Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #201
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Southwestspeed.net

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Yeah totally.....I've messed around with cluster lighting but I can't wait to see some news on your build.

Heck yeah!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #202
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
There are some nice verts on here but yours is hands down the best built on here IMO. Thanks for sharing!!!

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #203
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Let me give this thread the it deserves...everyone needs to see this car in person.....
NightOwl RGB Halos, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
Exhaust Video (Manifolds) Exhaust Video (Headers) White Lightning
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #204
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I have been working very hard for several weeks to get the car ready for camaro fest. As many of you know, we've been working on custom full color (rgb) LED lighting controllers. When I say "we", it means myself, my 16 yr-old son, my wife, and my 12 yr-old son. I am a software engineer by trade, and have a degree in electrical engineering. I always wanted to work with the hardware side, so this has been my opportunity. My 16 yr-old son is going to be an amazing engineer himself. Actually...he already is! We make a great team, and I have really enjoyed working with him on this huge project.

Last September we created some prototype controllers that controlled the ambient lighting in the doors, and also controlled the ambient lighting that we added to the dash. We showed this off to a few people at Pony Wars. It consisted of a main controller under the dash that controlled the ambient lighting across the dash. This module also included a wifi hotspot so that we could control it from a smartphone. The main module talked to each of the door controllers via radio signals. So no running wires through the door wiring harness. The door modules are as easy as unclipping the ambient lighting two-wire connector and plugging in our new module in its place.

Fast forward almost a year...and we have expanded the lineup with 3 more controllers. One controls the front-end lights. This module controls the rgb halos, the driving lights, and white lights that go in with the turn signals. We also have an engine-bay module, and an undercarriage module. All of these get radio signals from the cabin controller.

We have a full-blown iPad app, and a slimmed-down iPhone app. My 16 yr-old son did all of this work.

I am so proud of the man he is becoming. He has also helped me tremendously on the hardware design and prototype construction.

We look forward to unveiling our work at camaro fest. Please be sure to visit the main host hotel in the evenings for a demonstration.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #205
vroomapunk
Cammed!!!!!!

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
I have been working very hard for several weeks to get the car ready for camaro fest. As many of you know, we've been working on custom full color (rgb) LED lighting controllers. When I say "we", it means myself, my 16 yr-old son, my wife, and my 12 yr-old son. I am a software engineer by trade, and have a degree in electrical engineering. I always wanted to work with the hardware side, so this has been my opportunity. My 16 yr-old son is going to be an amazing engineer himself. Actually...he already is! We make a great team, and I have really enjoyed working with him on this huge project.

Last September we created some prototype controllers that controlled the ambient lighting in the doors, and also controlled the ambient lighting that we added to the dash. We showed this off to a few people at Pony Wars. It consisted of a main controller under the dash that controlled the ambient lighting across the dash. This module also included a wifi hotspot so that we could control it from a smartphone. The main module talked to each of the door controllers via radio signals. So no running wires through the door wiring harness. The door modules are as easy as unclipping the ambient lighting two-wire connector and plugging in our new module in its place.

Fast forward almost a year...and we have expanded the lineup with 3 more controllers. One controls the front-end lights. This module controls the rgb halos, the driving lights, and white lights that go in with the turn signals. We also have an engine-bay module, and an undercarriage module. All of these get radio signals from the cabin controller.

We have a full-blown iPad app, and a slimmed-down iPhone app. My 16 yr-old son did all of this work.

I am so proud of the man he is becoming. He has also helped me tremendously on the hardware design and prototype construction.

We look forward to unveiling our work at camaro fest. Please be sure to visit the main host hotel in the evenings for a demonstration.

Thats Awesome!

How did you get your reverse lights white? Do they still work?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #206
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Thats Awesome!

How did you get your reverse lights white? Do they still work?
The reverse lights are the AAC LED ones. I ghosted over them with a light coat of white. Since they are so bright, the light still shines through. They're probably close to stock brightness now.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #207
vroomapunk
Cammed!!!!!!

Quote:
The reverse lights are the AAC LED ones. I ghosted over them with a light coat of white. Since they are so bright, the light still shines through. They're probably close to stock brightness now.
Makes sense, I was thinking about ghosting them, but thought it would be too dark, but if they are LED, then ur right.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #208
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Makes sense, I was thinking about ghosting them, but thought it would be too dark, but if they are LED, then ur right.

Thanks
Yeah...but not sure how well any color other than white would work though. Worst case...strip the paint off and polish it back to clear.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #209
vroomapunk
Cammed!!!!!!

Quote:
Yeah...but not sure how well any color other than white would work though. Worst case...strip the paint off and polish it back to clear.
Very True, white and black would be fairly easy, anything else probably not so much.

I know AAC sells ghosted side markers, but I assume you ghosted the reverse lights yourself? I wonder if AAC would do this
Old 07-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #210
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
I really don't think people understand the magnitude of how much work has gone into your design. I've never seen someone so dedicated to a cause or design. And the insporational part is that it's not just you, it's your family. An entire family coming together to design something that the aftermarket industry, for one of the countries most popular sports cars, can't yet make is something to be more than impressed with, it's something to be proud of.

I KNOW this will revolutionize the way anyone looks at any form of lighting in the camaro. Interior, exterior, engine bay, headlights, where will it go next?! There is nothing with this magnitude of customization that I have seen on the market for ANY car, much less the camaro.

Groundbreaking is an understatement, and the fact that I can even offer help makes me feel special.

Joe, you know you can call on JT and I as well as any of the others in the club for help. I can always guarantee you, on my end you have my overwhelming and undying support. If need another pair of hands, or my slow but sure brain , don't hesitate to ask.

I can't even begin to explain my thanks for everything you've done. You're certainly setting a good example for those around you and especially your aspiring sons. Thank you.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #211
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
I really don't think people understand the magnitude of how much work has gone into your design. I've never seen someone so dedicated to a cause or design. And the insporational part is that it's not just you, it's your family. An entire family coming together to design something that the aftermarket industry, for one of the countries most popular sports cars, can't yet make is something to be more than impressed with, it's something to be proud of.

I KNOW this will revolutionize the way anyone looks at any form of lighting in the camaro. Interior, exterior, engine bay, headlights, where will it go next?! There is nothing with this magnitude of customization that I have seen on the market for ANY car, much less the camaro.

Groundbreaking is an understatement, and the fact that I can even offer help makes me feel special.

Joe, you know you can call on JT and I as well as any of the others in the club for help. I can always guarantee you, on my end you have my overwhelming and undying support. If need another pair of hands, or my slow but sure brain , don't hesitate to ask.

I can't even begin to explain my thanks for everything you've done. You're certainly setting a good example for those around you and especially your aspiring sons. Thank you.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #212
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

x2
NightOwl RGB Halos, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
Exhaust Video (Manifolds) Exhaust Video (Headers) White Lightning
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #213
Nathan Moreno

Drives: G5.R
That's AWESOME Joe! Congrats on doing a great family project. Can't wait to see the finish product.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #214
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
That's AWESOME Joe! Congrats on doing a great family project. Can't wait to see the finish product.
Thanks guys! It's great to have friends like all of you. It has been a great experience for the family, and I just hope that the support will be there at camaro fest. They have all put a lot of effort into this with me, and we would love to see some excitement. I was hoping to also have a complete demo system mounted to a display that people can see. We've only got 10 days left, and more installation needs done into the car. We don't have time to build more controllers. I know you guys would love to jump in and help, but I don't think it would make it go quicker.

Nathan, thanks for stopping in here. I know how busy you are on your own monster project. The rest of you guys, be sure to check out Nathan's "Cleaning the Clutter" thread if you haven't already. It is the best thread in these forums. Nathan has been a big inspiration to me, and the main reason why my engine bay looks the way it does. I wouldn't have had the guts to dive in without noticing his fearlessness. There are some nice looking engine bays out there, but there won't be any that look as good as Nathan's when he is done.

Gotta get back to work! Ten days left.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #215
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Awesome! Glad to hear y'all are still at it! We don't want to be in your hair, I'm sure right now it's getting down to crunch time and you need all the focus you can get.

I feel I've said enough, and now I'm only becoming a distraction.

But keep up the good work Joe! I can't wait to see it all pay off for you, because you deserve it.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #216
ken53007

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Keep up the good work Joe I see you being on the cover or at least in the next camaro now magazine

And if there is anything you need from me I will do my best to help
Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #217
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Joe...your car is simply amazing to say the least....I will be interested in looking at thenew and updated version of your mods.........
Old 07-30-2012, 01:36 AM   #218
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro SS/RS
Somebody commented on one of my youtube vid's to check out your build thread. Awesome thread, work and car!!! I am a hardware guy so I have crazy LED's but never thought of controlling them the way you described. I am in Vegas and can't see it at Camaro Fest, but maybe when you can post some vid's, pics, etc. I am soooo interested!!! I have RGB changing grilles, fogs, back up lights and behind brake dust shields. Full motion extremely bright RGB dream color ABL. 10 separate sources of interior light, RGB LED with separate high low control, dimming and any shade.

I gotta see your stuff!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #219
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicave13@gmail.com View Post
Somebody commented on one of my youtube vid's to check out your build thread. Awesome thread, work and car!!! I am a hardware guy so I have crazy LED's but never thought of controlling them the way you described. I am in Vegas and can't see it at Camaro Fest, but maybe when you can post some vid's, pics, etc. I am soooo interested!!! I have RGB changing grilles, fogs, back up lights and behind brake dust shields. Full motion extremely bright RGB dream color ABL. 10 separate sources of interior light, RGB LED with separate high low control, dimming and any shade.

I gotta see your stuff!!!
We're going to try to get some video made up Tuesday night, and will get it posted by Friday or Saturday. You're ride looks awesome, and I'll check out your youtube.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #220
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: 442
Can you pass along a youtube link?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #221
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

572HP, I'm super stoked! Great ur kids r involved too. My girlfriend Rita helps out a lot with ideas and she loves running the dremmel

I can't wait for the video, maybe a pic or list of equipment too? U go

t me thinking maybe I need some kind of DMX control for mine, I don't think I could do it wifi and on a iPhone though. Much props!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #222
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

I have a ton of vids on my build thread, but ur prob like me and wanna see 572's

QUOTE=Toyaholic;5366296]Can you pass along a youtube link?[/QUOTE]
Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #223
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicave13@gmail.com View Post
I have a ton of vids on my build thread, but ur prob like me and wanna see 572's
See:
nightowlleds.com

Hopefully video will be available this weekend.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #224
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Wow, checked out your site. The technology makes sense and I could see how it could be quite useful!!! man I wish I could make Camaro fest to see it in action.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #225
Dizzy

Drives: Black 2011 2ss
sick build