Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #501
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,748
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Exclamation help... speedo issue.

Hey Everyone... got an issue.

we finally got the 3rd trans installed... 10 weeks later. haha. we had an issue with some malfunctioning shifter cables too.. but I think we are passed that.

now, for some reason the speedo (both analog and digital) are reading the RPM from the tach. all three go off of engine speed and jump as i shift. This new trans should bolt right in, and is full manual anyway. Nothing else should have been touched. for the 6 miles that were put on the 2nd transmission the speedo worked correctly.

Also, the battery keeps dying, trying to track that short down still. I think it is the melted AFR controller, but we have it cleaned up and insulated now.

Have you came across this speedo issue before? Could it be fixed with a computer flash maybe?

any leads would be appreciated.
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #502
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,723
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
Kyle, its very likely that you're chasing an electrical open... because that would not only explain the dying battery, but also the jumping tach and speedo.

I dont think a computer reflash will cure this one... its possible, but I really doubt it.
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #503
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 14,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Kyle is my hero

He's gonna have some great stories to tell the grandkids if he can remember them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
Hey Everyone... got an issue.

we finally got the 3rd trans installed... 10 weeks later. haha. we had an issue with some malfunctioning shifter cables too.. but I think we are passed that.

now, for some reason the speedo (both analog and digital) are reading the RPM from the tach. all three go off of engine speed and jump as i shift. This new trans should bolt right in, and is full manual anyway. Nothing else should have been touched. for the 6 miles that were put on the 2nd transmission the speedo worked correctly.

Also, the battery keeps dying, trying to track that short down still. I think it is the melted AFR controller, but we have it cleaned up and insulated now.

Have you came across this speedo issue before? Could it be fixed with a computer flash maybe?

any leads would be appreciated.
The speedo is reading engine rpm? Got some crossed/shorted wires someplace if that's the case.

I'm no good with the new ecm/bcm cars, does the speedo & tach signal feed thru the bcm?
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Great Racing Quotes

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #504
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,748
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
Kyle, its very likely that you're chasing an electrical open... because that would not only explain the dying battery, but also the jumping tach and speedo.

I dont think a computer reflash will cure this one... its possible, but I really doubt it.
whats an electrical open... and where can i find him. haha

lol, does that mean a short somewhere.. there were lots of fried wires under the car.. like the AFR controller that is still broke. but I think we isolated all of these and repaired them.

whats the best way to go about tracking it down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
He's gonna have some great stories to tell the grandkids if he can remember them

The speedo is reading engine rpm? Got some crossed/shorted wires someplace if that's the case.

I'm no good with the new ecm/bcm cars, does the speedo & tach signal feed thru the bcm?
amen rev

I am not sure, the 2nd tranny worked fine, the 3rd one has the issue, but i think that 4L80E is all manual, so not sure if any of it is tied into a computer?
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #505
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Drives: under contruction
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 13,151
I'd say you could use the lemon law on this car, but I'm not sure they'd go for it in your case.
__________________
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #506
JETG
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 502
Damn, bad luck for sure. Now on tranny 3, wow just crazy. How did the wires get fried, I didnt read that part ???
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #507
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,748
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I'd say you could use the lemon law on this car, but I'm not sure they'd go for it in your case.
haha... right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
Damn, bad luck for sure. Now on tranny 3, wow just crazy. How did the wires get fried, I didnt read that part ???
I didnt post all those details from the summer... lots of stuff was found and corrected. hahaha.

wiring in two different locations were melted very severely. it was secured in a poor spot and not very securely. I will leave it at that.
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #508
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 14,237
Where was the fire, and what did it burn? Was it after or before the speedo quit working? Was the fire after you replaced the trans that you got a good speedo signal from?

You'll only get speedo (vss) signal from the trans. The rev signal is coming from the ecm via the crank sensor (right?)

So unless the rev signal loops down to the trans then back up (not likely but possible I suppose) then I would start at the ecm, check for good vss signal outIF the above is correct.

I hate electrical problems.

And Turtle said, "Yup, you got a short someplace."
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Great Racing Quotes

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 08-15-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #509
JETG
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
haha... right!



I didnt post all those details from the summer... lots of stuff was found and corrected. hahaha.

wiring in two different locations were melted very severely. it was secured in a poor spot and not very securely. I will leave it at that.

That really sux's after you first deal and then this...
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #510
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 23,968
I'm thinking a crossed wire issue... Seems with Russ there were a few electrical wire tracing that took place to get everything to work as advertised...
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #511
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,748
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'm thinking a crossed wire issue... Seems with Russ there were a few electrical wire tracing that took place to get everything to work as advertised...
ha.. awesome.. now I have to figure out why this one.. and not the others has a electrical wire issue.... s o b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Where was the fire, and what did it burn? Was it after or before the speedo quit working? Was the fire after you replaced the trans that you got a good speedo signal from?
there was no fire.. just clumps of wires (starter, ARF, meth line) that was melting on the headers. So we have been cleaning, replacing and insulating.
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #512
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 14,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
ha.. awesome.. now I have to figure out why this one.. and not the others has a electrical wire issue.... s o b



there was no fire.. just clumps of wires (starter, ARF, meth line) that was melting on the headers. So we have been cleaning, replacing and insulating.
So the melted wires shouldn't have anything to do with the speed/rev/ometer ...I know it's not funny, but it kinda is

If that's the only thing that changed, you'd think it HAS to be the VSS or the connector... something changed

Maybe your trans. builder can give you some insight... if that seems to be the only thing that changed before the problem popped up.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Great Racing Quotes

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 08-15-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #513
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 6,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
whats an electrical open... and where can i find him. haha

lol, does that mean a short somewhere.. there were lots of fried wires under the car.. like the AFR controller that is still broke. but I think we isolated all of these and repaired them.

whats the best way to go about tracking it down?



amen rev

I am not sure, the 2nd tranny worked fine, the 3rd one has the issue, but i think that 4L80E is all manual, so not sure if any of it is tied into a computer?
Bummer Kyle.

Now you know why the wiring in the SST took so long. We had to re-pin everything so the all systems would talk to each other the right way.

Best of luck with tranny #3.
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #514
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,748
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Bummer Kyle.

Now you know why the wiring in the SST took so long. We had to re-pin everything so the all systems would talk to each other the right way.

Best of luck with tranny #3.
yup... its a pain. I think something is different about #3 than 2 and 1.. but not sure what it would be. We will track it down. I think this weekend I can actually put some miles on it. Pretty stoked about that. we will see.

It is going in for an alignment wednesday. if it makes it there and back, then I will start feeling more confident. haha
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #515
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,748
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
FML!!

Of course this would happen to me!!!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #516
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,760
WTH????

is that normal?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #517
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Drives: under contruction
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 13,151
Maybe it's time to find a different insurance company?
__________________
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #518
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,748
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Maybe it's time to find a different insurance company?
No one will touch my car. I tried to get it insured for its current value, but they wanted 6k a year!
Lots of issues in this department... I just had to get it legal fast, This doesnt reallly mean much.

Wish I had some options that actually worked. Michigan sucks for insurance, bottom line.
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #519
JETG
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 502
Man to bad you dont still claim texas as residence and have a address to claim the insurance here for it. Then just drive/trailer it back here to vist ever so often, and you just work in Michigan for the time being, but your residence is in Texas. Which means you file you taxes here also, and no state tax

Use to work for Ameritech, then SBC and now ATT there, and I did claim my residence here in texas. I wouldnt even transfer my lic or anything. Just Texas was my home and kept all my stuff legit through Texas and didnt have to pay state tax..

Good luck
J
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #520
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'm thinking a crossed wire issue... Seems with Russ there were a few electrical wire tracing that took place to get everything to work as advertised...
Kyle's car is completely different than mine, because his started as a 6 speed manual. My computer was still looking for a trans computer, while his doesn't know anything has changed.
__________________
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #521
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 14,237
Unplug the vss just for kicks n giggles... see what happens. Same connector on the auto and manual?
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Great Racing Quotes

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #522
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 23,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Kyle's car is completely different than mine, because his started as a 6 speed manual. My computer was still looking for a trans computer, while his doesn't know anything has changed.
True... but I believe his speedo was working with Trans #2
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #523
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,215
Good Lord, man...

Insurance companies can be pretty ridiculous...
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #524
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,748
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
True... but I believe his speedo was working with Trans #2
yea.. Owen called me, he thinks the input and output plugs are switched, so we will try flipping those, actually Robert told me to do that the other day too. But I am not sure I know where these are, will have to make sure I find the correct ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Good Lord, man...

Insurance companies can be pretty ridiculous...
aaah.. yea..
michigan sucks for insurance. Texas was easy.
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #525
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 23,968
Fingers crossed on a good solid run this weekend...
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
427, camaro of the week, detroit, gilmour, texigan, the circle, the mother of all twins

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th Annual GM Performance Parts LSX Shootout!! nmcajeff Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 3 07-30-2010 12:05 PM
4th Annual GM Performance Parts LSX Shootout!! nmcajeff Off-topic Discussions 0 07-28-2010 08:28 AM
Detroit muscle question xxbrankxx General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 08-19-2009 12:08 AM
Sad day for detroit muscle.. Corvette next to be axed? camarofanatic General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 33 05-03-2009 06:43 PM
Top Gear - Dodge Challenger & American Muscle Cars Tran General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 8 04-24-2008 10:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.