Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Tower Decals
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
nightrider28
 
Drives: 2011 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Batavia, IL
Posts: 166
Brake squeaking...

My car has 26,300 miles I have only replaced front brake pads. After winter my rear brakes are squeakin every time I apply the brakes, and it isa lot more than normal. Firestone said I should leave it alone for 10K miles and replace both brake pads and rotor (bc my pads have a lot of life) or if it bothers me too much to cut the rotor. Do you guys think that will help solve the squeaking issue??
nightrider28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider28 View Post
My car has 26,300 miles I have only replaced front brake pads. After winter my rear brakes are squeakin every time I apply the brakes, and it isa lot more than normal. Firestone said I should leave it alone for 10K miles and replace both brake pads and rotor (bc my pads have a lot of life) or if it bothers me too much to cut the rotor. Do you guys think that will help solve the squeaking issue??
I realize how displeasing it can be when faced with a brake squeaking concern like this nightrider28, and though you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your preferred dealer if you feel an official diagnosis is necessary. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,281
The Camaro comes with performance metallic pads. Some squalling is normal, if you replace the pads it will happen again eventually.

The solution to your issue is that you need to bed the pads. There are different ways to bed the brakes but this is the one I use. You will need to do this every few months.

Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
nightrider28
 
Drives: 2011 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Batavia, IL
Posts: 166
The pads are broken in, and it still squeaks. They told me to resurface the rotors??
nightrider28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
SSMickey
SECC
 
SSMickey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbia S.C.
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The Camaro comes with performance metallic pads. Some squalling is normal, if you replace the pads it will happen again eventually.

The solution to your issue is that you need to bed the pads. There are different ways to bed the brakes but this is the one I use. You will need to do this every few months.

^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider28 View Post
The pads are broken in, and it still squeaks. They told me to resurface the rotors??
Don't cut the rotors unless there at obvious defects. Pull the pads and lightly sand the friction surface. Then do a proper bedding. You'd still going to get the occasional nose though. Just the nature of our brakes.
__________________
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #6
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider28 View Post
The pads are broken in, and it still squeaks.
How long ago? Remember it needs to be done every couple months. You can't just do the process the first time you put them on and think that's it.

Don't resurface the rotors unless there are obvious grooves or defects. If you pull the rotors off and don't see or feel anything, don't do it. Shops telling you this is just a way to get money. Also if you do need to resurface the rotors, it is advised to get new pads and install them as well. Whatever was on the pad to cause the defect that required the rotor to be resurfaced will do it to the rotor again.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.