Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Another "test drove a challenger" thread and a price

So after all the talk of "introductory pricing" on the Camaro I decided to give the Challenger another look.

I went by the local Dodge dealership to see what they had. They were loaded UP with Challengers. All kinds of colors, options, a couple of SRT8s etc. After looking at one for 5 minutes the sales man asks if I wanna drive one. Sure I say, let's take out a 6 speed manual.

Off we go. Loaded up R/T with every bell and whistle you can get. I liked the way it drove, smooth ride, plenty powerful for me, nice exhaust note. I love that V8 rumble and the push button start was pretty cool. Dash was nice, interior felt solid. I didn't notice it being as big and heavy as a lot of folks have claimed, but then again I'm used to a 4Runner so go figure. What I did notice right away was the massive amounts of torque available in any gear but 6th. Half the time I wasn't sure if I was in 3rd or 5th. Hitting 100MPH happened pretty quick on the hwy as well. Sales man wide eyed and all.

Went back with my girlfriend after work to show her since she's a car nut as well. After she crawled around it for a few minutes they tell us to take it for another spin so I actually got to drive it twice hahha. All in all pretty fun.

Now the kicker....the price on these things are nuts. For this fully loaded R/T and I mean everything from Boston Acoustic sound to 6 speed manual transmission, to chrome 20 wheels, to every electronic gadget known to man and a nice sun roof that GOES INSIDE THE ROOF the price is $33,394. MSRP is $38,265. That's EP price of $34,394 and another $1000 off if I finance with Chrysler at 0% for 48 months.

This might be too hard to pass up.

We're thinking it over. We have until March 2nd before the deals end. I've been shopping around lately from Camaro to a used Z06 to a Challenger.

I'm not looking for an all out race car. I just want something cool that cruises well that we can drive on the weekends for lunch or something and have a little fun with here and there. So the Z06 is out. It's down to the Camaro and the Challenger. However with all the BS going on with Camaros from ABL, to CGM, and now the latest pricing debacle I'm getting pretty frusturated.

Gonna sleep on it a couple days. Sure was fun test driving them though.

OH, on a funny note the dumb ass Dodge salesman tried to tell me the Camaro wasn't going to be out until 2012. He said his Dad retired from the Corvette line and had told him not to look for Camaros anytime soon. I just chuckled and let him go on.

He then proceeds to tell me that for $4200 their dealership will install a Vortech Supercharger on my 2009 R/T taking it close to 500HP and will keep the 100K power train warranty. I'm gonna call the parts department about that tomorrow to confirm.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
So after all the talk of "introductory pricing" on the Camaro I decided to give the Challenger another look.

I went by the local Dodge dealership to see what they had. They were loaded UP with Challengers. All kinds of colors, options, a couple of SRT8s etc. After looking at one for 5 minutes the sales man asks if I wanna drive one. Sure I say, let's take out a 6 speed manual.

Off we go. Loaded up R/T with every bell and whistle you can get. I liked the way it drove, smooth ride, plenty powerful for me, nice exhaust note. I love that V8 rumble and the push button start was pretty cool. Dash was nice, interior felt solid. I didn't notice it being as big and heavy as a lot of folks have claimed, but then again I'm used to a 4Runner so go figure. What I did notice right away was the massive amounts of torque available in any gear but 6th. Half the time I wasn't sure if I was in 3rd or 5th. Hitting 100MPH happened pretty quick on the hwy as well. Sales man wide eyed and all.

Went back with my girlfriend after work to show her since she's a car nut as well. After she crawled around it for a few minutes they tell us to take it for another spin so I actually got to drive it twice hahha. All in all pretty fun.

Now the kicker....the price on these things are nuts. For this fully loaded R/T and I mean everything from Boston Acoustic sound to 6 speed manual transmission, to chrome 20 wheels, to every electronic gadget known to man and a nice sun roof that GOES INSIDE THE ROOF the price is $33,394. MSRP is $38,265. That's EP price of $34,394 and another $1000 off if I finance with Chrysler at 0% for 48 months.

We're thinking it over. We have until March 2nd before the deals end. I've been shopping around lately from Camaro to a used Z06 to a Challenger.

I'm not looking for an all out race car. I just want something cool that cruises well that we can drive on the weekends for lunch or something and have a little fun with here and there. So the Z06 is out. It's down to the Camaro and the Challenger. However with all the BS going on with Camaros from ABL, to CGM, and now the latest pricing debacle I'm getting pretty frusturated.

OH, on a funny note the dumb ass Dodge salesman tried to tell me the Camaro wasn't going to be out until 2012. He said his Dad retired from the Corvette line and had told him not to look for Camaros anytime soon. I just chuckled and let him go on.

He then proceeds to tell me that for $4200 their dealership will install a Vortech Supercharger on my 2009 R/T taking it close to 500HP and will keep the 100K power train warranty. I'm gonna call the parts department about that tomorrow to confirm.
Really, do tell more .....

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
TStko
TKO

Drives: you crazy...
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. I love the Camaro but that Challenger is a beast. I drove it a couple months ago I love that big wide stance and that rear tail light. I'd sleep on it too because a fully equipped SS is gonna cost more than that & I'm toying with the idea of that 0% financing which = more car/less payment. Make sure you post a pic if you get it. Good luck dude.

cars are like women, some are old, some are new, some get turned on easily some need a lot more help, some you just wanna drive into the river, some you can't wait to get inside of, some are expensive to maintain, some are low maintenance, however if you treat them right, you'll have her for the rest of your life.....
TStko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Regardless of the deal, a DODGE will be worth squat in a few years. They hold NO value, so you better buy it CHEAP! Latest pricing debacle?? Whats that?
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Regardless of the deal, a DODGE will be worth squat in a few years. They hold NO value, so you better buy it CHEAP! Latest pricing debacle?? Whats that?
Your not serious are you, a ment condition 1970 Dodge Challenger well run you $100,000+ bigtime, imagine 30-40 years from how much a RT/SRT8 will run ... and they are about to get canned in the next two years

can't be serious

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
lol @ chrome wheels... you mean the plastic chrome cover on the wheels ?

Eh.. challenger was good for 1 year.. 1970... I don't like the new ones too much but its not a bad lil car to have. (well not lil but more like heavy..)
Old 02-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:

sounds like a good deal/value, and that's one classy car!
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Yeah man, that is a great deal. There's a similar one over at Dadeland Dodge in orange with that kinda price cut, but I'm still holding out. The salesmen was trying to get me to buy it since he knows how much I could put down. "You'd be financing a Civic!" were his exact words. I still wanna hold out for the Camaro, but I made a vow - if Chrysler whips out a sale like this again and I still don't have the Camaro, then I am going to go for it. At that point I'd just take it as a sign from above.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
And think, in about a year you'll see these type of deals on the Camaro.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Challenger R/T is off the program for me. Cant have a car slower than my moms.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
lol @ chrome wheels... you mean the plastic chrome cover on the wheels ?
Most of the manufactures are doing this now including GM, actually have to really look to tell they are covers.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Do you know the difference in ranking in residual value between Dodge and Chevrolet (you can throw Ford in there too)? It's like fighting over who's turd has a better polish
Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Challenger R/T is off the program for me. Cant have a car slower than my moms.
lol what does your mom drive?
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
And think, in about a year you'll see these type of deals on the Camaro.
I don't know if that would be a good thing.