Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
LSR Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #276
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,485
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Same here I live in the foothills so there are a lot of steep driveways around here...
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #277
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,568
Watch, all of us will finally fork out that ass ton of money to get the bumper perfect, and they'll all be smashed just from regular use. Hahaha. Ugh, I hope not.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #278
TRC-SS
TIM "COTW 2-25-13"
 
TRC-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SuperCharged 567RWHP SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Shrewsbury Massachusetts
Posts: 4,597
This is how close my current bumper comes to scraping the driveway, Cant wait to see how close i will be with this new one!!

__________________
View Build HERE>>>>>MY 2011 2SS/RS JOURNAL
TRC-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #279
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,568
Ugh oh, it'll definitely be lower, ha-ha.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #280
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13
 
Behic2320's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS Supercharged LS3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Deeeeeago
Posts: 2,278
You two really need to stop I already have my bumper and I want to lower my car and you guys are scaring the shit out of me haha now I don't want to do it
__________________
Behic2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #281
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,568
Haha, trust me, the bumper will live a longer life when the car isn't lowered. As my sits with my current splitter, I can barelyyyyy clear speed bumps (some but not all), and many driveways I can't get up. That's literally as real as it gets. It drives me up the wall, but I knew what I was getting myself into when I lowered the car.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #282
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,485
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Watch, all of us will finally fork out that ass ton of money to get the bumper perfect, and they'll all be smashed just from regular use. Hahaha. Ugh, I hope not.
Taylor hit a incline pretty bad and it bent his fender... Crazy!
Also I am getting a clear bra put on mine... my bumper is thrashed after I had the holes filled and chin spoiler put on... I don't want to have to get this bumper painted more than once if I don't have to.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #283
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Taylor hit a incline pretty bad and it bent his fender... Crazy!
Also I am getting a clear bra put on mine... my bumper is thrashed after I had the holes filled and chin spoiler put on... I don't want to have to get this bumper painted more than once if I don't have to.
I totally agree! I'll likely get clear wrap to protect it as well. It would be horrible to pay all this money for it and it turn to shit just from regular driving.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #284
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13
 
Behic2320's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS Supercharged LS3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Deeeeeago
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
I totally agree! I'll likely get clear wrap to protect it as well. It would be horrible to pay all this money for it and it turn to shit just from regular driving.
I was going to do this exactly the same thing so here's my problem, I can't put that over the matte parts because it makes the paint look shiny
__________________
Behic2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #285
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,485
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behic2320 View Post
I was going to do this exactly the same thing so here's my problem, I can't put that over the matte parts because it makes the paint look shiny
Yeah, but the matte parts should be easier to patch yourself maybe? I wonder if there is a matte clear vinyl.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #286
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13
 
Behic2320's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS Supercharged LS3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Deeeeeago
Posts: 2,278
There isn't a clear one I called about 8 to 10 different shops they recommended just wrapping it in those parts in matte black vinyl but they all wanted to charge around 1000 to do it I got it painted for 250 hahaha
__________________
Behic2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #287
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,485
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behic2320 View Post
There isn't a clear one I called about 8 to 10 different shops they recommended just wrapping it in those parts in matte black vinyl but they all wanted to charge around 1000 to do it I got it painted for 250 hahaha
WOW, just live it open then, it's easier to repaid than gloss because it's a smaller area and has a different clear-coat over it. so it's easy enough to tape off and redo. Or you can plastidip it yourself.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #288
TRC-SS
TIM "COTW 2-25-13"
 
TRC-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SuperCharged 567RWHP SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Shrewsbury Massachusetts
Posts: 4,597
Hijacking and Getting off topic in my build thread
__________________
View Build HERE>>>>>MY 2011 2SS/RS JOURNAL
TRC-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #289
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,485
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Hijacking and Getting off topic in my build thread
TCAT Did it!!

Sorry Tim, we got all caught up in the excitement of your car being finished soon.
Yeah, that's it.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #290
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13
 
Behic2320's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS Supercharged LS3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Deeeeeago
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
TCAT Did it!!

Sorry Tim, we got all caught up in the excitement of your car being finished soon.
Yeah, that's it.
Yea what he said ^^^^^^ haha sorry boss man
__________________
Behic2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #291
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,568
Hahahaha, damn, how did I just get shit on. LOL
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #292
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13
 
Behic2320's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS Supercharged LS3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Deeeeeago
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Hahahaha, damn, how did I just get shit on. LOL
Because you were the last one to run out from under the bus so we left you thereoh great were off topic again haha when is that badass bumper going to be part of that mean looking ride of yours??? We need pics to kep us attentive
__________________
Behic2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #293
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,568
Lol, you crazy animals, haha .

