Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #101
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I'm getting ready to buy the lights and plate to do this mod. Do the LEDs on the Oznium website come with enough wire to tap into the yellow wire under the traction control button or do I need to order some extra?

Thanks for posting this mod. It looks great.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #102
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
The surface mounts do. I did mine this weekend and the leads on each LED are ~36".

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Last edited by Yellow_Glide; 07-17-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: mispelled word....
Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #103
Darth_Emma

Thanks. I'll order them today.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #104
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
length is just right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Thanks. I'll order them today.
The wire length is just right.Enough to reach the connection point and enough to tuck up behind the carpet.
Finished mine last night and I tell you it looks super.I did follow the other guys suggestion and attached the LEDs to the bottom of the plate facing down to allow the light to stay in the cup well and not radiate all around the outside the well.Also used two small tabs of Velcro on the bottom front of the plate and also on the bottom of the front of the well.Works perfectly.Pretty easy install except if you have big fingers like me.Tight fit t-tapping the yellow and black wire in the traction control area.Other than that-piece of cake.Install and enjoy.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #105
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Actually the ABL wire is Purple and Black. The Yellow and Black is the instrument panel lighting.

The difference being that ABL can be shut off when the lighting is dimmed to its lowest level. The Instrument panel can't.

The Traction control switch is a good spot for the yellow/black IP lighting. If you want the feature lighting, you'll want to go under the passenger kick panel, and tap the purple wire there.
Does anybody have a photo of exactly where this ABL wire is under the passenger kick panel? I don't want to tap the wrong wire.

Also, do those of you who tapped the yellow instrument panel lighting find the cup holder lights to be too bright when driving at night. This seems easier than tapping the ABL lighting, but I don't want the light to be too bright when driving at night.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #106
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Its a large 54 pin connecter on the side of the body under the cover and you need pin 32 its the power to your door panels.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #107
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Its a large 54 pin connecter on the side of the body under the cover and you need pin 32 its the power to your door panels.
Thanks Ofer. Will a red t-tap work for this wire?

I looked at some pictures and it looks like there is more than one purple wire in the bundle under the passenger kick panel. I just want tap the correct one.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #108
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Yes it will work, on this connecter there are 2 purple wire one for ABL and one for "convertible top open switch" (But you dont have a convertible so it want be there).
Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #109
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Yes it will work, on this connecter there are 2 purple wire one for ABL and one for "convertible top open switch" (But you dont have a convertible so it want be there).
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #110
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Anyway! You Will Surely Love It

Quote:
Does anybody have a photo of exactly where this ABL wire is under the passenger kick panel? I don't want to tap the wrong wire.

Also, do those of you who tapped the yellow instrument panel lighting find the cup holder lights to be too bright when driving at night. This seems easier than tapping the ABL lighting, but I don't want the light to be too bright when driving at night.

Thanks.
I tapped the traction control light switch and with the LEDS installed on the bottom side of the plate you have a real soothing light source.Not too bright (just right) and the light will not scatter beyond the cup holder.
Another upside is the cup holder light comes on at dark and turns off during daylight,on when you open the door at night.The light does not radiate beyond the cup holder wells thru the edges of the plate like some pics appear that are hooked too the dash abl that appear to be on the too bright side with the light scattered out of the surrounding edges of the plate.But to each his own.Try one way and not much labor to do it the other way if you don't like it the first way.
Anyway you do it you are sure to like it. I love mine !!!!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #111
chozn4service
Five-O

Drives: 2011 2SSRS RJT
I got this mod done today. Took about 15min's to do. I must say I got the plate of Ebay as suggested and I did the 'Make An Offer' route and got the plate total with ship for $56.94. Oznium.com is where I get all my LEDs from anyway so nothing new there.

Anyway, this is a great mod and one I've been wanting to have for some time now. I also took some velcro and placed it at the front corners and rear so the plate would have some way of being fixed and locked in place and no worries of it rattling. I have a thing about noises, squeaks and rattles. LOL

Also I like how these also come on with the courtesy lights and fade to black but are on with the lights. The tap into the Traction Control is a great place and and keeps it all tight and concealed in one spot.

Thanks again for the info on this mod! Darth Emma, I apologize for not getting around to seeing you on Saturday! I saw you coming into the lot when I was directing your group in but with trying to oversee it all, keeping the peace and making sure most were happy with what we were trying to do, I just couldn't keep up. I ended up suffering from heat exhaustion after everyone had pulled out heading to Hooter's. I was the last man standing at the Kohls lot and getting cars back to the dealership etc.... maybe next time.
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #112
FSUCamaro

Drives: 2011 Summit White LS
For everyone who wants a colored cup holder, here is a site, its a little more $ and a little different style, but it should still work, and comes in all colors...

Im hoping to get white to match my white interior trim

http://westcoastcamaro.com/p-684-201...m-painted.aspx

MY Build: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160486
FSUCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #113
PCOLASHAN

Drives: 2SS
Only bad thing with this cup holder is that the LED's would be exposed if you hook it up like I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUCamaro View Post
For everyone who wants a colored cup holder, here is a site, its a little more $ and a little different style, but it should still work, and comes in all colors...

Im hoping to get white to match my white interior trim

http://westcoastcamaro.com/p-684-201...m-painted.aspx
PCOLASHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #114
PCOLASHAN

You are spot on!!! The pictures make it look like the light scatters, but it does not. I found it to be the same if the LEDs are mounted to the cup holder or the plate. I like mine on the cup holder, so no one accidently pulls my lights out if the plate were to be pulled out. It's just a matter of choice, tapping the traction control light switch is the way to go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy56 View Post
I tapped the traction control light switch and with the LEDS installed on the bottom side of the plate you have a real soothing light source.Not too bright (just right) and the light will not scatter beyond the cup holder.
Another upside is the cup holder light comes on at dark and turns off during daylight,on when you open the door at night.The light does not radiate beyond the cup holder wells thru the edges of the plate like some pics appear that are hooked too the dash abl that appear to be on the too bright side with the light scattered out of the surrounding edges of the plate.But to each his own.Try one way and not much labor to do it the other way if you don't like it the first way.
Anyway you do it you are sure to like it. I love mine !!!!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #115
01pewterz28
Camaro Junkie

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS,Born 9/14/09 @ 11:50:57
Finally got around to doing mine last weekend our club had a project day and two guys from our club did the install great mod I added a switch to the center console (drivers side) so I can turn the light on and off at car shows.

Sean
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #116
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Finally got around to doing mine last weekend our club had a project day and two guys from our club did the install great mod I added a switch to the center console (drivers side) so I can turn the light on and off at car shows.

Sean
Where did you tap in for power? You have it on an "always on" circuit right? (or at least on when the car is running.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #117
01pewterz28
Camaro Junkie

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS,Born 9/14/09 @ 11:50:57
Quote:
Where did you tap in for power? You have it on an "always on" circuit right? (or at least on when the car is running.
Nope we tapped into the positive terminal by the fuse box we ran a wire from the console up the dash into the firewall from the factory there is a hole in the firewall for this I then tapped into a ground so I can turn the light on and off when I want.

Sean
Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #118
Blue10CamaroSS
454 RWHP 448 TQ

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
Before I got the Camaro I had a Colorado and I took out the stock console and custom built my own, just so I can have my own LED cup holders. Definitely going to have to get around to this once I get a chance but here is what I did with my Colorado:

First I added a toggle switch:

Ran a fused wire from the battery:

Positive and negative wires run under the carpetting:

In case I had to remove the console for whatever reason, I made some connector wires so the whole thing is not completely hard wired to the truck:

The internal wiring for the cup holders to the switch:

VOILA!!! We has power:

Old 08-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #119
Darth_Emma

I got my cup holder lighting installed today. Thanks to all, especailly PCOLOSHAN, for all the help. I love it.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #120
PCOLASHAN

Awesome!!!!! Love it, so glad I could help!!

Quote:
I got my cup holder lighting installed today. Thanks to all, especailly PCOLOSHAN, for all the help. I love it.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #121
SLO RYDE
SLO RYDE

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS 400hp+ / K&N CAI./
Awesome,
I have to do this very very soon.
Looks like one of the easiest DIY installs.
2011 2SS/RS IOM. / K&N CAI./ V Max Throtle Body / Pypes Headers & Pype Bomb exhaust. / Texas Speed 231/236 112 Ls3 cam/ RX Catch Can/ SLP Under Drive Pulley/ American Racing Torque M Wheels painted. / CBD Rear Wing, SunCoast Creations Bumbble Bee Hood, Heritage Grill/ SLP "SS" Badges and tuned by "TampaTuning.com" & Next Level Performance
SLO RYDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #122
PCOLASHAN

It is very easy! There are companies out there trying to sell this pre-made setup, which is a shame since its soooo easy to buy what you need and DIY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO RYDE View Post
Awesome,
Old 08-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #123
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO RYDE View Post
Awesome,
Very simple mod, did is a few week back. Here are a couple of my pics:

Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #124
PCOLASHAN

Looks great, good job!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Very simple mod, did is a few week back. Here are a couple of my pics:

Old 08-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #125
rydahog

Drives: 2012 SS 45th..Auto
just my opinion...but red with blue foot wells....:( cup holders need to be blue also..
but thats me...
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote