Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #151
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,306
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The union is not holding the cars hostage! Guys, read the thread. The company has decided to hold the cars until GM and Chrysler pay extra. Where does the union come into play? I am not the biggest fan of unions, especially after the UAW wanted a raise while GM was going into restructuring. The fact that a union is involved and everyone wants to blame them is remarkable. The union is under an existing contract to get paid a certain way. That was fine until gas prices ate into the company's bottom line, and the guys behind a desk saw their commissions and bonuses at risk. We're so eager to see working people take a hit like we did—and I say we because I've taken a huge hit—that we forget about the guys still making at least 6 figures. There are a lot more guys driving trucks than people telling those guys where to go, but you'd be shocked to find out how much an executive makes even when the company is losing money.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #152
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....
 
spoone123's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC, Goldsboro
Posts: 622
Lets say, would you rather get 20% cut OR loose your jobs. Obviously, after all these cars that's being held hostage comes back. Chevy and Chrysler will change the hauler company. Would that hauler fire some people? we'll i believe so if they don't have any big client like GM or Chrysler paying them. From what I understand from the article is that. The hauler company ask for more money from chevy and chrysler, because of the gas price. Which make sense, but why would you held cars that've been bought and paid for??. Wouldn't that technically stealing? if the owner of that car have the tittle of the car. can they owner sue them? Hm... something to think about.
__________________
Airraid CAI, Havoc Rims, Perreli tires, Remote start
spoone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #153
Russell James


 
Russell James's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,444
I don't think it has much to do about unions. Much of the trucking industry is unionized, been like that for decades, will be like that for decades... In my travels, I've met a lot of truck drivers, have a couple of cousins that are truck drivers... all stand up guys just working hard for a living.

The real issue is someone else's property locked up as bargaining blackmail.
The decision to do that happens at the top of the company's executives.

Some might call that extortion, racketeering... GM should have called the FBI on day 1.

Seems to me what they are doing would be considered extortion and interfering with commerce... both below in the legal definition of racketeering.



RACKETEERING ACTIVITY

(A) any act or threat involving murder, kidnaping, gambling, arson, robbery, bribery, extortion, dealing in obscene matter, or dealing in narcotic or other dangerous drugs, which is chargeable under State law and punishable by imprisonment for more than one year; any act which is indictable under the following [sections] of 18, U.S.C.: 201 (bribery), 224 (sports bribery), 471, 472, and 473 (counterfeiting), 659 (theft from interstate shipment) if act indictable under 659 is felonious, 664 (embezzlement from pension/welfare funds), 891-894 (extortionate credit transactions), 1029 (fraud with access devices), 1084 (transmission of gambling info), 1341 (mail fraud), 1343 (wire fraud), 1344 (financial institution fraud), 1461-1465 (obscene matter), 1503 (obstruction of justice), 1510 (obstruction of criminal investigations), 1511 (obstruction of State or local law enforcement), 1512 (tampering with a witness, victim, or informant), 1513 (retaliating against a witness, victim, or informant), 1951 (interference w/commerce, robbery, or extortion), 1952 (racketeering), 1953 (transport of wagering paraphernalia), 1954 (unlawful welfare payments), 1955 (illegal gambling businesses), 1956 (laundering of monetary instruments), 1957 (monetary transactions derived from specified unlawful activity), 1958 (use of interstate commerce facilities in murder-for-hire), 2251-2252 (sexual exploitation of children), 2312 and 2313 (interstate transport of stolen motor vehicles), 2314 and 2315 (interstate transport of stolen property), 2321 (traffic in motor vehicles or parts), 2341-2346 (traffic in contraband cigarettes), 2421-24 (white slave traffic); any act indictable under 29 U.S.C. 186 (payments/loans to labor orgs) or 501(c) (embezzlement from union funds); fraud connected with a case under title 11, fraud in sale of securities, or felonious dealing in narcotic/other dangerous drugs; or any act indictable under Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act. 18 USC
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #154
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes
 
camarolt76's Avatar
 
Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hampton Roads Virginia
Posts: 596
Let those inocent Camaro SS cars go! They did not do anything to deserve this!
__________________
2SS/RS Black with CGM Rally Stripes (#8575) Built on 8th of May, Delivered 10 June 2009.

camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #155
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....
 
spoone123's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC, Goldsboro
Posts: 622
if they stop driving Ferrari and shit they wouldn't have this problem. Damn executive LOL
__________________
Airraid CAI, Havoc Rims, Perreli tires, Remote start
spoone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #156
kstmbkes
 
kstmbkes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2ss Rally yellow
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 69
Send a message via Yahoo to kstmbkes
with this economy, allied should be happy with the work they have. talk about shooting yourself in the foot. or biting the hand that feeds. if allied is having problems with overhead it smarter to fire that extra person in the main off that sits on his ass and actually has no benefit to the company. at some point the drivers are going to do what they want and go where they will get paid. since most drivers usually get paid by the load and distance. Allied is taking bread of the table for their families and that never sits well.
kstmbkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #157
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)
 
One Mean Chevy's Avatar
 
Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: GM Country
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Mean Chevy View Post
GOOD NEWS: My Dealer is NOT LYING to me.

THE BAD NEWS: The Manual SS they order that I'm waiting to Test Drive may be held Hostage.

I will know for sure in about 2 weeks or less. His Dealership Hire their own Trucking Company to go an get thier Vehicles from a Depot about a 200 miles away around trip. IF the manual SS is not at the Depot then it is a Hostage.

Once I test drive the Manual SS. I'm pulling the Trigger and ordering what I want. I'm not going for the whole, "Oh there is a dealer XX amount of miles away that has what you want. We can get it here by ______."
Ok it was NOT at the Depot. Hopefully it is sitting somewhere else other than on Allied Property.
__________________
Horsepower Means Nothing without the Torque and Transmission to back it up.

GM, WILL SURVIVE AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER.

2011 Camaro SS (6-Speed) w/RS Package. Its Great to be back in Black and a Chevy Again.

----------------------------
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #158
2L82RUN
 
2L82RUN's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 583
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by az2009se View Post
The company made the bad decision. The union does not run the company, it represents the workers.

Don't blame the union.
__________________
2L82RUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #159
Robinette
 
Drives: 1969 RS Convertible, 2010 Black 1LT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3
I've just read a bunch of articles on this situation...
And I think this one from Allen County 11 days ago gives excellent details of what's going on, and how this is getting fixed...
This article is not about our beloved Camaros, but it gives great insight into what's happening...

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20110318/BIZ/303189934


Quote:
Published: March 18, 2011 3:00 a.m.
New boss, same GM work – and pay – for haulers
Sherry Slater | The Journal Gazette

FORT WAYNE – Some local transport workers on Thursday transferred to a new employer after a week of behind-the-scenes wrangling.

But those members of Teamsters Local 414 will continue to play a role in moving new Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups from the Allen County truck assembly plant to dealership lots.

Allied Automotive Group last week notified union leaders their employees’ pay was being cut by 20 percent, Teamsters Local 414 President George Gerdes said. The union responded with a 72-hour strike notice, he said.

Allied transports vehicles for several carmakers, including Ford, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota.

“The gist is, (Allied) couldn’t afford to pay us the full rate on what GM was paying them,” Gerdes said.

GM corporate spokesman Dan Flores said Allied decided to discontinue service to the Allen County plant. Flores didn’t have additional details except to say no production disruptions are expected.

Ford Motor Co. renegotiated its contract with Allied Automotive, agreeing to increased terms, Gerdes said. But GM declined to do the same, he said.

Allied Automotive decided to stop shipping cars from all GM factories, Gerdes said. But competitor Jack Cooper Transport was able to reach a deal with GM to take over the duties, CEO Bob Griffin confirmed.

Because the Teamsters supply workers to both transportation companies, the same workers will continue moving pickups at GM’s Allen County plant. They will draw paychecks from Jack Cooper instead of Allied.

Workers’ duties include moving trucks from the end of the production line to either the rail or truck area.

Despite the employment switch, the union members will work under the same contract and retain seniority and holidays, Gerdes said. Wages average $20.50 an hour, he said.

“We’re flexible,” he said. “We’re not trying to shut GM down.”

Griffin, who is based in Kansas City, Mo., said Jack Cooper already had a presence in Fort Wayne. The company also had enough transport trucks to keep up with the increased workforce and workload, he said. He doesn’t believe anyone will be left without a job.

Jack Cooper has a 50-year business relationship with GM, Griffin said, and details are still being finalized on the new minimum three-year agreement.

Griffin declined to speculate why Allied couldn’t honor the union contract based on what GM will pay.

“I really can’t answer why they can’t handle the business but we can,” he said. “It will be very profitable to us.”
Robinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #160
TOMS1SS


 
Drives: NA
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NA
Posts: 12,172
I wish I could steal property and hold it hostage for 15% pay increases. Does this really surprise anyone since this is the Teamsters union we're talking about? They did some good back in the day for fair wages but they have been nothing but a thug union since Jimmy Hoffa. If this was the my Camaro with all the money I put down Allied and the Teamsters would be seeing a lawsuit from me also.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 AM   #161
jmaryt

 
Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: salem,nh
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Update on the issue from The local paper The Detroit news.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2...103242011&ts=H

Cars 'Held Hostage' In Legal Dispute

Delivery Company Refuses To Haul Hundreds Of GM, Chrysler Vehicles


POSTED: Thursday, March 24, 2011
UPDATED: 7:51 pm EDT March 24, 2011



DEARBORN, Mich. -- Hundreds of new General Motors and Chrysler vehicles are parked in a holding lot in Dearborn because of a dispute between the automakers and a car-hauling company.
Chrysler and GM said their vehicles, which are supposed to be delivered to local dealerships, are being "held hostage."
Watch: Automaker's' Dispute With Haulig Company Leaves Cars In Lot
The dispute is over how much the car-hauling company, Allied Systems, has asked the automakers to pay.
According to a driver for Allied Systems, the dispute started when Allied cut drivers' pay by 20 percent.
The driver, who asked not to be identified, said Allied Systems backed off the pay cut after the drivers' union threatened to strike.
The driver said at that point Allied Systems tried to make up the difference by imposing a fuel surcharge on the automakers.
General Motors and Chrysler have refused to pay the surcharge and have sued Allied Systems, demanding the vehicles be delivered.
The dispute has left auto salespersons, customers and delivery drivers caught in the middle.
"I feel like I'm in limbo," said one car-hauler who asked not to be identified. "It feels like it's a waiting game and we're kind of stuck in the middle. And we're just very hopeful that this gets worked out soon."
Car-haulers said they are also concerned about what the legal dispute will do to their jobs.
"The concern for my job is there because it's a battle between two very large companies," said a driver who works for Allied Systems. "I'm just hoping they can meet in the middle because a lot of people's livelihoods are at stake here."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
The unions do not help. Let's be real. I've taken pay cuts and gone without pay checks during tough times to help my company out. I'm not entitled to anything from my company other than to get pay for helping them make money. The union should have taken the pay cut while the company fixed its problems. How does this action help the company or the union?
the problem is that once the "pay cut" takes effect,the drivers will NOT be able to get that money back!..it's gone!,and they know this,hence the action taken by the union!..this WILL be resolved by both sides agreeing to "negotiate"..just sayin!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:05 AM   #162
Bonemaro

 
Bonemaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canton, Mi.
Posts: 1,694
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Now is not the time to mention the car carrier loaded with new Mustangs i saw today on I-94 eastbound to Detroit...
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 AM   #163
ambientweather
 
ambientweather's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 265
Here is a great on topic story of Chrysler Union workers getting drunk and smoking pot during lunch http://http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/23/chrysler-auto-workers-caught-camera-drinking-beer-smoking-pot-lunch-break/

They thought they wouldn't get fired and they would have still been working there if the cameras were not rolling. This is what unions breed.
ambientweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #164
Mark Myles
 
Mark Myles's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northeast Michigan
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I don't think it has much to do about unions. Much of the trucking industry is unionized, been like that for decades, will be like that for decades... In my travels, I've met a lot of truck drivers, have a couple of cousins that are truck drivers... all stand up guys just working hard for a living.

The real issue is someone else's property locked up as bargaining blackmail.
The decision to do that happens at the top of the company's executives.

Some might call that extortion, racketeering... GM should have called the FBI on day 1.

Seems to me what they are doing would be considered extortion and interfering with commerce... both below in the legal definition of racketeering.



RACKETEERING ACTIVITY

(A) any act or threat involving murder, kidnaping, gambling, arson, robbery, bribery, extortion, dealing in obscene matter, or dealing in narcotic or other dangerous drugs, which is chargeable under State law and punishable by imprisonment for more than one year; any act which is indictable under the following [sections] of 18, U.S.C.: 201 (bribery), 224 (sports bribery), 471, 472, and 473 (counterfeiting), 659 (theft from interstate shipment) if act indictable under 659 is felonious, 664 (embezzlement from pension/welfare funds), 891-894 (extortionate credit transactions), 1029 (fraud with access devices), 1084 (transmission of gambling info), 1341 (mail fraud), 1343 (wire fraud), 1344 (financial institution fraud), 1461-1465 (obscene matter), 1503 (obstruction of justice), 1510 (obstruction of criminal investigations), 1511 (obstruction of State or local law enforcement), 1512 (tampering with a witness, victim, or informant), 1513 (retaliating against a witness, victim, or informant), 1951 (interference w/commerce, robbery, or extortion), 1952 (racketeering), 1953 (transport of wagering paraphernalia), 1954 (unlawful welfare payments), 1955 (illegal gambling businesses), 1956 (laundering of monetary instruments), 1957 (monetary transactions derived from specified unlawful activity), 1958 (use of interstate commerce facilities in murder-for-hire), 2251-2252 (sexual exploitation of children), 2312 and 2313 (interstate transport of stolen motor vehicles), 2314 and 2315 (interstate transport of stolen property), 2321 (traffic in motor vehicles or parts), 2341-2346 (traffic in contraband cigarettes), 2421-24 (white slave traffic); any act indictable under 29 U.S.C. 186 (payments/loans to labor orgs) or 501(c) (embezzlement from union funds); fraud connected with a case under title 11, fraud in sale of securities, or felonious dealing in narcotic/other dangerous drugs; or any act indictable under Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act. 18 USC


R.I.C.O.

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #165
PINKED
 
PINKED's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Triple Black 2SS/RS Vert
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 66
Well.. Good news!!! Apparently the hostage cars have been released and moved to another location where they are going through a thorough inspection before being loaded onto trucks for delivery! My sales person also said that the "sold cars" are being given priority!!

At least there is movement!!! I feel like I had a baby and the hospital won't give it to me!
__________________
2/1/11 (1100) - Order Placed
3/3/11 (3800) - Order Produced
3/14/11 (4B00) - Dearborn, MI Hostage Victim
4//13/11 (5000) - Delivered!
PINKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #166
John Deere Boy
I bleed green
 
John Deere Boy's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Centerville, Indiana
Posts: 457
Sweet! Thanks for the update. I spoke with my dealer today and he said mine might be one of the ones held captive. If it is, I'm glad to hear about the thorough inspection.
__________________

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #167
Razorwire
Razorwire
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
Posts: 3
I got a call from my car dealer today and he told me my car has also been released. i will be able to pick it up on Friday. Hopefully not an April fool joke.
Razorwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #168
bob vogel

 
Drives: 2010 rs ss
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: calif
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This is just stupid. Why would Allied think this is a good idea?
well ...at least 2 side to a story? mybe if we heard both sides we would have a better clue.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #169
Whitten
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 76
7 pages of trying to figure out who was at fault...on a situation that is not that complicated. (Shakes head)

I deal with all of the same issues in my line of work. I get surcharge changes nearly weekly from my suppliers to cover the fluctuations in their costs...that gets passed down the line to my customers, very simple, however this is understood upfront.

If Allied's contract with the manufacturers set a per car cost per zone or destination then so be it. If they did not write it in that their surcharges were due to fluctuations based on market prices for fuel and so forth then Allied is obliged to take the loss on the chin and deliver as promised until they renegotiate their contract.(see 1-2 year long contracts rather than 10 year contracts) If allied could not prepare for rising fuel costs...well it goes without saying and I will leave it at that.

I don't blame the union for sticking up for the drivers...that is the whole reason why they are there. That being said if Allied does not have the ability or want to take the loss of operating in the red then they should have had that in their union contract when they got in bed with the union. (also Allied's fault)

This is why you have contracts and lawyers in the first place. Allied either continues to hold up their end of the deal and suffer through the rough patch, or declares to GM that they cannot or will not be able to honor their contract due to the risk of bankruptcy, finds a way to break their contract, and allows GM find a hauling company that they can negotiate a new deal with. At any rate any inventory that is currently in Allied's possession should be delivered as scheduled and new inventory should be refused so that other companies can take over where they dropped the ball. Either way Allied is going to end up in court in hot water and if I were the legal team over at Allied...I would be looking for a new line of work because you obviously did not understand the semesters of Law school where they covered contract law, binding agreements, and or any other principal for legal counsel.
Whitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #170
kbui

 
kbui's Avatar
 
Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitten View Post
7 pages of trying to figure out who was at fault...on a situation that is not that complicated. (Shakes head)

I deal with all of the same issues in my line of work. I get surcharge changes nearly weekly from my suppliers to cover the fluctuations in their costs...that gets passed down the line to my customers, very simple, however this is understood upfront.

If Allied's contract with the manufacturers set a per car cost per zone or destination then so be it. If they did not write it in that their surcharges were due to fluctuations based on market prices for fuel and so forth then Allied is obliged to take the loss on the chin and deliver as promised until they renegotiate their contract.(see 1-2 year long contracts rather than 10 year contracts) If allied could not prepare for rising fuel costs...well it goes without saying and I will leave it at that.

I don't blame the union for sticking up for the drivers...that is the whole reason why they are there. That being said if Allied does not have the ability or want to take the loss of operating in the red then they should have had that in their union contract when they got in bed with the union. (also Allied's fault)

This is why you have contracts and lawyers in the first place. Allied either continues to hold up their end of the deal and suffer through the rough patch, or declares to GM that they cannot or will not be able to honor their contract due to the risk of bankruptcy, finds a way to break their contract, and allows GM find a hauling company that they can negotiate a new deal with. At any rate any inventory that is currently in Allied's possession should be delivered as scheduled and new inventory should be refused so that other companies can take over where they dropped the ball. Either way Allied is going to end up in court in hot water and if I were the legal team over at Allied...I would be looking for a new line of work because you obviously did not understand the semesters of Law school where they covered contract law, binding agreements, and or any other principal for legal counsel.

Excellent ! So simple yet many can't seem to get it....I have the same problem. I always work on fixed price contracts. If I screwed up and underestimated my costs, I am working for free and my kids will be eating Ramen noodles until the next contract
__________________

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #171
Whitten
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
Excellent ! So simple yet many can't seem to get it....I have the same problem. I always work on fixed price contracts. If I screwed up and underestimated my costs, I am working for free and my kids will be eating Ramen noodles until the next contract
My guys joke that they make so little money now compared to 3 years ago that they have been stuck with eating potted meat
Whitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #172
fastball
White 'n Nerdy
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitten View Post
7 pages of trying to figure out who was at fault...on a situation that is not that complicated. (Shakes head)

I deal with all of the same issues in my line of work. I get surcharge changes nearly weekly from my suppliers to cover the fluctuations in their costs...that gets passed down the line to my customers, very simple, however this is understood upfront.

If Allied's contract with the manufacturers set a per car cost per zone or destination then so be it. If they did not write it in that their surcharges were due to fluctuations based on market prices for fuel and so forth then Allied is obliged to take the loss on the chin and deliver as promised until they renegotiate their contract.(see 1-2 year long contracts rather than 10 year contracts) If allied could not prepare for rising fuel costs...well it goes without saying and I will leave it at that.

I don't blame the union for sticking up for the drivers...that is the whole reason why they are there. That being said if Allied does not have the ability or want to take the loss of operating in the red then they should have had that in their union contract when they got in bed with the union. (also Allied's fault)

This is why you have contracts and lawyers in the first place. Allied either continues to hold up their end of the deal and suffer through the rough patch, or declares to GM that they cannot or will not be able to honor their contract due to the risk of bankruptcy, finds a way to break their contract, and allows GM find a hauling company that they can negotiate a new deal with. At any rate any inventory that is currently in Allied's possession should be delivered as scheduled and new inventory should be refused so that other companies can take over where they dropped the ball. Either way Allied is going to end up in court in hot water and if I were the legal team over at Allied...I would be looking for a new line of work because you obviously did not understand the semesters of Law school where they covered contract law, binding agreements, and or any other principal for legal counsel.
Excuse us if we're not all attorneys and accountants. The bottom line is that drivers held property that they had absolutely no right to. No matter what the contracts said, didn't say, who paid who, or what the fuc^ing price of rice in China was that day, they should have delivered every single Camaro and Silverado on their schedule on time.

Those who supported the drivers in any way here should be prosecuted as well as the drivers themselves. At minimum, they should all be immediately terminated from their jobs.
__________________
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #173
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Excuse us if we're not all attorneys and accountants. The bottom line is that drivers held property that they had absolutely no right to. No matter what the contracts said, didn't say, who paid who, or what the fuc^ing price of rice in China was that day, they should have delivered every single Camaro and Silverado on their schedule on time.
But what many seem to be confused about is that the drivers did so because their bosses, not the union, told them to do so. There is a lot of misplaced anger in this thread.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #174
Blueclyde

 
Blueclyde's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,384
I'm the last guy to agree with unions but I have to agree that Allied's bad decisions and business practices are really the issue here. The union is maybe inflexible but Allied has clearly made some very serious mis-steps in running their business.
__________________
2014 ZL1, AGM, Ricaros, M6, ECF
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #175
cmore
 
cmore's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Tn
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I'm the last guy to agree with unions but I have to agree that Allied's bad decisions and business practices are really the issue here. The union is maybe inflexible but Allied has clearly made some very serious mis-steps in running their business.
That is the way I see it also.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the V6 Consisdered a muscle car? zlwebb 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 455 06-10-2014 12:19 PM
Think about this and the Z28 5th gen 13F20 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 41 09-04-2010 01:59 AM
Chrysler Files for Bankruptcy rphtx General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 34 05-03-2009 11:42 PM
Chrysler SOLD! Urthman General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 05-14-2007 02:33 PM
Iacocca rips auto industry, warns: Don't sell Chrysler KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 6 04-14-2007 12:38 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.