Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #101
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Or smaller and towards the center?

Better?

I think the "Z" and the "L" letters should have a mirror finish on the steering wheel and maybe the "1" should be reflective as well.
I think that Camaro in the center of the wheel will be just fine. There are a lot of ZL1 badges on the car already, somewhere in the area of $7,500.00 per badge!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #102
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
Im not sure if the hood will be noticeably lighter than a flat all aluminum hood since bracing has to be added. It's probably a wash or insignificant either way. The wheels should be lighter but the larger tires will weigh more
The Eagle F1 G2 tires actually weigh a couple pounds less than the SS' Perelli's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
I don't care if the hood weighs 2lbs, it's still, IMO, a detraction from the car. Functional or not, it looks out of place with the rest of the vehicle.
I'd disagree as well...I think it fits much better than any other hood I've yet seen on the SS...And I expect it to look even better in person. The fact that it's functional makes it just that much more appealing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I think that Camaro in the center of the wheel will be just fine. There are a lot of ZL1 badges on the car already, somewhere in the area of $7,500.00 per badge!
I don't like the way "ZL1" looks there....I count 13 ZL1 badges/decals on the car already...I'd rather see 'Camaro' return to the center of the steering wheel.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #103
KIZE
www.gkiser.com

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, Auto, Summit White. R

Roto-fab CAI, GMPP exhaust with tips, Pistol Grip shifter with paddle switches, 'Chevrolet' aluminum kick plates, Aluminum Bow Ties, ClearBra front bumper/facia + side views + gills + behind door handles. SS floormats. www.gkiser.com
KIZE www.gkiser.com
KIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #104
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I don't like the way "ZL1" looks there....I count 13 ZL1 badges/decals on the car already...I'd rather see 'Camaro' return to the center of the steering wheel.

only 13?? lol try 17 lol. 1 engraving on each rim(4 total), 1 sticker on each 6pot brembo(2 total), emblem on the grill(1), emblem on the rear deck lid(1), 2 on the hood(2), 1 emblem on the steering wheel(1), 1 on each side of the cars step plate(2), engraving on the shift knob(1), on the plastic trim passanger side(1), 1 on each head rest (2).
yea at this point im happy with the bowtie.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #105
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoked View Post
only 13?? lol try 17 lol. 1 engraving on each rim(4 total), 1 sticker on each 6pot brembo(2 total), emblem on the grill(1), emblem on the rear deck lid(1), 2 on the hood(2), 1 emblem on the steering wheel(1), 1 on each side of the cars step plate(2), engraving on the shift knob(1), on the plastic trim passanger side(1), 1 on each head rest (2).
The only one on the interior I counted was the corner of the dash. Whoops...

But, you help support a good point, imo...there doesn't need to be another ZL1 badge on this thing. "Camaro" would be perfect, imo...and the bowtie is okay, I guess...
Old 03-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #106
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I will photoshop the "camaro" into the dash when I get home later, maybe try the 3rd Gen "red, white and blue" camaro emblem.
Attached Images

thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #107
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
The only one on the interior I counted was the corner of the dash. Whoops...

But, you help support a good point, imo...there doesn't need to be another ZL1 badge on this thing. "Camaro" would be perfect, imo...and the bowtie is okay, I guess...
I'll work on it bud when I get home.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #108
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
Have to agree with everyone else (well almost everyone else). The shape is nice, the material is nice, but the center is awful. Maybe replacing the Chevy logo with the word Camaro, or even the old red, white, and blue badge from back in the 80's would help.

The wheel just doesn't fit the 'retro' feel of the gauges.

Maybe if they took the current one and gave it the feel and flat bottom. Kind of like the Audi RS4 wheel.

Yup, it just doesn't fit the rest of the car .... just looks like it's coming directly from another car (yes, a Spark ...)...

Besides, I find it sad when brands with history like Chevy, having all the weight of american cars history, just ... copy european cars ...

Benchmarking BMW or Audi shouldn"t mean copying 'em ...
Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #109
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
Do you mean the ZR1? If so, to answer your question, no the magnetic suspension doesn't make the Z06 cost $100,000. The price for the 3 Z06 trim packages range from $75,000 to $82,000. The "Z06 (Z07) Ultimate Performance Package" costs $10,000 and gives you the following options (copied from Chevy.com):

• Brembo® carbon-ceramic brakes with Gray metallic calipers (similar to those offered on the ZR1®)
• Magnetic Selective Ride Control
• Enhanced cooling
• Michelin® Pilot® Sport PS2™ tires
• 20-spoke Competition Gray wheels (19" x 10" front, 20" x 12" rear)
nope, i meant the z06:

price as tested: $98,010
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #110
JAB
C_H_E_V_Y

Drives: Velocity Yellow C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
Isn't a z06 with the z07 magnetic suspension close to $100,000?

Yes but for the price of the ZL1 I'd rather just get like an 09 Z06 with a few miles, I love camaro don't get me wrong and I wouldent trade my ss for a vette but if I was to spend the money I would rather have a vette then the zl1

Heritage Grill
Flat Black Full Body Stripes
Flat Black Tail Light Bezels
Flat Black Camaro Emblems
Flat Black / Red SS Emblems
Flat Black Side Markers
Chevy Bowtie Delete
Led Grill Lighting
Interior Led Lighting
Near Future ( 1'' Drop Springs, GFX and *headers,Xpipe and 3in catback with an CAI is on it way* Getting ready for the PROCHARGER
)
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #111
CJ1034

Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM Manual
ZL1

Cool pics! Got my plate already, I got 2012ZL1 and put it on my truck. Time to trade it in anyway next year. Vroom Vroom!

I would like to see a ZL1 specific color. It would be nice to see it coming and know INSTANTLY that it was a ZL1.
CJ1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #112
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Yes but for the price of the ZL1 I'd rather just get like an 09 Z06 with a few miles, I love camaro don't get me wrong and I wouldent trade my ss for a vette but if I was to spend the money I would rather have a vette then the zl1
There are still some left over 09's in dealerships. If you can find one, I'm sure you can get it in the very low 60 range, maybe even high 50's! I'm considering this as well.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #113
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I'll work on it bud when I get home.
No need to, I did this a few days ago but never got around to posting it....

I think it looks SOOOO much better...
Name:  Camaro Steering Wheel.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  366.4 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
Yup, it just doesn't fit the rest of the car .... just looks like it's coming directly from another car (yes, a Spark ...)...

Besides, I find it sad when brands with history like Chevy, having all the weight of american cars history, just ... copy european cars ...

Benchmarking BMW or Audi shouldn"t mean copying 'em ...
I....don't see any copying. The flat-bottom steering wheel is a good design, and I'm glad they used it!

As far as the center and controls resembling the corporate wheel...I've used that wheel in the Equinox - and let me tell ya': those controls are VERY comfortable to use...combined with the smaller, thicker flat-bottom wheel, I'm REALLY looking forward to this steering wheel.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #114
PonyCrusher
Back in Black

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
what part of the dash will the shift light be located? thats a cool addition I wish the ss would have that available. although i still cant get over how much I hate that steering wheel. it looks like the stole it from a cobalt
Old 03-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #115
Blackdevil77

Check out these performance specs on this camaro. The power is very close to the ZL1, probably a bit more, weight is around what you guys are estimating, performance numbers are basically identical to the 2011 GT500. I sure hope the ZL1 performs better then this.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/specs.html
Old 03-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #116
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyCrusher View Post
what part of the dash will the shift light be located? thats a cool addition I wish the ss would have that available. although i still cant get over how much I hate that steering wheel. it looks like the stole it from a cobalt

And there is no shift light...that I've heard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Check out these performance specs on this camaro. The power is very close to the ZL1, probably a bit more, weight is around what you guys are estimating, performance numbers are basically identical to the 2011 GT500. I sure hope the ZL1 performs better then this.

The Hurst Camaro is a nice package -- but it's no ZL1.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #117
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:

Attachment 218639

I....don't see any copying. The flat-bottom steering wheel is a good design, and I'm glad they used it!

As far as the center and controls resembling the corporate wheel...I've used that wheel in the Equinox - and let me tell ya': those controls are VERY comfortable to use...combined with the smaller, thicker flat-bottom wheel, I'm REALLY looking forward to this steering wheel.
That looks so much better.
I also wouldn't mind losing a ZL1 badge or two.....
Old 03-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #118
Blackdevil77

Quote:

And there is no shift light...that I've heard of.

The Hurst Camaro is a nice package -- but it's no ZL1.
As far as straight line acceleration, all the other numbers seem to be close with the ZL1. The weight, (estimated) the 11 inch rear wheels, forged aluminum wheels, power, etc. I was hoping for high 11's closer to 120mph
Old 03-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #119
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
As far as straight line acceleration, all the other numbers seem to be close with the ZL1. The weight, (estimated) the 11 inch rear wheels, forged aluminum wheels, power, etc. I was hoping for high 11's closer to 120mph
Like I said...it's just not a ZL1. There's a lot of engineering work that's going into it that aftermarket companies (while very impressive) just can't do. Chevy has access to data and resources only the 'creator' has available to them...

The Hurst is very impressive....I guess what I'm saying is the ZL1 is going to be more impressive...much more.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #120
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Like I said...it's just not a ZL1. There's a lot of engineering work that's going into it that aftermarket companies (while very impressive) just can't do. Chevy has access to data and resources only the 'creator' has available to them...

The Hurst is very impressive....I guess what I'm saying is the ZL1 is going to be more impressive...much more.
I guess we can't do much but to wait and see. I'm so impatient lol.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #121
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
That looks so much better.
I also wouldn't mind losing a ZL1 badge or two.....

and

Although I'm not as against the bowtie as most, I have to admit that the chop Dragoneye did with the word Camaro on the steering wheel looks best.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this vehicle is over badged. I know some people love having badges everywhere, but there will be some debadging going on with my ZL1. I prefer the cleaner look of minimal exterior badges. But, it's nothing to complain about though since it'll be such an easy fix.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #122
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:

Attachment 218639)
Dragoneye, that looks so much better with the Camaro lettering in the center than the bowtie.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #123
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoked View Post
SSmoked, thanks for a far more accurate recount of ZL1 badging. I missed a bunch of them that you listed. It now works out to about $3,000.00 per badge down from $7,500.00 p/badge. Look a discount already and a 550HP car too. Life just does not get any better !!!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #124
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
that is sexy. i am loving the interior. i so want the interior of that in my car and the tac.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #125
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:

I think it's reasonable to suggest the zL1 will put down similar straight line numbers to the hurst even though I have a feeling the z might be a tad heavier I'm sure we'll know soon enough
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote