Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

4th Generation Camaros 1993-2002

Old 02-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
DarkDragon85

Drives: 1994 Camaro
Remove paint from headlights...

Hello everyone new to the forum and i just bought my first Camaro on friday, and i am loving it, but there are a few things wrong with it and i would like to get some opinions on were to start first, limited amount of income so going to try the cheapest issues first...

1. Right turn signal seems to just want to stay lit, the light in dash sometimes will just stay on for about 20 minutes even if the turn signal is off... friends say they see it come on but does not blink... Left turn signal works perfect... thinking it maybe a switch problem any ideas were to start looking for problem?

2. Also there is Black paint somewhat PAINTED on the turn signal lights on the front bumper what would be a good chemical to remove the paint off the signal but not to damage the paint on the body?

3. Also the roofing is all hanging down any good ideas how to fix it other then what this dude did putting staples in the roof??? i mean come on staples... now thats terrible.... but kinda works...

Thats some of the problems i would like to take care of first.... Thanks in advance for the advice and hope to hear some good ideas and pointers in the right direction on how to fix some issues!!!

Matt
Old 02-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
MrCool

Drives: '95 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDragon85
1. Right turn signal seems to just want to stay lit, the light in dash sometimes will just stay on for about 20 minutes even if the turn signal is off...
Welcome to the forums Dark,
If I can remember correctly, my dad had the same problem a long while back, and if I can also remember correctly, he just replaced the light bulb, and it was fixed. IMHO, it would probably be cheaper to start there first.

Hope that helps a little, and welcome!
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Sounds like someone tinted the blinker lights before you got it. Whatever you use to strip it off make sure you remove them from the car first. What will be strong enough to remove teh tint will be strong enough to remove the bumper paint.
201x Z28?
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
1) start with the bulbs.

2) Goo Gone is safe on the cars paint. Idk if it will take the paint off of the light covers though. Best bet here would to take the covers off and work with it so you don't risk the cars paint.

3) This kind of repair is actually quite easy, well except the getting it out of the car part without breaking it. Take off all the trim and lights that come in contact with the roof and take it down, it should be in one big piece and be like styrofoam. Be careful with it, if it breaks it costs a ton to buy a new one. Go buy a can of contact glue in a spray can. Go around to the auto stores and even look around online for place that sell the fabric that goes up top, it's been a couple years so I don't remember how much it runs but it wasn't all that much less then $100 for a roll I think. Putting the fabric back on can be tricky if your not careful, just start on one end and work your way to the other. Once the fabric come sin contact with the glue it's stuck there and removing it requires buying more fabric. wait 24 hours then put it back in your car.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDragon85 View Post
Hello everyone new to the forum and i just bought my first Camaro on friday, and i am loving it, but there are a few things wrong with it and i would like to get some opinions on were to start first, limited amount of income so going to try the cheapest issues first...

1. Right turn signal seems to just want to stay lit, the light in dash sometimes will just stay on for about 20 minutes even if the turn signal is off... friends say they see it come on but does not blink... Left turn signal works perfect... thinking it maybe a switch problem any ideas were to start looking for problem?

2. Also there is Black paint somewhat PAINTED on the turn signal lights on the front bumper what would be a good chemical to remove the paint off the signal but not to damage the paint on the body?

3. Also the roofing is all hanging down any good ideas how to fix it other then what this dude did putting staples in the roof??? i mean come on staples... now thats terrible.... but kinda works...

Thats some of the problems i would like to take care of first.... Thanks in advance for the advice and hope to hear some good ideas and pointers in the right direction on how to fix some issues!!!

Matt
Welcome to the forum. First what year is the Camaro?

1.Check and make sure when you turn on the Signal light that both bulbs outside are lit. if one is not that is the problem replace the bulb. If both are lit then you have another problem and it could be the switch especially if the light stays on even with the switch in the off/neutral position.

2. Depending on the year Camaro you should be able to find new signal light lenses. anything that will take the paint off is going to melt the plastic to where it looks terrible. You may also want to do a search on e-bbay for them. lots of people sell them when they part out a car. Partstrain.com too has replacement lenses at a discount.

3. The headliner is an area that is very hard to fix and get it to look right, especially if he used staples in the material there will probably be holes in it and look aweful.... I have had several vehicles that this has happened too and the spray adhesive is just a temporary fix at best, most of the time the backing material had deteriorated because of age and heat and nothing will help that ones it starts. You might as well bite the bullet and get a new headliner panel. many places have them and they are really not that expensive and once you get it done you don't have to worry about it again for a long time.

Good luck.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
DarkDragon85

Thanks for the advice...

The car is a 1994 Camaro

Replaced the Bulb lastnight and apparently there is a hole the size of a quarter in the lens cover... so that now needs replaced to stop the other bulb to blow, luckly i bought the 2 pack lol... the signal did not work lastnight when testing the instal but this morning driving it to the car wash and walla it started working.... weird.... must have just been the bulb but it works like a champ now.... Ok what is a good parts site to buy camaro parts so i can replace the lense.

I didnt think about fabric spray glue.... but that sounds like a bad idea at the same time.

i will post some photos here in a sec...
Old 02-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
DarkDragon85

Photos

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...c-70c640d3f906

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...e-e6e983eeec30

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...6-522afd66b9c7

There are a few photos and i will get some photos of the engine in the future...
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
DarkDragon85

Sorry about the myspace photos was just really quick for me before i had to run so here are some from photo bucket don't think you'll have issues with these ones...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/DSCN0524.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/DSCN0522.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/DSCN0520.jpg
Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDragon85 View Post
The car is a 1994 Camaro

Replaced the Bulb lastnight and apparently there is a hole the size of a quarter in the lens cover... so that now needs replaced to stop the other bulb to blow, luckly i bought the 2 pack lol... the signal did not work lastnight when testing the instal but this morning driving it to the car wash and walla it started working.... weird.... must have just been the bulb but it works like a champ now.... Ok what is a good parts site to buy camaro parts so i can replace the lense.

I didnt think about fabric spray glue.... but that sounds like a bad idea at the same time.

i will post some photos here in a sec...
for the parking lights
http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?Nt...294965615+9891

around 26-27 dollars a piece

Cheapest headliner I could find was 194 dollars here
http://www.stockinteriors.com/Headli...d=5&ModelId=71
i found a couple on E-bay for 175 plus shipping.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
MrCool

Drives: '95 Z28
That is a nice lookin' Camaro man!
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote