Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 06-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Wuiquen

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
headers gains?

Alright sooo I'm gonna be honest.. everyone said LT were one of the best mods and gains.. however, I dont feel it.. maybe I need to drive the car more or get the tune log to trifeca and see what's up.. but I honestly the car feels slower than before? Its like it takes longer for the powder to kick in.. like a lag on when I press the gas pedal and when it goes.. the power band seems more consistent but I dont feel impressed or happy with the power gains.. the things that changed from before were headers and cat back.. before I had 2.5 x pipe cat back and now I went back to stock minus stock mufflerz.. any ideas???
Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Are you sure you have no leaks

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Wuiquen

Havent checked.. I posted asking how to check and all I got was that soot will built over time if I have a leak..
Old 06-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Wuiquen

Also the car only been driven for 6 miles since installation and I unplug and the Bosch ecu while doing the installation for about two days?? Should I retune it?? Maybe I its relearning all mods.. I can't think k exhaust would change that much but next WK I'll get the x pipe and fix my exhaust.. I have to say that with the stock exhaust I get no pooping in the muffler like I used to before..
Old 06-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
Wuiquen

Anyone knows what else I can do to check for leaks??
Old 06-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #6
lscamaro

U have to give it at least 50 miles to relearn 100 is better but it needs to relearn for sure

Old 06-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
Wuiquen

Ahhh sorry I meant to write 60 miles.. lol.. by the way.. today my compass went crazy.. well tomorrow I will double check all the bolts and stuff and retighten.. maybe its just me.. idk I'm have concluded I'm the unluckiest man when it comes to moods.. trifeca didn't feel much.. now headers no much.. I mean rpms r flying thru the power band..
Old 06-23-2013, 03:25 AM   #8
lscamaro

The trifecta is no surprise. The headers on the other hand should have given decent gains

Old 06-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
Wuiquen

Well idk then.. I am pissed Cuz all that work and .mmmm.. what torq did u guys use for the bolts connecting the cats to the LT?? And the. For the clamps to the cat back?? I was reading and I guess soapy water can be spray to see if it bubbles.. imma try tom
Old 06-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
lscamaro

No idea what torque. We just tightened them until they "felt good"

Old 06-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #11
Wuiquen

Well I did the same.. just wanted to make sure... well idk.. I guess I should dyno the car and see where I am.. sucks I dont have a pretty dyno.. man I was so close to do it.. by the way, when datalog is created using trifecta, does the AFR gets recorded??? Any program I can buy or download to open and see those files?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
lscamaro

Nope, only trifecta can see those files I believe. Also, no they don't see far when u data log. To see afr you need a wideband which our cars don't have. If u want Vince to adjust afr, it's best to setup a date with him when he can do some remote tuning for u. Which is basically when u go to the dyno, use their wideband and make a run and datalog and send to him. He then adjusts the tune, sends back a revised one and u load it in. Then you make another run on the dyno. You do this until the tune is spot on and then you're done

Old 06-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Wuiquen

Ok.. so this morning coming home.. the car felt stronger and quicker.. it was 60 outside. Today I did feel some gains from the headers.. I wonder if maybe I was expecting too much and I did get gains but not to the level I was thinking.. the car pulled stronger and felt quicker.. also my exhaust situation doesn't help right now.. could it be that I did get gains but I just can't tell Cuz I was expecting too much..

Finally, I searched for soot and nothing around the flange on the top part.. will look at the bottom later.. I tried to listen to ticking noises but the engine has so many ticking that I can't tell..
Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
camguynj

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP Blue Ray Metallc
1) Look under the hood at nite. You'll see flashes if/where there's a header exhaust leak.
or
2) Spray soapy water on the header, you'll see bubbles if/where there's a header exhaust leask.
or
3) Get a 3' hose. Put one end on top of each header port and the other end to you ear, you'll hear if/where there's a leak

The "ticking" your hearing is the stainless steel valve train harmonics ... it's the sound of performance. The stock cast iron manifolds suppress the sound. Check this forum link http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301918
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
.. I have to say that with the stock exhaust I get no pooping in the muffler like I used to before..
LOL- glad to hear that!

Best explaination for how small header leaks sound to me is "fluffy farts"!

Find a stretch of road with a wall or other stationary obstruction that will bounce the sound right back as you drive by kinda slow with windows down when you suspect a leak.

No "farts" or more obvious leak sounds and you're good to go!

I usually tighten my exhaust clamps (the wider ones) to 35lb/ft with good results but I've seen specs as high as 70lb/ft for those narrow C-clamps that have to deform the pipe to work.
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS IBM M6
If you already had mods then you may not have felt such an increase that you expected. Just because you take "part A" that advertises 20 hp gain and "part B" that advertises 20 hp gain doesn't mean you will gain 40 hp total. Mods support other mods. Also the header gains are probably there, it's just a smoother power than before. As far as leaks go, you can usually hear an exhaust leak. If it sounds like an old VW on startup, you probably have a leak.
2011 IBM M6 Built 06/17/2010 Injen CAI,Black Ice-olator, Barton shifter, BBK LT's, DSS aluminum driveshaft, VMAX TB, RX Intake Manifold/Catch-can/Breather, Corsa catback, 18" MSR 045's, Nitto NT555's, FE3 SS springs and sways, Trifecta Tuning. Best ET so far in the 1/8th 9.301
Born on the Island and raised in the sand.
Semper Fidelis
VEESIKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEESIKS View Post
If you already had mods then you may not have felt such an increase that you expected. Just because you take "part A" that advertises 20 hp gain and "part B" that advertises 20 hp gain doesn't mean you will gain 40 hp total. Mods support other mods. Also the header gains are probably there, it's just a smoother power than before. As far as leaks go, you can usually hear an exhaust leak. If it sounds like an old VW on startup, you probably have a leak.
This probably my issue. I knew about the mods not having the stated power increase so I am guessing ppl that do headers first might get a big improvement compared to almost all modded.. well I'll give it more time.. this WK imma make some videos ..
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
jewel25
She's all mine!!!!

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Maybe you are like me. They only time I felt a gain with my car was when I installed my Roto-Fab, but that went away quickly.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
Wuiquen

Probably.. I'm crazy in the cabezaa.. idk I guess give it more time and see what happens..
Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
Wuiquen

i guess dyno will tell the story right? i am looking to get it her dyno soon.. but I have less than a month
Old 06-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
jewel25
She's all mine!!!!

Do you have a base dyno?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #22
Wuiquen

not really. i just meant like see where i stand
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #23
jewel25
She's all mine!!!!

Quote:
Like me you might be disappointed.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #24
lscamaro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel25 View Post
Like me you might be disappointed.
You guys have to remember there are so many variables when it comes to dynos that I just don't trust them as a measure of power output. Dynos are just tools used to see gains from one mod to the next and for tuning. You want to know just how much power your car is putting down, go to the drag strip. That doesn't lie. Dynos come in different flavors with some reading really high and others reading really low

Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
jewel25
She's all mine!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
You guys have to remember there are so many variables when it comes to dynos that I just don't trust them as a measure of power output. Dynos are just tools used to see gains from one mod to the next and for tuning. You want to know just how much power your car is putting down, go to the drag strip. That doesn't lie. Dynos come in different flavors with some reading really high and others reading really low

unless the driver sucks too.

Just letting him now that he might be disappointed because dynos sometimes just suck.