Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 04-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
Matty1LE

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro 2$$
Did YOU use Chevyrolet 2/24 maintenance??

Just trying to gather people's thoughts on Chevy's 2/24 maintenance program. I have a 2014 2SS w/1LE package so Im already going to get shorted on tire rotations free of charge. Basically oil and filter for 24k miles. Only at 1333 miles but want to start figuring out whats better, DIY or Dealer "free" maintenance. Granted I work at a shop stocked full of lubricants and OEM AC delco filters it is about MONEY.

Contacted my dealer about the programs "rules" and was told must be 15% oil life or 5000 miles whichever comes first. Im okay with that portion. Second thing is this engine rolls off the assembly line with Dexos1 synthetic blend oil, which would be free no charge of course with 2/24. Service advisor says GM will not pay for Mobil1 brand lubricants and I can understand that.

Golden question...... Stay 100% GM dexos1 synthetic blend for the life of the vehicle or just do it myself with Mobil1 5w30 as I did my ls2 from day one. Mobil1 my cost is roughly $5 quart and Dexos1 very close. Anyone out there sticking with the Dexos1 OEM oil?? Im not big on flip flopping lubricants around that's how you flatten camshafts

Looking for some general inputs etc, moreso the people with higher mileage LS3 engines curious on oil consumption, my LS2 liked to eat 1-2 quarts every 5k depending on my driving.

Thanks!
Matty1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
zach_carver

I do all my own services save labor cost and I know its done right. Plus I want mobil 1 in my car. I also got this offer and said thanks but no thanks. Im not gonna cheap out on motor oil. Just my .02
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
klaatu barada nikto

Drives: 2009 Corvette
Yes i am going to use the 2/24 oil/filter changes

My dealer told me the Exact Opposite of what you were told. I asked him about it, he told me 2 oil/filter changes per year for a total of 4 over two years.
I told him i would like to have it changed at 2,000 miles.
He told me to bring it in.

Bob
klaatu barada nikto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
DIY, service plan is a waste of money.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Matty1LE

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro 2$$
According to them its 100% free granted I let them use their AC Delco Dexos synthetic blend. The guy on the phone didn't seem really competent in the program when I was asking details about it.
Matty1LE is offline   Reply With Quote