turbo. The LS4 is a larger displacement at 5.4 liters but it makes about the same power. Stock it is about 240whp and with the turbo at low boost (6-10psi) they make up to about 500whp with it. Obvioulsy the 3.6 is more efficient as it makes the same power out of a smaller motor, but I also think that the turbo might have to be slightly bigger to pump the same air as the LS4 has more displacement to start with (considering the same boost). But maybe I am wrong as the engine also is more efficient.

I would love to hear opinions as I am by no means an expert, or from people that are actually running a turbo.

I believe the standard turbine is a 58mm and the upgrade is 67mm. We have the smaller on our Comp 6 and we went with the smaller so it will spool up faster.
unrestrictedmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote