Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
Car Companies Looking Back to Go Forward

Do you think this is still a good idea? I don't. I think GM made the Camaro because of Ford and Dodge making their "Retro-modern" muscle cars. I read an article saying they may "bring back" the RX-7, but IMO they should look forward and make an RX-9. What do you think?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Adam
You Said Member

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Auto RS
do you not think the new camaro is coolest looking car ever? I do.

People say it's retro, I think it's just taking a good idea and modernizing it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
I think though it may look retro now, if you looked at the future design ideas of the Mustang, you could see that car designers aren't exactly bound as much to the earlier designs as you think. In fact, it just inspires them for what direction they want to go next. I think in 20 years, if the Camaro still survives as an uplevel sport coupe, we will see ques that are uniquely 60s, but also ques that are solely of the 6th or 7th generation as well.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
They only seem to be "looking back to go forward" on a few special heritage-'equipped' cars. I don't see any harm in that. Especially not when I consider how modern they were able to make the Camaro look...In fact; I'm finding it harder and harder to notice anything retro about it. It just looks...unique now.(in a good way)
Old 02-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: Blown beast.
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
They only seem to be "looking back to go forward" on a few special heritage-'equipped' cars. I don't see any harm in that. Especially not when I consider how modern they were able to make the Camaro look...In fact; I'm finding it harder and harder to notice anything retro about it. It just looks...unique now.(in a good way)
Old 02-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Yep, it's not a Mustang that's gone '65.. It's a Camaro that's gone CAMARO!

I mean seriously, it's as if a bunch of Camaros had an orgy, and this was the result. Sweet Camaro bliss..
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I agree that the Camaro is the least-retro of this generation of the 3 cars. The Challenger folks convince themselves that this was poor vision by GM and that they missed the mark. Thanks to Scott, and being on the fanwagon of course, we know that the intent was not to throw GPS in a 1970 platform and call it "retro" like they did, but to actually make a next-generation version of the car.

So no, I don't think it was improper for GM to take certain cues from their most popular sports car they ever made, but they did it just enough to make the point, then used real design ingenuity to make it the better.

Just my opinion.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
I think the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger were a good idea. Ford obviously wanted to make the Mustang, and it was just a matter of time until Dodge and Chevy followed suit. One thing that makes me angry is the Ferrari California. They shoudln't have made it. They should have worked on a replacement for the F430.