Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
By the way ive read in several magazines that there is gonna be a v6 which will be 21k - 24k(all options). A standard V8 SS which will be around 28-30k (equivelent to mustang GT). and the SSR which is like the shelby mustang will be 35k or more. The SSR will have a 500hp plus engine.
maybe...maybe not. But make sure you take what a magazine says with a grain of salt. Don't believe everything you read. GM probably doesn't even know what they're putting in the car, yet. The magazines are speculating, and worse, they're speculating on what other magazines are speculating on - follow me?

As for options, I don't think they have gotten that far into production, yet. So there won't be a "build your Camaro" site any time soon. Challenger is due soon - but there's no "build your challenger" website.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #27
EllwynX


 
EllwynX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
It is illegal for a dealer to take a deposit for a car that doesnt have a price or isnt on the market yet.

So yes, that would be a rumor.
Not true. A local dealer by myself is accepting $500 refundable deposits to set your spot in the allocation of Camaro's. I'm considering putting the $ down to ensure my place in line to order one. It's only $500 and it's completely refundable.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #28
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
Not true. A local dealer by myself is accepting $500 refundable deposits to set your spot in the allocation of Camaro's. I'm considering putting the $ down to ensure my place in line to order one. It's only $500 and it's completely refundable.
Yep, my closest dealer has been accepting deposits for a few months, all I was told there was put down a deposit and get on the list, they had no info, not even a brochure of any kind (gee, I got a brochure from Chevy prior to my visit), they knew less about the new Camaro than I did. When they can start giving me relevant info I may consider putting down a deposit, but since I want a Z/28 if it's available, I may have to wait a while anyway.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #29
AirGoya

 
AirGoya's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago/Carbondale
Posts: 815
Can we please stop saying "grain of salt". Lets start saying something else like... idk just think of something. I was gonna try and think of something funny to say but, eh?
__________________
-Tim

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #30
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
Can we please stop saying "grain of salt". Lets start saying something else like... idk just think of something. I was gonna try and think of something funny to say but, eh?
How about a sprig of thyme, or a clove of garlic, or a scoop of ice cream...or...what's wrong with a grain of salt?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #31
stevenm357
 
Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 380
Yeah. who knows your place on the list doesn't say "base model V8 number 9" they may get 20 V6's hey man this is the car your on the list for!!!!

I wouldn't put my name on a list mainly because I will order exactly what I want.
__________________

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #32
EllwynX


 
EllwynX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Yep, my closest dealer has been accepting deposits for a few months, all I was told there was put down a deposit and get on the list, they had no info, not even a brochure of any kind (gee, I got a brochure from Chevy prior to my visit), they knew less about the new Camaro than I did. When they can start giving me relevant info I may consider putting down a deposit, but since I want a Z/28 if it's available, I may have to wait a while anyway.
Clyde

Well, it's not important, imo, if they have a lot of Camaro info.

What matters is that your name is at the top of a list to order it when it IS available.

What difference does their lack of info make? They'll get the info, and you'll get it very shortly after.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #33
EllwynX


 
EllwynX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
Yeah. who knows your place on the list doesn't say "base model V8 number 9" they may get 20 V6's hey man this is the car your on the list for!!!!

I wouldn't put my name on a list mainly because I will order exactly what I want.
I'm assuming this was directed at my comment. So I'll reply.

A place on the list at my local dealership ensures you get to order the car to your specifications.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Then why get put on the list? Does it hold your place so your guaranteed to get one of the 100 - 150,000 Camaros?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #35
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
Well, it's not important, imo, if they have a lot of Camaro info.

What matters is that your name is at the top of a list to order it when it IS available.

What difference does their lack of info make? They'll get the info, and you'll get it very shortly after.
What's the point of being at the top of a list to order one? What, do you think that they will only order one a day? I can tell you when I worked at a dealership years ago they'd take as many orders as they could get. The only good I see for a list is if you want first choice of what comes in as part of the dealer's regular stock, an order is an order, and they'll take those all day long if you have cash in your hand.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
BTW, EllwynX, I wasn't attacking on you or anything, it was actually a real question/joke...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:07 AM   #37
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
What's the point of being at the top of a list to order one? What, do you think that they will only order one a day? I can tell you when I worked at a dealership years ago they'd take as many orders as they could get. The only good I see for a list is if you want first choice of what comes in as part of the dealer's regular stock, an order is an order, and they'll take those all day long if you have cash in your hand.
Clyde
Actually with new vehicles and top end models dealers are only allotted so many of a certain model. Its done to keep price and demand high.. I know for a fact that vette orders are restricted and that the solstice orders for the first 6 months where as well.. No reason to not think that V8 models of the camaro might be restricted in the beginning of production.

Now if you wanted a specific color/option combo for a V6 that order will probably be simple to fill as the V6 will probably comprise 60-70% of the camaros built.
__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #38
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Actually with new vehicles and top end models dealers are only allotted so many of a certain model. Its done to keep price and demand high.. I know for a fact that vette orders are restricted and that the solstice orders for the first 6 months where as well.. No reason to not think that V8 models of the camaro might be restricted in the beginning of production.

