Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
JETG

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
HEADS, who has the best heads for the LS3 ???

Okay what are the options, I have seen that TSP is working on a LS7 style heads. What is the options that we have, seems from what I have read for the most part stock heads flow good as it is, so if there is a LS7 style made, we could run a larger cam ??? and different intake, and maybe get it up to say 500+ rwhp NA, with out a stroker.

Anyone have any experience with after market heads, and gains ect.

J
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Smoky10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Everyone that I've talked to and everything that I've read said that for the money it's really know worth it just yet. Especially if you are staying N/A. I mean $800+ for only about 20WHP isn't worth it to me.
Smoky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
JETG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky10 View Post
Everyone that I've talked to and everything that I've read said that for the money it's really know worth it just yet. Especially if you are staying N/A. I mean $800+ for only about 20WHP isn't worth it to me.

Yep I am with ya on that, I have heard of cars getting over 500rwhp on motor, but that is just it HEARD about them.

I am patiently waiting to see how the TSP LS7 style heads turns out and what size cam we can run with them. Think that might actually make some gains

I am currently at 465rwhp, with kooks headers and stock exhaust and no cats. Just added a 3" catback, so might have picked up 5-10rwhp, not sure yet. Really have been thinking heads, but if there is a better set of heads comming out hmm might need to wait a little while longer, just not much in the patience dept.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
A bigger motor needs better heads. Not a lot to be gained with a 6.3 small block. For the money you can't beat Darren Morgan's offer of "$595.00 to port them,valve job and mill them to what ever chamber volume you want. I can assemble them with what ever parts you want or need at no extra cost if I do the porting. That's a price you cant beat anywhere! Plus, you know its done right and that's a good feeling when your twisting 7000rpm." http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=42255&page=5 this is an excellent thread on porting. Too many people want to hog out ports to increase flow and lose power due to decreased velocity. You only need bigger ports with a bigger motor. I tried a set of TEA CNC heads and lost 15hp. They were rated to flow 355 intake and 245 exhaust @ .600 lift. The exhaust was way off.

You need better springs for a cam and he will put heads together and mill them and a good valve job (this may be as important as the porting). Milling, valve job and assembly can run $300.00 at a head shop. However, springs alone can be done on the car cheaper. Better springs are the only absolute necessity for a cam. But it is a good idea to replace the trunion bearings in the stock rocker arms while your at it. I believe the best springs are the comp cam tool steel. I tried the patriot gold and they made less power and did not rev as far.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
Yep I am with ya on that, I have heard of cars getting over 500rwhp on motor, but that is just it HEARD about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daygo1966 View Post
Ok guys....here's the numbers I got off the Dyno Sheet. I was told you lose 18% from the flywheel back. Does the 18% sound high? Anyway the 600+ HP at the motor is as advertised! I couldn't be any happier! NicKey is 100% plus in my book.

Maximum Power 517.8@ 6490 RPM/151.5 MPH Rear Wheel Horsepower

Maximum Torgue 448.5 @ 5392 RPM/124.8 MPH Rear Wheel
The above quote from dayglo1966 is taken from his build thread for his Nickey #36 Stage II N/A build. Post #23 shows the CNC'd heads that Nickey uses to get to over 500 HP at the rear wheels. So it is possible.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS used to OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
JETG

Currently mods are TSP 231/236 cam on 112, Kooks 1 7/8" headers, no cats. Full 3" XSP exhaust, Rotofab intake, tune before exhaust, ported stock intake and ported stock TB. The car before the catback was installed was 465rwhp and 431 rwtq, maybe have another 5-10rwhp.

I am looking at if need be, a LSX intake, and new cam, good set of heads, and do Morel Lifters, and aftermarket RR's while at it. Looking at getting 510-520 rwhp, and no this is not a daily driver just a fun car. Maybe later on either build a stroker or FI the vehicle. I am not known to keep my cars stock and have always gone with the "juice" and might go that route, but right now looking to max out the stock LS3.

J
Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Lonnie@Texas-Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro - BIW
At your level of modifications, about the only power left, short of the FAST intake combo, you really don't have any more significant power to gain without going into the short-block and adding cubes. So I'd say currently for you, $800 for 20-25rwhp is a great buy!
Lonnie@Texas-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
JETG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed View Post
At your level of modifications, about the only power left, short of the FAST intake combo, you really don't have any more significant power to gain without going into the short-block and adding cubes. So I'd say currently for you, $800 for 20-25rwhp is a great buy!

Yep it has gotten to that point, and only really need a pully as far as bolt ons that add power and I am done with the stock LS3 power wise.

What about the new heads that you guys have comming out, do you think I should just wait and see ???

Okay and figured I say I want to go into the motor, and do a 416 or 427. From what I am seeing, the 416 is around 510-520 rwhp and 427 a little more than that ??? Not much to gain, I do understand the different in the power and curves and it would pull better. But for what cost, considering I could do a nice H/C/I combo and direct port combo and leave it a stock LS3 and the torque should be off the chain on a nitrous set up. The end goal is for over 520ish rwhp and then spray it to 150-200 with a set of axels, and new clutch and hope to god the output shaft stays for a while, if not then upgrade the tranny. O ya and cant forget the drive shaft.

Figure I would be comfortable in the 650-700rwhp range to start off, then move up from there. Not one for loosing LOL
J
Old 03-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Lonnie@Texas-Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro - BIW
The only downside I've seen and foresee with the new PRC LS7 small-bore castings will be the need to rev the engine a good bit higher to make the power. Those relatively big runners still need either cubes or more RPM to excite (velocity) the intake runners and make the big power! of course we'll get that more under control as time goes once we're able to nail down the valve timing...that's just a matter of time in testing.
Lonnie@Texas-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
JETG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed View Post
The only downside I've seen and foresee with the new PRC LS7 small-bore castings will be the need to rev the engine a good bit higher to make the power. Those relatively big runners still need either cubes or more RPM to excite (velocity) the intake runners and make the big power! of course we'll get that more under control as time goes once we're able to nail down the valve timing...that's just a matter of time in testing.

What are you doing then get to work , sorry just want more power and trying to decide which route I want to go and how far to take it. I was thinking about 1K+ rwhp, but really want it to be a fun car, and think that 750-800 max will do me just fine in the end. Figure I would like to get it up to 600+ to start and go from there.

J
Old 03-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
SShift

Drives: Only Bowties!
The best is mast black label heads.
SShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Smoky10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
That sounds like some booze...lol
Smoky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
application and budget.. lots of good heads out there but like TSP said will you be taking advantage of them? We offer a program for $1200 or $1800 to enhance what you have after that you have to start looking at different aftermarket options The MAST black labels are very nice, we have some new stuff coming out as well.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114592

Heads thread
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Heads weren't worth very much in the build that Robin L. did for Hot Rod mag.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ons/index.html

Everything that I have read has said that the stock LS3 heads are beasts as-is.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
Heads weren't worth very much in the build that Robin L. did for Hot Rod mag.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ons/index.html

Everything that I have read has said that the stock LS3 heads are beasts as-is.
GMPP's cnc program is garbage, and they're still just ported stock castings
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #17
JETG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
application and budget.. lots of good heads out there but like TSP said will you be taking advantage of them? We offer a program for $1200 or $1800 to enhance what you have after that you have to start looking at different aftermarket options The MAST black labels are very nice, we have some new stuff coming out as well.

Okay what do you think on a stock LS3, the Mast black labels could do power wise, anyone real world experience compaired to just a port and polish stock LS3 head ?? Also I am currently running a 231/236 TSP cam, wonder if I should move up and get a bigger cam ect. Then do a FAST intake, and maybe fly cut the pistons for a bigger cam ect. Really looking to top 520rwhp on motor right now and then gas it with say 200shot. I have been thinking about doing FI, but have always like the nitrous and love the torque you get from the nitrous.

J
Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #18
JETG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovenmitt View Post

Awesome thanks, I have read that one and several others on this board. Really looking for someone with experience and see the gains.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #19
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
We will have a full run of PRC aftermarket casting LS3 heads that should be about ready to begin shipping in under a month.

We also offer probably the most popular ported LS3 stock castings available right now.

Option 3 is we have recently finished a complete LS7 cylinder head that will install on a LS3 engine. They do however change the way the LS3 act, it starts acting more like a LS7 engine & rev's higher in the RPM band to make peak power.

It really depends what your looking to spend. The PRC Porting exchange on your stock heads will gain about 20-25rwhp & cost $850! The aftermarket casting stuff will go for something more like $2200+
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #20
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Checkout my threads where I post my dyno sheets from installing PRC ported stock castings!!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #21
JETG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
We will have a full run of PRC aftermarket casting LS3 heads that should be about ready to begin shipping in under a month.

We also offer probably the most popular ported LS3 stock castings available right now.

Option 3 is we have recently finished a complete LS7 cylinder head that will install on a LS3 engine. They do however change the way the LS3 act, it starts acting more like a LS7 engine & rev's higher in the RPM band to make peak power.

It really depends what your looking to spend. The PRC Porting exchange on your stock heads will gain about 20-25rwhp & cost $850! The aftermarket casting stuff will go for something more like $2200+

Say I was interested in Option 3, so how far would I have to rev it and would the LS3 take a higher Rev ??? what are the options as far as cams with a set up like this. Also I would need a new intake ???

J

Will check on your PRC threads
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
Okay what do you think on a stock LS3, the Mast black labels could do power wise, anyone real world experience compaired to just a port and polish stock LS3 head ??

Really looking to top 520rwhp on motor right now and then gas it with say 200shot. I have been thinking about doing FI, but have always like the nitrous and love the torque you get from the nitrous.

J
Mast heads would be a great choice... I gained 92hp on my L99 with Scoggin Dickey Heads and Comp Cam as you know and will probably see sometime soon. Also did an SLP pully.

Hit 570 on a 150 shot too... you would probably get over the 600 mark for sure with an LS3 and 200 shot...
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
JETG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Mast heads would be a great choice... I gained 92hp on my L99 with Scoggin Dickey Heads and Comp Cam as you know and will probably see sometime soon. Also did an SLP pully.

Hit 570 on a 150 shot too... you would probably get over the 600 mark for sure with an LS3 and 200 shot...

That is what I am looking at is the Mast heads for TSP, I think either way I could get a little over 500rwhp and easly with a 100 shot get past 600rwhp. Think with the 200 it would be shy of 700rwhp, but the torque would be insane.

Just need to figure out which heads, and will get the pully done at the same time.

J
Old 03-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #24
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky10 View Post
Versus say 900 plus dollars on a FAST which may only give you 5-10 hp...Or say a set of headers with no tuning, ect.

I would say that the cylinder head market has caught up with the LS3/LS7/LS9/LSA square port cylinder heads and there are goo power gains to be had, and well worth the money. It is traditionally known that you typically do not just add ported heads to a car, you typically combine them with a cam, a blower, full bolt ons ect.

At the point where you have other modifications and are seeking more horsepower heads are the answer, whether its NA, Boost, or N20 applications. Increasing velocity, total CFM, and fuel atomization in the ports by CNC porting yields great benefits and typically can be purchased for 750 dollars-1000 dollars using your cylinder heads as cores in most instances.

Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #25
JETG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
Versus say 900 plus dollars on a FAST which may only give you 5-10 hp...Or say a set of headers with no tuning, ect.

I would say that the cylinder head market has caught up with the LS3/LS7/LS9/LSA square port cylinder heads and there are goo power gains to be had, and well worth the money. It is traditionally known that you typically do not just add ported heads to a car, you typically combine them with a cam, a blower, full bolt ons ect.

At the point where you have other modifications and are seeking more horsepower heads are the answer, whether its NA, Boost, or N20 applications. Increasing velocity, total CFM, and fuel atomization in the ports by CNC porting yields great benefits and typically can be purchased for 750 dollars-1000 dollars using your cylinder heads as cores in most instances.

Regards

I agree, it cost money for HP. Once you get to a certain point your power to dollar wise gets worse and worse. But just like a driveshaft or axles or rear end or clutch. While that doesnt add hp, it makes it so you can put it to the ground.

J