Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Question about Check engine light

I've been running long tube headers with highflow cats and no tune on the car for about a month and a half. Other mods I have are K&N intake, resonator and muffler delete.

I went a month and a half without getting the check engine light. Three days ago the check engine light came on, I got in touch with on star and they said the problem was with the emissions. She said that this would cause the car to hesitate at take off and to feel sluggish. For a week leading up to the CEL coming on the car was doing just that, it was hesitating and sluggish. It just didn't feel as crisp and responsive as it usually does.

I called Jannetty and ordered their X3 tuner so I can get the car tuned and running the way it should with long tubes installed. Now the funny thing is that now (3days later) the check engine light turned off by itself before I even got to use the tuner I bought from Jannetty !

I'm totally puzzled by this. I know the car didn't tune itself lol. Anyone know why this is?
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
hmmm well you had a super lean condition, the computer is there to prevent meltdown maybe? you might be in reduced power mode now
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyj9h View Post
hmmm well you had a super lean condition, the computer is there to prevent meltdown maybe? you might be in reduced power mode now
it's definitely not on reduced power mode, the car is back to running strong again. it'll hesitate once in a while. I'm driving it easy for the time being. I should be receiving the tuner tomorrow.

anone else have any ideas ?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
its to lean what about your maf sensor i know i checked my intake and forgot to plug it back in and it bucked and hesitate and the light went off
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyj9h View Post
its to lean what about your maf sensor i know i checked my intake and forgot to plug it back in and it bucked and hesitate and the light went off
MAF sensor is good so it's not that.

wondering why the Light disappeared on it's own. so weird
Old 03-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
all i know is that the car will run much better with the tune. i would never run LTs with out one.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
Alain

yeah i know, i was eventually going to get it tuned. i was just trying to hold out on the tuning until i got the car camed. i can't wait to get this thing tuned and see how big of a difference it makes.

hopefully Ted will hook me up nicely !
Old 03-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
It's all normal... no worries. The light can be intermittent. All you need to do is turn the rear O2 codes off so the light doesn't set. Ted will do that in his tune.

If you don't want to tune, just live with the light until you get your cam and tune.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Alain

yeah? i asked ted if i would cause any damage to the car by driving it under these conditions and he said everything would be fine.
even after he told me it would be fine i was still a little worried.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
i would never take chances on my car. if its going to be a while to get a cam then i would just tune it now. and re-tune when the cam comes in. i have tuned my car 3 times its no big deal. and doesn't cost as much as the first time.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
yeah? i asked ted if i would cause any damage to the car by driving it under these conditions and he said everything would be fine.
There are quite a few who get headers w/o tune... you're just leaving a little HP on the table and you have to deal w/ the light. Enjoy your ride and follow Teds advice...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
There are quite a few who get headers w/o tune... you're just leaving a little HP on the table and you have to deal w/ the light. Enjoy your ride and follow Teds advice...
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I made it a point to speak to Ted himself. He's gonna be the one who will be doing my cam work when the time comes.

Can't wait to see how much of a difference the tune will make on the car.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
gmwheels

Drives: 2010 2SS RS black with IOI
i talked to the sales rep at SLP yesterday and he told me that when you install the longtube headers you will get a CEL come on and will have to get a tune to turn off the rear 02 sensor, but where i live there is no place to get a tune so i'm not sure what to do now.
gmwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
MudderFinger

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
You will be happy with the tune. Mine had the light coming on and it was setting the code for the the front O2 sensors not switching because of the LT headers. Jannety tune will disable the front O2 sensor and it will never be a problem again. My CEL would go off about every two to three days, the onstar folks said it would after about seven start ups with full cool down and warm ups. So it is normal for it to see the switching come back and then turn off the light. Also if you have a L99 the remote start will not work if the CEL is on.
MudderFinger is offline   Reply With Quote