Now if you wanted a specific color/option combo for a V6 that order will probably be simple to fill as the V6 will probably comprise 60-70% of the camaros built.
I can see where orders may be somewhat restricted and take longer to fill when the assembly line is trying to get dealer stock levels up, I can't see them restricting them out of hand to keep prices up, auto manufacturers want sales to go up, not down. GM has committed to increasing their market share, I still think if you have cash in hand the order will be filled somehow.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #39
stevenm357
 
Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
I'm assuming this was directed at my comment. So I'll reply.

A place on the list at my local dealership ensures you get to order the car to your specifications.
Yes it was not specifically at you but about your post. I've never heard of that before. reserving a place to order. Have they said anything about pricing? (MSRP or below) just curious. We are a pretty small area and i know the dealer fairly well I'm sure they will do their best to get me what i want. I just think it's a little crazy for the dealership to be taking money ( a few thousand dollars) down. for you to have the right to order something.
__________________

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #40
EllwynX


 
EllwynX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
Yes it was not specifically at you but about your post. I've never heard of that before. reserving a place to order. Have they said anything about pricing? (MSRP or below) just curious. We are a pretty small area and i know the dealer fairly well I'm sure they will do their best to get me what i want. I just think it's a little crazy for the dealership to be taking money ( a few thousand dollars) down. for you to have the right to order something.

Well, I didn't get overly specific when I asked them a couple questions.

But my first question was regarding price. They have stated their policy is to limit 'hot' vehicles to MSRP. No markups.

I haven't made my final decision about putting the $500 down, but I can't see how it would be a bad thing. I'm not worried about the miniscule amount of interest the dealer my make off my deposit, I have plenty more in the bank making my own interest.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #41
comiskeybum
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Posts: 800
Im just waiting until they come into the dealerships. Say for example the V6 model looks the same on the outside as the v8's. If i have to wait forever to get a v8 but the v6 looks the same and is prolly 250hp? why wait? ill get the v6 and have a bad ass looking car that i can always put a super charger on later. right?

Or maybe, if the v8 looks a little more sporty, they will have a "pony package" type thing that makes the v6 look just like a z28. yanno what i mean? Cuz those pony package mustangs looks a lot like a GT. I drove one and they are 210hp but they fly for a v6.

Basically what im saying is that you DONT HAVE TO have a V8. But i admit my first choice would be a Z28 V8 for around 29k
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #42
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
Basically what im saying is that you DONT HAVE TO have a V8. But i admit my first choice would be a Z28 V8 for around 29k
Well you might not, but I refuse to lose a V8, thats why I bought my ram (4.7 V8, 235 HP). I wont go for anything less or I will keep my Ram until I get that camaro V8.

Oh and wild paw, I agree that it will probably only be limited to when stock levels are even, but even then the V8's will take longer because they are not as in demand as the V6. The V8 crowd is going to have to get in line behind the lower powered V6 people because thats what the main output is going to be.

Look at it this way.. GM knows there are about 20k people that will be at the dealership on order day wanting to order a v8. But if they build just the v8's the demand for the V6 will be VERY high (over 20k) but the supply will be low due to the V8's being built. There fore the price of the v6 will go up and tank the program. GM wont build to the enthusiast, its already proven that if you do the program dies (2002 camaro anyone?).
__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 AM   #43
comiskeybum
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Posts: 800
Thats true about building your own mustange. The main reason I wanted to see a build your own camaro is cuz i want to see what kind of interior options there are and also what kind of options there are for the body as well. I hate how the base v6 mustang looks. the pony package and GT looks so much better than the plain grill of the base v6. However the camaro front end i think will be the same with the exception of a scoop or something.

Just saying thats the kind of stuff i want to learn for when i want to buy
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #44
MerF
Go Rays!
 
MerF's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St Pete, Florida
Posts: 2,537
I kinda hope the V6 looks more bland than the V8 model(s)...don't want my pony car being confused with RWD Luminas afterall.

Hehe
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #45
JeepinMatt
 
Drives: '99 Wrangler
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I kinda hope the V6 looks more bland than the V8 model(s)...don't want my pony car being confused with RWD Luminas afterall.

Hehe
True. One thing that annoys quite a few Mustang owners is that you can order a V6 from the factory to look very similar to the V8s. Been going on for years, I remember thinking the same thing to myself when I was looking in '99
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:14 PM   #46
comiskeybum
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Posts: 800
the pony package dosent look just like a v8. it just makes the v6 look better. there is a difference
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:20 PM   #47
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
As a V8 owner, I'd be pissed if there wasn't something to differenciate my car from the V6's...of course, look closer at what Ford is doing - making the V6 model more appealing to buyers. 150,000 units a year is nothing to snort at...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 AM   #48
JeepinMatt
 
Drives: '99 Wrangler
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
the pony package dosent look just like a v8. it just makes the v6 look better. there is a difference
True, but the earlier SN95 based Mustangs from 99-04 had packages that made them look just like the GT
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:21 PM   #49
AirGoya

 
AirGoya's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago/Carbondale
Posts: 815
With most cars I can tell what engine it has with the exhaust. Dual usually means v8, sport or whatever.
__________________
-Tim


Last edited by AirGoya; 08-15-2007 at 11:31 PM.
AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #50
comiskeybum
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Posts: 800
Yeah dual exhaust usually means bigger engine
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.