Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Fairly Priced Stainless 17/8 LT Headers

Finally. I have the $$ to spend on LTs.

Here is what I am looking for:
  • Stainless 17/8 lt headers and cats for less than $900

I realize at this price level I will not get the quality and ultimate performance of Kooks and the like. But I am willing to sacrifice a little to save $400+. I understand that some people would never consider anything else but the best for their car. That is not me. I am in this just for fun and I like LTs.

If they were available I would buy OBX since we have some good reviews on those. But for some reason they are not available. I see three or four other no-name stainless LTs on Ebay, anyone have any experience with any of these?

One of the main things I am interested in is fitment. So if I have to take a hammer to my shiny new LTs or to my car, I am not interested.

I do not plan to tune my car. I know I will sacrifice a couple of HP and a little drivability. So I also will be installing rear O2 extender plugs. And I will probably be turning off the occasional CEL with my code editor.

One other thing is underside clearance. If you have as reasonably priced LT is your car lowered? I am interested in lowering springs or coil overs later on but am worried about hitting on speed humps.

I am not hung up on buying from Ebay or anything else. So vendors if you can put something together for me with a returned item or some LT I have not heard of yet, PM me. I would rather support you than some unknown Ebay vendor. Or if you have used items for sale likewise.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Since you don't plan on tuning and you don't mind not having as muh HP, why don't you consider putting on some HF cats. You can get those for $400-$500 and you'll still get a nice kick in the pants. Not as much as LT with a tune but still a nice upgrade. You an always sell them down the road if you decide to get LTs.

As far as answering your question....you can get plenty of LTs for under $900....but that's all you'll get. No connection pipes or ceramic coating. I know I saw some Stainless Works just the other day for like $830.......but that was just the header, no connection pipes.

You might look at Doug Thorley headers. They are a Tri-Y design but there are serveral that like them. If I remember correctly Ivan @ Southwest Speed had them for around $650 at one time. That included some off-road (no cats) connection pipe and I think they are ceramic coated as well. I'm not sure if they are stainless though.

Then there is alway Pacesetters. Supposed to be OK but personally I would go Doug Thorley over Pacesetter. I just have that stigma that Pacesetter is extrememly cheap quality. I have no experience with them to back that up though.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

I realize at this price level I will not get the quality and ultimate performance of Kooks and the like. But I am willing to sacrifice a little to save $400+. I understand that some people would never consider anything else but the best for their car. That is not me. I am in this just for fun and I like LTs.

If they were available I would buy OBX since we have some good reviews on those. But for some reason they are not available. I see three or four other no-name stainless LTs on Ebay, anyone have any experience with any of these?

One of the main things I am interested in is fitment. So if I have to take a hammer to my shiny new LTs or to my car, I am not interested.

I do not plan to tune my car. I know I will sacrifice a couple of HP and a little drivability. So I also will be installing rear O2 extender plugs. And I will probably be turning off the occasional CEL with my code editor.

One other thing is underside clearance. If you have as reasonably priced LT is your car lowered? I am interested in lowering springs or coil overs later on but am worried about hitting on speed humps.

I am not hung up on buying from Ebay or anything else. So vendors if you can put something together for me with a returned item or some LT I have not heard of yet, PM me. I would rather support you than some unknown Ebay vendor. Or if you have used items for sale likewise.
You will need front O2 extenders not rear.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
If you choose not to go with OBX or XS Power. You can get stainless works 1 7/8 with catless midpipes from Apex. Shoot Chase PM.
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
steeleshark2

Also check with Ivan from Southwest Speed on here. Both Chase from Apex and Ivan from Southwest Speed run great deals.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

Big Flow Exhaust would be a good Option for you shoot me an email for price.

I have them in stock.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Big Flow Exhaust would be a good Option for you shoot me an email for price.

I have them in stock.

Ted.

Forgot about them. BFE looks to have a very nice setup as well. Definatley look at their stuff.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Doug Thorleys?
Oxtar41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
steeleshark2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtar41 View Post
Doug Thorleys?
Those are great but he said he wanted 1-7/8. DTs are only 1-3/4.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
njdad61

Drives: 2020 Satin Steel 2SS Coupe
Doug Thorleys are going for $629 at Southwest Speed and come with the midpipe. Mine are being delivered on Monday! Apparently the Tri-Y design let's them flow as good as 1 7/8. The increase in midrange torque is awesome. If you need cats, they offer a pair of magnaflow hf cats for just $179 more. So just $808 shipped for LTs and hf cats! PM Ivan @ Southwest Speed for a quote.
  • Arrived 8/13/19
  • Home 8/16/19
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
steeleshark2

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdad61 View Post
Doug Thorleys are going for $629 at Southwest Speed and come with the midpipe. Mine are being delivered on Monday! Apparently the Tri-Y design let's them flow as good as 1 7/8. The increase in midrange torque is awesome. If you need cats, they offer a pair of magnaflow hf cats for just $179 more. So just $808 shipped for LTs and hf cats! PM Ivan @ Southwest Speed for a quote.
Not a bad deal for that setup. I have bought from Ivan before. Great customer service!!
Old 03-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Since you don't plan on tuning and you don't mind not having as muh HP, why don't you consider putting on some HF cats. You can get those for $400-$500 and you'll still get a nice kick in the pants. Not as much as LT with a tune but still a nice upgrade. You an always sell them down the road if you decide to get LTs.

As far as answering your question....you can get plenty of LTs for under $900....but that's all you'll get. No connection pipes or ceramic coating. I know I saw some Stainless Works just the other day for like $830.......but that was just the header, no connection pipes.

You might look at Doug Thorley headers. They are a Tri-Y design but there are serveral that like them. If I remember correctly Ivan @ Southwest Speed had them for around $650 at one time. That included some off-road (no cats) connection pipe and I think they are ceramic coated as well. I'm not sure if they are stainless though.

Then there is alway Pacesetters. Supposed to be OK but personally I would go Doug Thorley over Pacesetter. I just have that stigma that Pacesetter is extrememly cheap quality. I have no experience with them to back that up though.
I was hoping to get the LTs and cats for under $900. And you are right about the HF cats by themselves, They are a good move. But my longterm plans are for a tune and a cam so I would like to not have to back track.

The Pacesetters fit well but do not seem to hold up as long as the stainless options from what I have seen on the 4th Gen forums.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
I may be wrong but yes, I need the front O2 extenders like you said to extend the wiring. I also want the rear O2 spacers to reduce the chances of CELs.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
steeleshark2

Quote:
I may be wrong but yes, I need the front O2 extenders like you said to extend the wiring. I also want the rear O2 spacers to reduce the chances of CELs.
What you just said is correct.