Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
If you were a cop... would you street race?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/13/o...n-unmarked-po/

"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Ah the racing law:

If you are going 50 km/h (31 mph) over the limit then you are racing.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I wonder who the 'Benedict' is that cought her.

I got my wifes car up to 140 mph but only once, and my Trooper freind took a turn after me. The sretch of road is away from everything and wide open. Very little traffic. SL posted is 70. Just wanted to see what it would do one time. Had I got caught, I would have accepted my penalty but I got lucky.

But I would never do it if there were ANY other cars around, even coming from the opposite direction. We had a couple miles of sight and no traffic.

With my SS when I get it I'll do the same but on the track in Irvington.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Thwick

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I wonder who the 'Benedict' is that cought her.

I got my wifes car up to 140 mph but only once, and my Trooper freind took a turn after me. The sretch of road is away from everything and wide open. Very little traffic. SL posted is 70. Just wanted to see what it would do one time. Had I got caught, I would have accepted my penalty but I got lucky.

But I would never do it if there were ANY other cars around, even coming from the opposite direction. We had a couple miles of sight and no traffic.

With my SS when I get it I'll do the same but on the track in Irvington.
Yeah, thats a bit different on deserted roads. The highway they're talking about (the 403) and other 400 series highways are always full of traffic. I've come to a complete stop on the 401 at 2am because it was backed up.

regular traffic flow is usually around 120 km/h. but i've been on there when the "flow" of traffic is 140+. I've never been on a 400 series highway and not had someone blow by me at 150+. Not sure the details of this story, but i'm glad they arent getting any breaks. I know i wouldnt get one.
Thwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Now that's embarrasing!!! I only drive like an idiot when I'm by myself and no one is around.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I was racing a mustang on hwy 16 like 20 years ago in my 78 Camaro and got pulled over by Tx DPS in a Mustang black & white. He said "you know why I pulled U ova boya?"

I said nope.. "Cause U where winnin" he said with a country twang and a laugh. Then he proceded to give me a speeding ticket...
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Lol on the cop, and Ontario for such "stupid" laws.

Sask ftw!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwick View Post
Yeah, thats a bit different on deserted roads. The highway they're talking about (the 403) and other 400 series highways are always full of traffic. I've come to a complete stop on the 401 at 2am because it was backed up.

regular traffic flow is usually around 120 km/h. but i've been on there when the "flow" of traffic is 140+. I've never been on a 400 series highway and not had someone blow by me at 150+. Not sure the details of this story, but i'm glad they arent getting any breaks. I know i wouldnt get one.
That stretch where she was caught is relatively empty. Not like between Hamilton and Mississauga. I'd love to meet the genius who thought it was a good idea to merge two 3 lane highways between 2 of the biggest cities in Ontario into . . . 3 lanes.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
That law makes no sense. 31mph over and you're racing? That's dumb. That's like the "if you take of and your tires chirp you were testing the endurance" of your car law. Who the F**K are they to tell me what my intent was?!? Are they in my brain do they know why i do anything i do?

I've never been pulled over for anything like that, but that effing stupid.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Well I know law enforcement and usually they take care of each other. I'm fortunate to know most of the county and state guys here. I've never been pulled over by one I didn't know. But I can honestly say I don't give them any reason to regret leaving me alone.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
That law makes no sense. 31mph over and you're racing? That's dumb. That's like the "if you take of and your tires chirp you were testing the endurance" of your car law. Who the F**K are they to tell me what my intent was?!? Are they in my brain do they know why i do anything i do?

I've never been pulled over for anything like that, but that effing stupid.
Well, its 50% over the highest limit we have, 31 mph comes from the conversion of 50 km/h over the limit. There is no reason at all to ever be going that fast. Here is a more complete version of the law, including penalties:

• Increases fines for street racers and aggressive drivers, including those who drive 50 km/h or more over the posted speed limit, to $10,000 and allows police to immediately suspend the driver’s licence and impound the vehicle for seven days;
  • The maximum fine increases from $1,000 to $10,000 upon conviction for street racing, making it the highest penalty in Canada. The minimum fine increases from $200 to $2,000.
  • Police can issue an immediate seven-day driver’s licence suspension and seven-day vehicle impoundment for street racing, participating in a driving contest or stunt driving.
  • Courts can impose a driver licence suspension of up to 10 years for a second conviction, if the second conviction occurs within 10 years of the first. For a first conviction, the maximum licence suspension period remains at 2 years.
  • The definition of a “driving stunt” includes driving a motor vehicle at 50 km/h or more above the posted speed limit.
  • The Act also bans driving a motor vehicle on a highway with a connected nitrous oxide system. Some street racers use nitrous oxide to enhance the acceleration capabilities of their vehicles.
And the legal definition of racing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Highway Traffic Act
Definition, “race” and “contest"

2. (1) For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “race” and “contest” include any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:
1. Driving two or more motor vehicles at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed and in a manner that indicates the drivers of the motor vehicles are engaged in a competition.
2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to chase another motor vehicle.
3. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,
i. driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed,
ii. outdistancing or attempting to outdistance one or more other motor vehicles while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed, or
iii. repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (1).
If its the name, would you rather them call it, super speeding? Stupid speeding?

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Hehe, if we ever get that in Saskatchewan or Manitoba, i'm screwed!
Old 02-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Hehe, if we ever get that in Saskatchewan or Manitoba, i'm screwed!
Yes, but only if you can't spot one of the 5 places the cops have to hide behind. Saskatchewan is one of the few places where then can spot you on radar and they still have time to finish their coffee.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #14
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
You mean there are 5 remaining grain elevators?
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote