Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
DjfunkmasterG
Indie Zombie Film King

Drives: 2011 LS M6
Engine Knock 3.6L

Went to head out for smokes tonight got into the car and the engine suddenly started rattling upon start up.

Knock Knock Knock, but no service engine soon, light nothing. I let it idle thinking maybe it was just cold out... but it got louder and louder... shut the car down... calling Dealer tomorrow to have it towed in.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
maybe the car's telling you you don't need cigarettes...
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
When that happened to me it threw a bearing, required an entire motor rebuild even though I should have just got a new motor.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
if you do a search there was a guy here awhile back with the same exact issue but I think it came back to normal right after. Also, could it be possible that your battery was drained?
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
Our's did that about 4 days old ... about 20 months ago...never again.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
DjfunkmasterG
Indie Zombie Film King

I'll try firing it up in the morning to see if it is still doing it, none to happy to be honest. The car only has 10600 miles on it.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
DjfunkmasterG
Indie Zombie Film King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
if you do a search there was a guy here awhile back with the same exact issue but I think it came back to normal right after. Also, could it be possible that your battery was drained?

No on the battery drain... I am pretty anal about stuff like that... making sure lights are off and MP3 player is unplugged. If the battery is draining, then there is an electrical issue somewhere.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
DjfunkmasterG, have you been able to narrow down the issue or have you spoken with your dealership about the issue?

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
porkrind
Unapologetically American

Drives: 2013 Dusk Special Edition 2LT/RS
OK I may have a similar issue. My 2LT RS has 220 miles on it. 2 days ago I started noticing a sound which could be knocking, but it sounded more like a jake-brake just not as loud. It would happen usually when I let off the gas. I live on a military post so I never got over 30 mph. Yesterday we "went into town" and I got it up to 60mph. Around the 4000RPM mark it got real loud and noticable. After that it does it all the time most noticeable between 1500-200 RPM. The loud sound is in sync with the exhaust note ie-the knocking frequency happens at the same time the exhaust exits. It will be taken into the dealer tomorrow, but I'm kinda pissed. It only has 220 miles on it! I'm not sure what is causing this, but I do know it isn't a normal sound and shouldn't be there. I will try the "hit it with a rubber mallet test" the SS guys were having to do for loose baffles, but it shouldn't have affected my 2LT as it was built well after 09. I'm also not sure it sounds like loose baffles. I just know I'm baffled! LOL
It will also do this while in park/neutral as in not under load.
Any ideas? Something else engine wise I can check?
porkrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hello porkrind, could you keep us up to date on what happens at the dealership?

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
porkrind

Well...i took it in on Monday morning and then had to go out of town work. They called me mon night and told me it definitly was Not the exhaust. This morning they put it on the lift and will begin an engine tearndown. I should be getting a call Wed as to exact issue. This has me really wondering what is wrong. The tech metiined it could be an issue with a rod or a bearing, but was making guesses. My thing is this...how in the world did this happen before I hit 300 miles! Lets just say I'm not looking forward to the rest of my ownership of this particular car. I c an only hope it is something simple that a guy on an assembly line missed. Still wont change the fact that it is now defective...you know, the whole magic of owning an awsome car. Guess I'll find out more tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkrind View Post
Well...i took it in on Monday morning and then had to go out of town work. They called me mon night and told me it definitly was Not the exhaust. This morning they put it on the lift and will begin an engine tearndown. I should be getting a call Wed as to exact issue. This has me really wondering what is wrong. The tech metiined it could be an issue with a rod or a bearing, but was making guesses. My thing is this...how in the world did this happen before I hit 300 miles! Lets just say I'm not looking forward to the rest of my ownership of this particular car. I c an only hope it is something simple that a guy on an assembly line missed. Still wont change the fact that it is now defective...you know, the whole magic of owning an awsome car. Guess I'll find out more tomorrow.
Had 100% same issue man! Entire motor had to be rebuilt because of a bad bearing. LMK if you want me to PM you with my situation if that helps at all. If your motor needs to be rebuilt don't plan on getting the car back for over a month.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
porkrind

Holy shit a month? Yeah PM me ....now I'm getting pissed!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
porkrind

Just got off the phone with the service manager. He has a cal in to his regional to get me a new engine. He says debris got into the #3 cylinder somehow. Caused a thrown rod, crank bearing failure and end cap damage to #s 2, 3, 5 cylinders. He said it is repairable, but I'll never trust it again. Jeff Morris, don't know if you could help on this, but I'd like a replacement engine. Dealership is ENTERPRISE CHEVROLET in Enterprise, AL. Al is the service manager there. Good guy...so far a good service experience. He is trying for a new engine, don't know if you can give it a push. Between me and darkness there may be a faulty part worth looking into. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
I may start a new thread on this as it is not exhaust related. Mods?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
porkrind

UPDATE-new engine approved! Should be in on Mon and installed/tested by Wed! So far...excellent service...crappy engine.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
UPDATE-new engine approved! Should be in on Mon and installed/tested by Wed! So far...excellent service...crappy engine.
I'm glad they're replacing the engine for you. I hope it doesn't ruin your Camaro experience, failures seem to be far and few between for the pace they're producing this car. I've had outstanding performance with mine and 23000 miles into ownership its been a blast every mile. Keep us posted!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #17
porkrind

Just so everybody knows. This Service department has been stellar. I'm actually on a business trip right now. I am due back home on Friday. Alan, the service manager, has already informed me to come by when I get in and they will have a rental car for me. He also told me to bring my wife with me and he'd pay for dinner! Granted, this type of failure should never have happened, but this service dept. has been quite pleasant to deal with...much to my surprise. Since I'm quite nervous about trusting my car now, at least I know where to take it when the next thing happens.

Big question is - How is the mileage tracked now? Having a replaced engine screws up the car value right?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
DjfunkmasterG
Indie Zombie Film King

Sorry I have been away from the thread... started a new job, and had some other life issues to deal with.

The vehicle did knock the next morning, but once warmed up, it went away. I drove it for the past few days, morning knock, once it is warm it clears up.

I am going to take it back in, since there is no SES light, and they can't get an error code they are kind of DUH about it.

This however, has resigned me to trading the car in for a 2012 Mustang GT. I had a Camaro back in the 80's, total POS, stayed with stangs for 20+ years. Tried one new Camaro, and running into turdsville.

Also have a driver side window issue again, where it gets a mind of its own and just starts going up and down, for no reason when you trigger the auto switch to put the window up.

I get a lot of compliments on the car, and I love the body lines, but two camaros 20+ years apart both with issues... I think that is just some one's way of saying.. not the car for you.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #19
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Wow maybe they learned their lesson after me, I got a rebuild....

Glad you are getting what you deserve unlike me. New Engine wont really de value the car at all, a rebuilt one however will.

Hopefully it doesnt take them too long to get you a new motor though.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
porkrind

UPDATE- Picked up the car this afternoon. Interesting thing happened...I swear the car is faster! As in I think the issue has always been there since I bought the car. The first time I heard the noise was the first time I had the stereo turned down and the A/C on low. I actually test drove a black 2LT, but bought the CGM so I never did a test drive in this vehicle. Lesson learned kids! The exhaust actually sounds a slight bit beefier. The service guys packed the old engine up and are sending it to Detroit for a tear down analysis. I'd love to hear what they find. I still think there may be a bad batch of crank piston bearings. TSB/Recall maybe?...I don't know. It could have just been one of those things which would fall squarely within the realms of my luck. If I have one more single issue with this motor; however, I will be filing for a lemon car. Probably should have done it right out the gate, but it technically fell under the warranty I signed for. I definitely am quite pissed it happened with under 300 miles on it. It does run better now so I guess I can't be too pissed since I didn't catch it before I bought it. Just a hard pill to swallow and left my ego quite bruised, but she's back home now and I'm back to pinching myself every time I see her!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #21
pablowest

Drives: 1996 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
Went to head out for smokes tonight got into the car and the used engines for sale suddenly started rattling upon start up.

Knock Knock Knock, but no service engine soon, light nothing. I let it idle thinking maybe it was just cold out... but it got louder and louder... shut the car down... calling Dealer tomorrow to have it towed in.
Yeah right. Who is your dealer for that engine?

Last edited by pablowest; 04-28-2011 at 07:28 PM.
pablowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #22
camaro125

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2ss/rs
I just had the same issue earlier this week.. The knocking noise sounded in sync with my with my RPM's.... The dealership is currently breaking the motor down and they said they would probably replace the motor. I had the car for about a year and I'm really curious to see what the problem is. It's been a week and I'm already itching to get it back but I may have to wait a month
camaro125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #23
porkrind

Well...i had my car back within 10 days with a new engine. I have not heard of any results from the tear-down analysis. Not holding my breath on that. I think there is an issue with the crank bearings, but that is just my observation. Replacement shouldn't take a month though. Maybe Jeff Morris can jump in here again. PM him. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
camaro125

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2ss/rs
Yeah we will see I called this morning and they are still tearing it out of the car. He said Monday they should be done with the analysis. I guess I'll post back when I get more info.. Thanks
camaro125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #25
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
Sorry I have been away from the thread... started a new job, and had some other life issues to deal with.

The vehicle did knock the next morning, but once warmed up, it went away. I drove it for the past few days, morning knock, once it is warm it clears up.

I am going to take it back in, since there is no SES light, and they can't get an error code they are kind of DUH about it.

This however, has resigned me to trading the car in for a 2012 Mustang GT. I had a Camaro back in the 80's, total POS, stayed with stangs for 20+ years. Tried one new Camaro, and running into turdsville.

Also have a driver side window issue again, where it gets a mind of its own and just starts going up and down, for no reason when you trigger the auto switch to put the window up.

I get a lot of compliments on the car, and I love the body lines, but two camaros 20+ years apart both with issues... I think that is just some one's way of saying.. not the car for you.
doesn't matter what brand you own, failure happens accross the board. But since you've personally had bad experiences w/ this particular brand, no surprise here. Wait and see if your new car holds up any better.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote