Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #137
Neffarious

Drives: 2012 SS (2SS/RS, M6, IOM/Blk Rally)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I may have found a way to do the ABL color for the cup holder. I am going to try it this weekend and post if it comes of successfully.
Bumb, cuz I would like to know if you found anything. I want to be 100% on my color choice. Nothing sucks more than being color blind and getting told later "Hay man, that aqua blue is actually green." (true story)

In your next picture post, DIY guide, or advertisement thread take a moment and think of the color blind guy. Thanks.
Neffarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #138
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via AIM to tomlink Send a message via MSN to tomlink Send a message via Yahoo to tomlink Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
I spent a good two weeks doing lighting mods including the dash ABL and cupholder with blue LEDs and invited the wifey to check it and her first remark is that they were the wrong color!

I went back to GM Parts House and got the LEDs from them that were the exact color. Lots more money, but highly recommended. Look for the ABL LEDs. I took them apart to fit wherever I needed em.

Check the ABL thread for part numbers:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130521
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:08 AM   #139
murderedoutmaro

Drives: 2011 inferno orange camaro rs
where can i get these leds?
murderedoutmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #140
Ein17

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS (VR)
curious if anyone has or would know a cheap and easy way to install a pressure switch type of deal in the bottom of the cup holders so that it will only light up when you set something in it? Also anyone know of a lighting option for around the 4 pack cluster that wont have a bad glare or be too bright it over shadows the gauges?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #141
usranger80

Drives: 2011 1LT "Bumblebee"
Am I wrong, but if I got two of the Oznium RGB surface mount LEDs and one of the RGB controllers in the below link could I "dial" my cup holder LEDs to match the Aqua Blue footwell lights?

http://www.oznium.com/rotary-rgb-controller

Should be able to hide the switch somewhere and jsut set it and leave it. Seems like the cheapest option I can find right now to get matching lights.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #142
usranger80

anyone able to chime in, I am not an expert on lighting, but I think this should work, anyone tried something like this yet?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #143
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger80 View Post
anyone able to chime in, I am not an expert on lighting, but I think this should work, anyone tried something like this yet?
Yes you can do that. If you get the million color controller you just have to find the right color and you are set.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #144
usranger80

great, stuff is ordered from oznium and amazon(since the the controller is on back order), will post pics when the install is done.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #145
usranger80

Install is done with the RGB lights and controller I was able to adjust the light to match the factory ABL color. Wired the controller to the traction control yellow and black wires and wired the lights to the controller, spin the dial and I am good. The controller is kind of big and is currently mounted in the center console, may look for a smaller alternative at some point but that was the cheapest option. Pics to follow.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #146
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Install is done with the RGB lights and controller I was able to adjust the light to match the factory ABL color. Wired the controller to the traction control yellow and black wires and wired the lights to the controller, spin the dial and I am good. The controller is kind of big and is currently mounted in the center console, may look for a smaller alternative at some point but that was the cheapest option. Pics to follow.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #147
usranger80

OK so like we all know it is hard to get good pics with a cell phone in low light, but here is the lights dialed to as close to the factory ABL as my eye can tell...although in the pics they look more blue. I mounted the lights on the bottom side of the plate to get more of an accent lighting look, I didn't want them to bright. I threw the water bottle in there for effect.

Also the wires need to be cleaned up in the center console, there are two little holes under the rubber mat that I ran the wires through, but again I think at some point I may upgrade the controller to something smaller with a remote. This one works just fine for now though and I can change the LED colors to whatever I want with just a turn of the knobs.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #148
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
OK so like we all know it is hard to get good pics with a cell phone in low light, but here is the lights dialed to as close to the factory ABL as my eye can tell...although in the pics they look more blue. I mounted the lights on the bottom side of the plate to get more of an accent lighting look, I didn't want them to bright. I threw the water bottle in there for effect.

Also the wires need to be cleaned up in the center console, there are two little holes under the rubber mat that I ran the wires through, but again I think at some point I may upgrade the controller to something smaller with a remote. This one works just fine for now though and I can change the LED colors to whatever I want with just a turn of the knobs.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #149
Breesy

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT
Added my cupholder LEDs today. I think it looks good. Followed the instructions in the first post....really easy.
Attached Images

Breesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #150
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
^^^^^^^
Looks good! What cup-holder plate are you using?
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #151
Breesy

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdapilmoto View Post
^^^^^^^
Looks good! What cup-holder plate are you using?
Thanks! I got my plate on ebay from here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-Chrome-Cup-Holder-Insert-2010-/320741172694?pt=Motrs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories& hash=item4aada9e5d6&vxp=mtr

The Ebay store is called hitechcustom
Breesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #152
r84boomer

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS
I am just trying to be sure I have this figured out correctly.
1) would need 2 surface mount led? (1 for each side of cupholder mounted in the middle)
2) I do not want the cover plate so the led and wires would be exposed?
3) would the led be wired together from vendor or would you have to tap into power source twice, once for each led?
4) best place for power is traction control and this will auto turn on at night and stay on until car is turned off?
5) would these led also be able to be mounted under dash for footwell lighting and if so how many for each side and what power source for 2012 1lt/rs?
r84boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #153
chozn4service
Five-O

Drives: 2011 2SSRS A6 RJT
1. I used 2 LEDs, 1 on each side
2. Then you need to figure how and where you want to put the LEDs and conceal your wiring. My wires are hidden bu the cover conceals the LEDs.
3. The LEDs will have a red and black wire for ea LED. You can wire them together so there will be but only one power source and one single ground.
4. Traction control as stated in previous post is a great source for this mod.
5. I used like or similar LEDs under the dash for my footwell lighting, one per side and since I don't have a 2012 but a 2010, I tapped into my courtesy lights so they come on when the doors open and then fade to black as do the other lights.
I too have a 1LT/RS.