Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Cyberfan
 
Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 195
Camaro to survive GM plan

Looks like the Camaro, along with the Corvette and the other Chevy brands will survive per the GM plan submitted to the government. Hummer, Saturn, Saab and maybe even Pontiac are toast. But if you think there will be a mega-horsepower Z-28 any time soon you are dreaming! This is a matter of GM surviving, man! If the General thought the Camaro (or any other car) was a money loser, it would get the axe in a New York second!

Everybody I talk to (NOT people on this forum) that has seen a picture of this car thinks GM has hit a home run on this one. May not put the Mustang out of business, but I think this inexpensive car will help the General recover!

Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,812
Yeah but the high performance vehicles division is toast. So guess how many exciting vehicles GM will have in the future. Zip. None. Nothing. The Camaro could very well be my last GM car.
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
Super83Z
 
Super83Z's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: City of Champions,MA
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Yeah but the high performance vehicles division is toast. So guess how many exciting vehicles GM will have in the future. Zip. None. Nothing. The Camaro could very well be my last GM car.

SVT disbanded years ago. Look at what FORD has without SVT. This is probably more just to look good for Uncle Sam.
__________________
Current cars:
99 Z28
06 Silverado
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Cyberfan
 
Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Yeah but the high performance vehicles division is toast. So guess how many exciting vehicles GM will have in the future. Zip. None. Nothing. The Camaro could very well be my last GM car.
Of course, these days GM doesn't care about how high performance it is- it just wants to survive. The high performance stuff has never been the major money maker for any car maker west of Italy. Not music to the ears of people on this forum I know.

We may be in for a repeat of the 70's, when everything started being detuned after 1971- the good muscle cars were 71's and older! So get your 71 Hemicuda or 71 LS6 Corvette while you can! (SS Camaro!)

But eventually it came back!
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Rob53

 
Rob53's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS VR Camaro convertible
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fresno, Ca.
Posts: 755
Last GM muscle car?

........All the more reason to buy the Camaro and hold on to it! If the auto industry is going in the direction that it is headed, "green" and cookie cutter models with no style, than our Camaros will probably be the last of the Mohicans! How cool will it be to own the last, and best generation of Camaro? I see a future where buying a V8 will incur a very, very costly tax, like the current gas guzzler tax, but much more severe. It will virtually kill the average Joe buying a V8 automobile. V8 engines will probably one day only be available to the very rich, and to those using them for business purposes, in trucks, like farmers/ranchers etc. Life in these here United States is over as we once knew and loved it folks. The "green" people are in charge now. Just look at California that wants to raise our taxes to unheard of levels, double vehicle registration fees just to balance the budget. When all California has to do is drill for oil off shore and it has access to billions of dollars of crude oil!!!!!! The government won't even consider it, they would rather tax the people than drill for oil! Revolution is coming, sooner or later we have to get rid of these clowns!
Rob53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
Silver Streak

 
Silver Streak's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Smyrna Bch. Florida
Posts: 1,449
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Yeah but the high performance vehicles division is toast. So guess how many exciting vehicles GM will have in the future. Zip. None. Nothing. The Camaro could very well be my last GM car.
Not toast! Put on hold. When and if the economy turns around, every thing changes!
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
Cyberfan
 
Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob53 View Post
........All the more reason to buy the Camaro and hold on to it! If the auto industry is going in the direction that it is headed, "green" and cookie cutter models with no style, than our Camaros will probably be the last of the Mohicans! How cool will it be to own the last, and best generation of Camaro? I see a future where buying a V8 will incur a very, very costly tax, like the current gas guzzler tax, but much more severe. It will virtually kill the average Joe buying a V8 automobile. V8 engines will probably one day only be available to the very rich, and to those using them for business purposes, in trucks, like farmers/ranchers etc. Life in these here United States is over as we once knew and loved it folks. The "green" people are in charge now. Just look at California that wants to raise our taxes to unheard of levels, double vehicle registration fees just to balance the budget. When all California has to do is drill for oil off shore and it has access to billions of dollars of crude oil!!!!!! The government won't even consider it, they would rather tax the people than drill for oil! Revolution is coming, sooner or later we have to get rid of these clowns!
That's kind of how I think cars of the 1980's were. Even the Corvettes were slow and kind of stupid!

In a perfect world..... there are electric cars and efficient hybrids that get a zillion miles to the gallon and the Persian Gulf countries have to go back to fishing and pearl diving. BUT there are still performance cars and the auto makers balance the gas guzzlers and the electrics to get a happy medium and pass the CAFE standards. America can supply its own oil needs without imports (look at Brazil!).

Wishful thinking? Yeah, probably.

Maybe my 02 Firebird will be a collector car.
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Black5thgen
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2007 C6
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,252
Everybody acts like there will never be another high performance GM. These hard times will eventually pass and GM will be in the black again with the G paid off. It may take 5 years or more but there will be future performance, not right away but down the road. It's not the end of the world by any means. The current SS can survive for 5 years with minor tweaks before it needs a major boost.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
fad1

 
fad1's Avatar
 
Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles California
Posts: 1,108
This is only the time during the GM turmoil. Once GM gets back on its feet and becomes more successful than it ever did (hopefully) they'll bring the big V8 guns and special racing development stuff back on the table. Just be thankful the Camaro nameplate is coming back.
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #10
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfan View Post
We may be in for a repeat of the 70's, when everything started being detuned after 1971- the good muscle cars were 71's and older! So get your 71 Hemicuda or 71 LS6 Corvette while you can! (SS Camaro!)

But eventually it came back!
Yup. My friend owned a '74 Malibu, and when I got my '70 Cutlass he went on about how the 70s era models were dogs, how his was slow, and so on. Apparently he didn't know the detuning affected '72 and later models. I consider 1970 the pinnacle of the GM A body, but the '69 was good too.
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M
 
OUR72GTO's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kamloops,British Columbia
Posts: 4,632
Ya some green guys will pass a law where you cannot sell your used V8. Hand it down to family or crush it.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,714
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Right but we need to find some way to
Warm this planet back up. This cooling is starting to scare me.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
albino
 
Drives: Crossfire
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfan View Post
Looks like the Camaro, along with the Corvette and the other Chevy brands will survive per the GM plan submitted to the government. Hummer, Saturn, Saab and maybe even Pontiac are toast. But if you think there will be a mega-horsepower Z-28 any time soon you are dreaming! This is a matter of GM surviving, man! If the General thought the Camaro (or any other car) was a money loser, it would get the axe in a New York second!
Hi there, nice material.
Where do you have those Infos from?

In Germany we just get Infos about Opel

Cheers
albino from Germany
__________________
albino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
jmcbeth
THR 2SS/RS Supercharged
 
Drives: 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 468
GM is doing what it needs to do to survive. I applaud them. In my view, the more "green" vehicles sold, the more gasoline for us, who represent a very, very small part of the market.
jmcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CAMARO WIKI Tran Wiki 54 02-06-2016 11:33 AM
The new Camaro V6 might be the best model of the entire lineup! Mr. Wyndham 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 101 12-21-2010 07:48 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM
Not Good, GM wants another 16 or is it 9 Billion to Survive. Scott@Bjorn3D General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 226 02-20-2009 04:13 PM
4 SEMA CAMAROS finally unveiled by GM! (hi-res images & details) FenwickHockey65 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 237 11-03-2008 10:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.