Tim, can you take pictures of how you and your shop made mounting or brackets for this bumper to attach?? Some shops half ass it and others do a great job reinforcing the areas such as the bolting points.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #294
TRC-SS
TIM "COTW 2-25-13"
 
TRC-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SuperCharged 567RWHP SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Shrewsbury Massachusetts
Posts: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Lol, you crazy animals, haha .

Tim, can you take pictures of how you and your shop made mounting or brackets for this bumper to attach?? Some shops half ass it and others do a great job reinforcing the areas such as the bolting points.
Tomorrow night i will. We added more glass to the edges. and i believe when we go to attach it we wil be adding rubber washers (prevent over tighting and cracking) and most likely a small peice of aluminum inbetween.
__________________
View Build HERE>>>>>MY 2011 2SS/RS JOURNAL
TRC-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #295
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Tomorrow night i will. We added more glass to the edges. and i believe when we go to attach it we wil be adding rubber washers (prevent over tighting and cracking) and most likely a small peice of aluminum inbetween.
Okay good, thanks man. That definitely sounds like a good idea. When I looked at the mold, I thought this thing will crack in no time unless some serious mounting support is made.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #296
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,485
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Okay good, thanks man. That definitely sounds like a good idea. When I looked at the mold, I thought this thing will crack in no time unless some serious mounting support is made.
When Mindz had his installed they beefed up the mounting tab area with some aluminum and wrapped it in FG. I like the rubber washer idea. help add flex with no crack, hopefully.

The first bumper I received was super thick and very rigid the second two were gradually more pliable but not as strong looking. I ended up cracking the fender mounting tab on my current bumper with very little effort... so yeah it certainly is a good idea to strengthen it. It looked to me as if he started to use less layers of fiber, he did say he was using a more flexible resin.

Looking forward to seeing it on the car Tim
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #297
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]
 
TCAT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On Earth
Posts: 5,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
When Mindz had his installed they beefed up the mounting tab area with some aluminum and wrapped it in FG. I like the rubber washer idea. help add flex with no crack, hopefully.

The first bumper I received was super thick and very rigid the second two were gradually more pliable but not as strong looking. I ended up cracking the fender mounting tab on my current bumper with very little effort... so yeah it certainly is a good idea to strengthen it. It looked to me as if he started to use less layers of fiber, he did say he was using a more flexible resin.

Looking forward to seeing it on the car Tim
That's definitely good to know. I am using the same shop as Mindz for my bumper and other components of my car, so I feel comfortable with their work thankfully. I'm curious to see some of the bracketing and strengthening everyone is using.
__________________
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #298
Rideskinz
 
Rideskinz's Avatar
 
Drives: SS, ZL1, V6
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 672
Looks great Tim! Good to see it finally getting close to being on your car
Rideskinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #299
TRC-SS
TIM "COTW 2-25-13"
 
TRC-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SuperCharged 567RWHP SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Shrewsbury Massachusetts
Posts: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideskinz View Post
Looks great Tim! Good to see it finally getting close to being on your car
Thanks Tony. Everything worked out good, We took our time and make sure it was done right. Thankfully its winter and my car would be stored away anyway so its perfect, no rushing to get it done. Stay tuned for more pictures within the next couple weeks.
__________________
View Build HERE>>>>>MY 2011 2SS/RS JOURNAL
TRC-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #300
TRC-SS
TIM "COTW 2-25-13"
 
TRC-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SuperCharged 567RWHP SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Shrewsbury Massachusetts
Posts: 4,597
Teaser shot again until i can upload more tomorrow.

On a side note, the Reverse hood kit will not sit right with everything we have done. So i will be reverting back to factory hinges tomorrow. Oh well!

__________________
View Build HERE>>>>>MY 2011 2SS/RS JOURNAL
TRC-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The New Jersey (and area) check-in thread SirBrad USA - NY / NJ / PA 459 06-10-2014 06:13 AM
The 2011+ Mustang Thread GatorBlue371 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 11878 08-23-2011 12:30 PM
2011 2SS/RS Owners Please Chime In NYCSRTATE Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 17 01-13-2011 07:46 PM
My New 2011 SIM 2SS/RS AmeriCustom Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 41 10-09-2010 11:55 PM
Think about this and the Z28 5th gen 13F20 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 41 09-04-2010 12:59 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.