Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
frank1557
Account Suspended
 
frank1557's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 382
Cats rattling??

I have subwoofers in my trunk ANSI noticed this morning that something was rattling around my cats. Anybody else have this issue?
frank1557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
jtzako

 
Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 1,156
The heatshields near the cats can rattle for sure. The cats themselves COULD rattle but likely only if they are damaged internally.
__________________
2010 Camaro SS Imperial Blue | CAI Inc, CAI | Solo Hi Flow Cats | X-Pipe | Backup Camera | PDIM
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
frank1557
Account Suspended
 
frank1557's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
The heatshields near the cats can rattle for sure. The cats themselves COULD rattle but likely only if they are damaged internally.
It almost sounds like a bolt rattling. Got under the car and was looking but didn't see anything. My cats are fine from outside. How would they get damaged internally
frank1557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
jtzako

 
Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: DFW, Tx
Posts: 1,156
The stuff inside the cats can break and rattle. Not that it *should* happen but it can. Maybe try recording the sound so we can hear it?
__________________
2010 Camaro SS Imperial Blue | CAI Inc, CAI | Solo Hi Flow Cats | X-Pipe | Backup Camera | PDIM
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
frank1557
Account Suspended
 
frank1557's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
The stuff inside the cats can break and rattle. Not that it *should* happen but it can. Maybe try recording the sound so we can hear it?
My cats aren't damaged from outside. Think thu could still be internally damaged?
And I came I he conclusion that it could be my plates underneath. I didn't realize how thin they are.
frank1557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
first one

 
first one's Avatar
 
Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 935
There is a TSB for a muffler rattle that I thought was coming from my solo cats and it was fixed under warrenty. Maybe not you're rattle, but worth mentioning.
__________________
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
JDP Tech

 
JDP Tech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1557 View Post
My cats aren't damaged from outside. Think thu could still be internally damaged?
And I came I he conclusion that it could be my plates underneath. I didn't realize how thin they are.
Did you find and fix it?
Do you have any exhaust or engine mods?
If its still there, and you have it in the air, or can get it under it, when the exhaust is cooled down, hit the exhaust with your hand or rubber mallet to get the noise to come, that will help you locate the exact noise, and probably why its happening.

Even though the cats aren't damaged externally, the stuff inside can still break apart, and rattle. You'll be able to tell by hitting the exhaust if its them or not. It rarely happens, and when it does is usually caused by a bad tune.
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
frank1557
Account Suspended
 
frank1557's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@JDP View Post
Did you find and fix it?
Do you have any exhaust or engine mods?
If its still there, and you have it in the air, or can get it under it, when the exhaust is cooled down, hit the exhaust with your hand or rubber mallet to get the noise to come, that will help you locate the exact noise, and probably why its happening.

Even though the cats aren't damaged externally, the stuff inside can still break apart, and rattle. You'll be able to tell by hitting the exhaust if its them or not. It rarely happens, and when it does is usually caused by a bad tune.
No I'm completely stock. I finally goin the rattle. It was the heat shield where it curves up towards the middle. I lifted it up and started tapping everything and finally found what it was. Nothing major. Thank god!
frank1557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
frank1557
Account Suspended
 
frank1557's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
There is a TSB for a muffler rattle that I thought was coming from my solo cats and it was fixed under warrenty. Maybe not you're rattle, but worth mentioning.
Yeah no thanks man. Every bit of knowledge helps.
frank1557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
dk818
 
Drives: not yet
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1557 View Post
Yeah no thanks man. Every bit of knowledge helps.

did you remove the heat shield? i have the same problem, dont know what to do
dk818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
frank1557
Account Suspended
 
frank1557's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange RS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk818 View Post
did you remove the heat shield? i have the same problem, dont know what to do
No I left it alone.
I just wanted to know what it was.
frank1557 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fuse pull/ L99/ cats mgoodbar Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 4 10-30-2011 08:47 PM
Help with Hi-flow cats vs No Cats Arsenal11 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 17 10-26-2011 12:19 AM
Those with Headers. Cats or No Cats? Rogan Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 46 10-20-2011 08:58 AM
High Flow Cats with Shorty Headers? Aaron1121 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 14 07-06-2010 01:56 AM
Ohhhhh C-A-T-S Cats Cats Cats!!!!! acscamarochick06 Off-topic Discussions 1 01-14-2008 02:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.