Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #732
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
Hey Guys..

how would one go about finding an electrical drain?

for the last 6 months my car has been dying if it sits for more than 4-5 days.
I have a battery tender on it all the time now, but how would i go about tracking down there the short is coming from?
There are more sophisticated methods, but I would start with the circuits that have been wired into. i.e. a meth pump and just pull that fuse and see if the battery still drains. Work your way through the custom wiring as that is the most likely place.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #733
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,747
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There are more sophisticated methods, but I would start with the circuits that have been wired into. i.e. a meth pump and just pull that fuse and see if the battery still drains. Work your way through the custom wiring as that is the most likely place.
thanks JP...

do i have to wait a few days to tell if the battery is draining or can I hook a volt meter up to it and see it drain real time?
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #734
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
thanks JP...

do i have to wait a few days to tell if the battery is draining or can I hook a volt meter up to it and see it drain real time?
That is exactly the idea. Sooner or later you'll pull the fuse that shows a drop on the meter.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #735
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,747
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
CV joints spraying grease

Has anyone else ran into this.

CV joints end up spraying grease? The first set of DSS halfshafts did this as well. The boots were actually torn.
this is my second set from DSS and they are spraying grease again, but the boots are not ripped. (both axels) (less than 1000k miles on them)

I spoke with another shop this weekend that said they have had the same issue with the stock halfshafts. They figure out it has to do with lowering the car and the way the car squats coming out of the hole, even if just a 1/4 inch, they can pull the boots a part from the rest of the unit.

They fixed this on their shop car by bumping up the coilovers a little bit.
I only have 1in drop springs in the rear, I wonder how I can fix this issue?

Now I have to pull the axels out again to get repacked, but I know it will do it again without a remedy.
They told me I would not have this issue with the either the DSS 9in, 12 bolt, or the lingenfelter rear end, but I will not be installing this till later in the summer.

Any one else notice this in their cars? Unless you recently had your car up on the rack, you may have to go look for grease.


(ROBERT)... did you see this when you tore out the stock rear end?)

thanks
Attached Images
  
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #736
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Drives: under contruction
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 13,149
tkrupinski had something like this happen where the driveshaft meets the transmission.

Are hose DSS axles that are doing that? I'd ask Frank about it if they are.
__________________
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #737
jrpxxii


 
jrpxxii's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Posts: 3,359
Kyle - my stock axles did the exact same thing after I put 1" coil overs on. I now have the GForce 9" kit and axles along with the Santhuff coilovers and have zero issues with grease. I figured when my stock ones started leaking it had to do with the angle change with drop springs. Just put the 9" kit in it and be done. You need it anyways.
__________________
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #738
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
Has anyone else ran into this.

CV joints end up spraying grease? The first set of DSS halfshafts did this as well. The boots were actually torn.
this is my second set from DSS and they are spraying grease again, but the boots are not ripped. (both axels) (less than 1000k miles on them)

I spoke with another shop this weekend that said they have had the same issue with the stock halfshafts. They figure out it has to do with lowering the car and the way the car squats coming out of the hole, even if just a 1/4 inch, they can pull the boots a part from the rest of the unit.

They fixed this on their shop car by bumping up the coilovers a little bit.
I only have 1in drop springs in the rear, I wonder how I can fix this issue?

Now I have to pull the axels out again to get repacked, but I know it will do it again without a remedy.
They told me I would not have this issue with the either the DSS 9in, 12 bolt, or the lingenfelter rear end, but I will not be installing this till later in the summer.

Any one else notice this in their cars? Unless you recently had your car up on the rack, you may have to go look for grease.


(ROBERT)... did you see this when you tore out the stock rear end?)

thanks
The grease in the OE half-shaft and some aftermarket shafts is too low a temperature for lowered vehicles. The seal is designed only to keep things out as the grease is supposed to maintain viscosity. Ina lowered car, the CV joint develops more heat. The heat liquefies the grease and it is thrown out of the boot.

The solution is to repack the CV joint with a high temp synthetic lube.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #739
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,747
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
tkrupinski had something like this happen where the driveshaft meets the transmission.

Are hose DSS axles that are doing that? I'd ask Frank about it if they are.
yes, they are DSS, ARD already told Frank the first time this happened.
This other shop was working with Frank trying to determine the issue, they ended up deciding it was the extra angle the axels have under load.... at lift off. haha.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Kyle - my stock axles did the exact same thing after I put 1" coil overs on. I now have the GForce 9" kit and axles along with the Santhuff coilovers and have zero issues with grease. I figured when my stock ones started leaking it had to do with the angle change with drop springs. Just put the 9" kit in it and be done. You need it anyways.
yes... it was more than likely the angle change. shouldnt there be a warning when getting drop springs that this might happen? and is it happening to everyone?

I will be getting either the 12 bolt hammerhead or the 9in from DSS, but until then... i dont want to keep slinging grease. I think if I take these out, get them repacked, that it will happen again rather quickly.
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #740
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,747
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The grease in the OE half-shaft and some aftermarket shafts is too low a temperature for lowered vehicles. The seal is designed only to keep things out as the grease is supposed to maintain viscosity. Ina lowered car, the CV joint develops more heat. The heat liquefies the grease and it is thrown out of the boot.

The solution is to repack the CV joint with a high temp synthetic lube.
interesting... that would be why it is coming out without an actual tear this time... it is more of a liquid form, it must solidfy fairly quickly as it is kind of chunky where it is being slung.

do you have a recommended brand of high temp lube? Or a temp that it must be suitable to?
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #741
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
interesting... that would be why it is coming out without an actual tear this time... it is more of a liquid form, it must solidfy fairly quickly as it is kind of chunky where it is being slung.

do you have a recommended brand of high temp lube? Or a temp that it must be suitable to?
As cold as it gets there it's probably freezing in the air!
__________________
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #742
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator
 
SSE 4 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kyle Tx
Posts: 14,138
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
Has anyone else ran into this.

CV joints end up spraying grease? The first set of DSS halfshafts did this as well. The boots were actually torn.
this is my second set from DSS and they are spraying grease again, but the boots are not ripped. (both axels) (less than 1000k miles on them)

I spoke with another shop this weekend that said they have had the same issue with the stock halfshafts. They figure out it has to do with lowering the car and the way the car squats coming out of the hole, even if just a 1/4 inch, they can pull the boots a part from the rest of the unit.

They fixed this on their shop car by bumping up the coilovers a little bit.
I only have 1in drop springs in the rear, I wonder how I can fix this issue?

Now I have to pull the axels out again to get repacked, but I know it will do it again without a remedy.
They told me I would not have this issue with the either the DSS 9in, 12 bolt, or the lingenfelter rear end, but I will not be installing this till later in the summer.

Any one else notice this in their cars? Unless you recently had your car up on the rack, you may have to go look for grease.


(ROBERT)... did you see this when you tore out the stock rear end?)

thanks
Not at all, and my car is lowered as well...
__________________
If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow. -Ross Bentley

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #743
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
interesting... that would be why it is coming out without an actual tear this time... it is more of a liquid form, it must solidfy fairly quickly as it is kind of chunky where it is being slung.

do you have a recommended brand of high temp lube? Or a temp that it must be suitable to?
I am away from my desk, but the Drive Shaft Shop has been using it for some time now and I think they sell it.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #744
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,747
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
As cold as it gets there it's probably freezing in the air!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Not at all, and my car is lowered as well...
hmmmmmmmmmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I am away from my desk, but the Drive Shaft Shop has been using it for some time now and I think they sell it.
ok, I will contact them and see what it is.
Do you think this is something that they would provide free of charge since they packed it with a lower quality lube before they were sent to me?
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #745
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
hmmmmmmmmmph



ok, I will contact them and see what it is.
Do you think this is something that they would provide free of charge since they packed it with a lower quality lube before they were sent to me?
How long have you had your shafts?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #746
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,747
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
How long have you had your shafts?
bought the originals last april right before the fest.
they were sent in to fix this same issue once before last summer... about 1k miles since then.

Frank said he would call me tomorrow.
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #747
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,704
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Holy shit. I hadn't heard of this at all.

I have seen no evidence of this on mine at all. Of course you guys are running WAY more power than I am. That's the biggest difference considering that stock axles have shown this a well.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #748
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member
 
Kyle.Gilmour's Avatar
 
Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Posts: 2,747
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Holy shit. I hadn't heard of this at all.

I have seen no evidence of this on mine at all. Of course you guys are running WAY more power than I am. That's the biggest difference considering that stock axles have shown this a well.
I know it was happening on another road course car. 480hp.
Think it has a lot to do with the way it squats during a launch or in the curves.

So.... Yours has only really squatted once during a launch right. Lol.
__________________
Kyle.Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
427, camaro of the week, detroit, gilmour, texigan, the circle, the mother of all twins

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th Annual GM Performance Parts LSX Shootout!! nmcajeff Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 3 07-30-2010 01:05 PM
4th Annual GM Performance Parts LSX Shootout!! nmcajeff Off-topic Discussions 0 07-28-2010 09:28 AM
Detroit muscle question xxbrankxx General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 08-19-2009 01:08 AM
Sad day for detroit muscle.. Corvette next to be axed? camarofanatic General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 33 05-03-2009 07:43 PM
Top Gear - Dodge Challenger & American Muscle Cars Tran General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 8 04-24-2008 11:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.