Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Stock Exhaust option for 2011 2SS?

I'm new to this forum, i'm coming from Coloradofans.com. I'm currently deployed to Iraq and will be having my ole' man sell my truck while i'm here, and when I get back I will be getting a 2011 Camaro 2SS. I'm talking to the dealers to see which one gives the best deal, and i'm wondering, is the "Performance Exhaust System" option worth it? thanks guys, lookin forward to talkin to y'all!
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
hvychvy970

Drives: Black 2011 2SSRS owner
I would not and did not simply because you pay way too much for a "dealer" performance option. Aftermarket all the way baby!!
Colossians 3:17
RK Sport Rear Spoiler/Black Chrome Powder Coated SS Wheels/Air Lift Suspension/MagnaFlow Competition Axleback 5" Tips/Hurst Short Throw Shifter/Trinity 1000 Programmer/Black GM Heritage Grille/Street Scene Lower Grille w/Ducts/20% Tint/Smoked Exterior Lens Kit/Driver's Side Grand Sport Hash Marks Flat Black

hvychvy970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I went with a Borla touring kit, I didn't want loud, but if I did I would've gone either S-type or their ATAK system. Borla makes the GMPP exhaust kits, and I saved $385 which I got from lmperformance.com. Will be installing this weekend. However; there's lot's of other aftermarket options to choose from.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
Cornflakes'Camaro

nice. so i'll hold off on the "dealer" performance exhaust and get an aftermarket for roughly the same price, maybe alittle more. i've heard that it's useless to replace the exhausts on these cars though, since they come "fine tuned" from the dealership. can someone shed some light on this subject as well?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
For me the best sound I have heard is stock cat-back with LTs and high-flow cats. Sounds good, not too loud, but strong at high rpms. No drone! About the same price as a cat-back and 30 more HP.

Cat-backs on this car are for sound (and weight savings) only.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
JohnnyStorm
White Out

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible WHT/BT L99
Do a search on NOWEEDS, this looks like a great product but is pricey. I will be in Baghdad next Tuesday, get home safe.
JohnnyStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
njdad61

Drives: 2020 Satin Steel 2SS Coupe
Deployment money!!!

Yeah, steer clear of the GMPP exhaust. Check out this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21289

It has a list of sound clips of pretty much every aftermarket exhaust out there. The price range can be large between brands, but I urge you to find the one YOU think sounds the best and buy it. Sound is all that matters with a catback since you will see no on-paper performance increase. If you just pick the cheapest exhaust or settle for something other than what you really want, you'll regret it every time you drive your car. Be warned though: You WILL get the mod bug, especially if you frequent this forum! I started with a Borla ATAK catback (promised my fiancee it would be the only thing I add to it) and I now have an MGW shifter, RotoFab CAI, ADM race scoop, RotoFab W/W reservoir relocation kit, AAC interior/footwell/trunk LEDs, and waiting for free time to install the Doug Thorley LT headers that are sitting in my garage. Next winter I'm putting in 4.11 rear-end gears and a cam. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!
  • Arrived 8/13/19
  • Home 8/16/19
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
nice. so i'll hold off on the "dealer" performance exhaust and get an aftermarket for roughly the same price, maybe alittle more. i've heard that it's useless to replace the exhausts on these cars though, since they come "fine tuned" from the dealership. can someone shed some light on this subject as well?
It's true....they do come optimally tuned from the factory, so if you're not planning on other mods, then you might just want to consider axle-back to get the sound.

But as I'm sure you've seen....there are endless mods you can do to this car. The aftermarket boys jumped in with both feet!! So if you have other modding plans for the future, you might want to go ahead and invest in one of the good aftermarket cat-backs.
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdad61 View Post
Deployment money!!!

Yeah, steer clear of the GMPP exhaust. Check out this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21289

It has a list of sound clips of pretty much every aftermarket exhaust out there. The price range can be large between brands, but I urge you to find the one YOU think sounds the best and buy it. Sound is all that matters with a catback since you will see no on-paper performance increase. If you just pick the cheapest exhaust or settle for something other than what you really want, you'll regret it every time you drive your car. Be warned though: You WILL get the mod bug, especially if you frequent this forum! I started with a Borla ATAK catback (promised my fiancee it would be the only thing I add to it) and I now have an MGW shifter, RotoFab CAI, ADM race scoop, RotoFab W/W reservoir relocation kit, AAC interior/footwell/trunk LEDs, and waiting for free time to install the Doug Thorley LT headers that are sitting in my garage. Next winter I'm putting in 4.11 rear-end gears and a cam. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!
Yes, the mod bug is very addictive/contagious. Went a whole year without but now I'm going to be doing 2 within 1 week.

I'm doing the Borla axleback tonight and the RotoFab next week.
How do you like the Rotofab CAI???
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
TAPSHIFT

Drives: '11 IBM 2SS/RS '16 1GB Z51 ragtop
Just got home from Solo Performance in Mississauga where I had the Solo High Flo Cats installed to go with the Mach-XL catback. What a difference! The catback already sounded good with no drone and I'm sure there was a bit of a HP boost but not really noticeable "in the seat of the pants". With the cats you can definately feel the increase in torque, plus about 10-15% more volume at WOT. Plus, no codes and no need for a tune. I know there are a few other threads on the go with potential buyers comparing Solo Cats to other, less expensive products, and although I cannot speak to the quality and customer service of those products and vendors, I can tell you that what you get from Solo is a great product and they treat you like gold! And, as always, you get what you pay for. Cheaper is generally not better!
Hopefully you will be able to hear the final result in the next few days once the video is completed and posted. My wife doesn't know it yet, but she just bought me a present for an upcoming birthday! Thanks again to Steve; Jeff, Jack, Ray and the whole crew at Solo! ( and my wife )
TAPSHIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
njdad61

Drives: 2020 Satin Steel 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Yes, the mod bug is very addictive/contagious. Went a whole year without but now I'm going to be doing 2 within 1 week.

I'm doing the Borla axleback tonight and the RotoFab next week.
How do you like the Rotofab CAI???
I'm crazy about it! The fit/look is excellent. It was very easy to take out the stock air box and install this one. The car definitely feels a lot more responsive. I will say that the stock W/W reservoir takes up a lot of room in the box. After ripping that out and installing the ADM scoop, I noticed a pretty drastic improvement over stock.
  • Arrived 8/13/19
  • Home 8/16/19
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
Cornflakes'Camaro

bros, since i was on Coloradofans.com w/ my old colorado.....the mod bug as been in me....hahaha. I love doin mods and i'm puttin aside about 5,000 to plug into this thing.....i can't wait. but thank you for the input on the exhaust, and i will most likely be getting a cat-back for the sound, plus i plan on installing a small shot of nitrous, so the bigger diameter pipes should help out. thanks, y'all are the bomb