Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #51
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com
 
LED Crazy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM L99
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanx View Post
It doesn't work in the LS :(
-1 :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
so i finally got my ipad2 and grabbed a smart cover. First thing i did was try this out and i have to say to anyone looking to do this, do not do it! Its simply not strong enough and im willing to bet money anyone doing this will quickly crack the screen on there new ipad when it falls off and smashes into the shifter.

Its strong enough to hold it in place sitting still, but it takes almost no force to remove it. One hard bump and your new toy better grow some wings quick.
Just a fair warning to anyone looking to get a smart cover specifically for this soul purpose, dont waste the money.
How far do you have the smart cover positioned on the center speaker? The more the smartcover covers the center speaker, the better it holds on because it is using more magnets in the case. I have had no problems at all with mine. It tends to slightly shift on strong turns, but that's it. It has not fallen off once. The magnet that holds the iPad to the smartcover is strong. We have done tests at Apple to confirm this. Be sure to check the positioning of the smart cover on the center speaker and how well attached the smartcover is to the iPad. Hope all works out for you!
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #52
Transfusion
 
Transfusion's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS Summit White
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: http://www.vietnamwomensmemorial.org
Posts: 741
Are you able to connect to the internet and hook up to traffic, weather etc type sites?
I don't know where I've been but I have not seen one of these before.
Transfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #53
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour
 
Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,211
I had it positioned same as in the pics posted. The magnets are strong, I just don't think it's strong enough to handle extreme cases in the car. Normal driving may be fine, but I don't think it would hold up in an accident or maybe a really hard stop.

I'll play with it a little more and see if my confidence increases.
__________________

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #54
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour
 
Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfusion View Post
Are you able to connect to the internet and hook up to traffic, weather etc type sites?
I don't know where I've been but I have not seen one of these before.
You've never seen an iPad before or the smart cover?

The ipad2 was announced this month and went on sale 9 days later.

And sold out across the country in about an hour.
__________________

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #55
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com
 
LED Crazy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM L99
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfusion View Post
Are you able to connect to the internet and hook up to traffic, weather etc type sites?
I don't know where I've been but I have not seen one of these before.
Yeah I use my iPhone as a mobile hotspot to get internet directly in my car. I do not want to pay extra for another 3G connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
I had it positioned same as in the pics posted. The magnets are strong, I just don't think it's strong enough to handle extreme cases in the car. Normal driving may be fine, but I don't think it would hold up in an accident or maybe a really hard stop.

I'll play with it a little more and see if my confidence increases.
In a accident I do not know what would happen honestly. I do not want to find out. However I am willing to see how it holds with a hard stop. I will test tomorrow.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #56
Transfusion
 
Transfusion's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS Summit White
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: http://www.vietnamwomensmemorial.org
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
You've never seen an iPad before or the smart cover?

The ipad2 was announced this month and went on sale 9 days later.

And sold out across the country in about an hour.
Honestly have never seen one.
The next guy posting says he uses his Iphone for some kind of wonder point internet or something like that. Does he mean he's connecting the phone to the pad and the phone is being used for the internet connection? ???

Thanks
Transfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #57
TK
 
Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfusion View Post
Honestly have never seen one.
The next guy posting says he uses his Iphone for some kind of wonder point internet or something like that. Does he mean he's connecting the phone to the pad and the phone is being used for the internet connection? ???

Thanks
Yes.
TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #58
LadiesMan217

 
LadiesMan217's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfusion View Post
Honestly have never seen one.
The next guy posting says he uses his Iphone for some kind of wonder point internet or something like that. Does he mean he's connecting the phone to the pad and the phone is being used for the internet connection? ???

Thanks
The iPad 2 has two different ways to purchase...
They have one that just accesses the internet using a WiFi hotspot...or you can get one that does the WiFi AND has a 3G connection (for a fee).

The iPhone 4 will act as a mobile hotspot...and the iPad will use that hotspot for it's WiFi access.
__________________
Proud Member of NEC5!
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #59
CamaroKid300
ace5.org
 
CamaroKid300's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: McDonough, Georgia--Auburn, AL
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
The iPad 2 has two different ways to purchase...
They have one that just accesses the internet using a WiFi hotspot...or you can get one that does the WiFi AND has a 3G connection (for a fee).

The iPhone 4 will act as a mobile hotspot...and the iPad will use that hotspot for it's WiFi access.
The iPhone 4 will act as a mobile hotspot for AT&T customers only at this point. I have the Verizon iPhone 4 and it will not let verizon customers download the new version 4.3 update for hotspot.

Just a little extra clarification.
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #60
Transfusion
 
Transfusion's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS Summit White
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: http://www.vietnamwomensmemorial.org
Posts: 741
Thanks to all for the very good info. I really am digging this and I am going to be doing some research and update probably my old cell and get one of these things, er pads. thanks
Transfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #61
LadiesMan217

 
LadiesMan217's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
The iPhone 4 will act as a mobile hotspot for AT&T customers only at this point. I have the Verizon iPhone 4 and it will not let verizon customers download the new version 4.3 update for hotspot.

Just a little extra clarification.
Correct. It is coming though. I think this is the way Apple will stay in good graces with AT&T now that they've also jumped to Verizon.
__________________
Proud Member of NEC5!
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #62
CamaroKid300
ace5.org
 
CamaroKid300's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: McDonough, Georgia--Auburn, AL
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
Correct. It is coming though. I think this is the way Apple will stay in good graces with AT&T now that they've also jumped to Verizon.
I sure hope so. That will be super convenient to have. It won't come to Verizon until they go to Tiered data plans I believe, or they will still have the unlimited for the phone and charge you a fee to use the feature.

I previously tried to tether my Droid to my computer and when i try to connect verizon makes you pay like an extra $15-$30 to hook it up..

Okay, I'm done getting off topic with the thread.
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #63
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com
 
LED Crazy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM L99
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
I sure hope so. That will be super convenient to have. It won't come to Verizon until they go to Tiered data plans I believe, or they will still have the unlimited for the phone and charge you a fee to use the feature.

I previously tried to tether my Droid to my computer and when i try to connect verizon makes you pay like an extra $15-$30 to hook it up..

Okay, I'm done getting off topic with the thread.
Eventually all it will be is Verizon and AT&T. AT&T bought T-Mobile and Verizon will probably eventually purchase Sprint. I do not like the fact of there possibly being only two super giants, but I will hope for the best.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #64
hvychvy970
 
hvychvy970's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 2SSRS owner
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MO
Posts: 246
__________________
Colossians 3:17
RK Sport Rear Spoiler/Black Chrome Powder Coated SS Wheels/Air Lift Suspension/MagnaFlow Competition Axleback 5" Tips/Hurst Short Throw Shifter/Trinity 1000 Programmer/Black GM Heritage Grille/Street Scene Lower Grille w/Ducts/20% Tint/Smoked Exterior Lens Kit/Driver's Side Grand Sport Hash Marks Flat Black


hvychvy970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #65
CamaroKid300
ace5.org
 
CamaroKid300's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: McDonough, Georgia--Auburn, AL
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Unique4U View Post
Eventually all it will be is Verizon and AT&T. AT&T bought T-Mobile and Verizon will probably eventually purchase Sprint. I do not like the fact of there possibly being only two super giants, but I will hope for the best.
I previously had a droid so I was subscribed to this page on facebook called "Droid Life" and they posted this little snippet....

"After news broke on Sunday that AT&T was looking to buy up T-Mobile, naturally, the quick reaction was for industry folks to ask if Verizon would now try to snatch up Sprint. That definitely won’t be the case, at least in the near future if Verizon CEO Dan Mead has anything to say about it. While attending CTIA this week in Orland, Mead was asked if Big Red is planning to make a move on Sprint and said, “We’re not interested in Sprint. We don’t need them.” Well, that sure squashes that idea. Mead also mentioned that he expects the AT&T/T-Mobile deal to go through."
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #66
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com
 
LED Crazy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM L99
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
I previously had a droid so I was subscribed to this page on facebook called "Droid Life" and they posted this little snippet....

"After news broke on Sunday that AT&T was looking to buy up T-Mobile, naturally, the quick reaction was for industry folks to ask if Verizon would now try to snatch up Sprint. That definitely won’t be the case, at least in the near future if Verizon CEO Dan Mead has anything to say about it. While attending CTIA this week in Orland, Mead was asked if Big Red is planning to make a move on Sprint and said, “We’re not interested in Sprint. We don’t need them.” Well, that sure squashes that idea. Mead also mentioned that he expects the AT&T/T-Mobile deal to go through."
Interesting.. I would like to know why they wouldn't buy them. Especially with how big AT&T will be after they finnish acquiring T-Mobile.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #67
CamaroKid300
ace5.org
 
CamaroKid300's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: McDonough, Georgia--Auburn, AL
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Unique4U View Post
Interesting.. I would like to know why they wouldn't buy them. Especially with how big AT&T will be after they finnish acquiring T-Mobile.
Not sure either. I just looked to see if it may be a GSM/CDMA issue. But Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA so there wouldn't be an issue with converting Sprints towers. At least not from GSM to CDMA.

Sorry for us getting a little off topic, guys.
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #68
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com
 
LED Crazy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM L99
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 1,710
Got some good news for the original iPad owners out there. If you want to do this mod and cannot find a case suitable for your origninal iPad, look no further. The smartcover will work with this mod:
http://www.therussiansusedapencil.co...ver-for-ipad-1

Cheers!
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 AM   #69
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM
 
Xmicro_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Unique4U View Post
Got some good news for the original iPad owners out there. If you want to do this mod and cannot find a case suitable for your origninal iPad, look no further. The smartcover will work with this mod:
http://www.therussiansusedapencil.co...ver-for-ipad-1

Cheers!
Not to be negative or a debbie downer, but FYI
That would not work the way the OP is using it to hang from the top of the dash. Also, magnets around a computer can be bad.
__________________
ITS HERE! : 2010 Camaro 2SS / 6 Speed Manual (No other way) / Silver Ice Metallic / Inferno Orange Interior Accent / RS Package / Polished Wheels / SOLO MACH X CAT BACK
Xmicro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #70
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM
 
Xmicro_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,894
All you need now is to plug it into your Engine OBDII Port and get some cool software!!


Here is the KIWI WIreless system
http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.html

Software:
http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/software.html

Great for us iphone/ipad users!!
__________________
ITS HERE! : 2010 Camaro 2SS / 6 Speed Manual (No other way) / Silver Ice Metallic / Inferno Orange Interior Accent / RS Package / Polished Wheels / SOLO MACH X CAT BACK
Xmicro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #71
overhaulengines

 
overhaulengines's Avatar
 
Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
Not to be negative or a debbie downer, but FYI
That would not work the way the OP is using it to hang from the top of the dash. Also, magnets around a computer can be bad.
if the magnet are bad for the computer (ipad), apple has a big problem on their hands. this is their smartcover that they are selling with their ipad. bummer that they didnt figure out that magnet are bad for their computer

lupe
__________________
Custom painted Bowties, Tail light bezels, engine covers, strut braces, emblems and custom painted interior parts.
Installation of vertical doors, lighting, reverse hood kits, hex vents, ACS product etc.

Visit www.camarocustoms.com for all our products and services...like us on Facebook.....check out photo albums here for lots of pics and ideas
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #72
overhaulengines

 
overhaulengines's Avatar
 
Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,691
ipad 2 additional mounting support

hello Peps, first thank to 2Unigue4U for the cool idea. i really think we can build upon this. I know people are concerned for the safety of their ipads and rightfully so. kinda scary knowing its just hanging.
ok, so i went down to home depot, picked up some, 5 lb suction cups, velcro and super glue. bout $11.00, i removed the hooks from the suction cups and cut off the end where the hook attaches to make the back of cup smooth, i glued the rough part of the velcro to it and the just stuck the soft part onto the back of the ipad. (small squares) ohh dont superglue these,
check out the pic's n video. still not 100% satisfied, im thinking of some way to make a cradle, i will keep yall posted.

lupe

Attached Images
     
__________________
Custom painted Bowties, Tail light bezels, engine covers, strut braces, emblems and custom painted interior parts.
Installation of vertical doors, lighting, reverse hood kits, hex vents, ACS product etc.

Visit www.camarocustoms.com for all our products and services...like us on Facebook.....check out photo albums here for lots of pics and ideas
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #73
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com
 
LED Crazy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM L99
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 1,710
+1 great idea to hold the bottom steady. The only problem I am having is keeping it from swaying slightly to the right and left during turns. This will cure that problem. Good job!
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #74
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com
 
LED Crazy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM L99
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 1,710
Magnets shouldn't be a problem on the iPad. It does not have a spinning disk hard drive. Plus these individuals who made the case and the mod for the original iPad had those possible scenarios in their minds when they came up with this. Good thought though
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #75
CamaroKid300
ace5.org
 
CamaroKid300's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: McDonough, Georgia--Auburn, AL
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Unique4U View Post
Magnets shouldn't be a problem on the iPad. It does not have a spinning disk hard drive. Plus these individuals who made the case and the mod for the original iPad had those possible scenarios in their minds when they came up with this. Good thought though
Yup...all flash memory.

I'd love to do this mod, but I don't have bluetooth in my car. So unless i could buy something to put it in, then it would be pointless. I have looked into using Metra's dash kit and putting in a 7 inch touch screen. I haven't done it cause from what i've read some people are having issues with their AC and sound. I also rather but a grand towards 20 inch rims and tires.
__________________
NightOwl RGB Halos, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
Exhaust Video (Manifolds) Exhaust Video (Headers) White Lightning
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SW Ohio mod day #2 heinzd01 USA - Great Lakes 474 05-28-2010 11:41 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.