Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
gmussio

Drives: 10' Camaro LT VRed/Bl Stripes 6M
Bolt-On Recommendations Please!!!

I am saving enough money to purchase and install a couple bolt ons that I really want. I want the BBK LT headers with high-flow cats and an AEM CAI. I should be able to purchase them in May. I am new to the tuning world (but not new to fixing up cars, I have a 1964 Ford Falcon Convertible with a 260 small block v8). My question is, are there any other mods I will have to do to my Camaro? Do I really have to replace the exhaust pipe or mufflers? The exhaust pipe is already at 2.25". Would upsizing the pipe and/or changing the mufflers do anything other then make noise (e.g. does it increase HP, Torque, mileage)? Do I have to program the ECU to get the most from my mods? Are there other CAI or Headers w/ HF Cats that I should consider? Do you recommend I install any of this myself? My dad has a garage with every tool I could possibly ask for to fix up my car and his mechanical skills are greater then mine. We both maintain our own vehicles and have messed with every component of an engine short of cracking open the engine block, tranny, or drive drive train. Thanks for any and all the advice that you can give, it will be greatly appreciated!!!
gmussio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Cool, congrats and good luck on the savings. AEM CAI isn't too well known, but I've seen it, it looks like the Injen CAI (The most popular CAI for the V6).

Also, If you plan on doing headers, I would also change out the entire catback system. Getting a catback with an Xpipe with 2.5" piping will not degrade much torque. You will gain some power though. With a tune to correct the air flow, you will unleash a lot of locked power from your bolt-ons.

I would suggest you do it yourself. Everything is easy with the tools you have at your desposal.

My current setup:
Injen CAI

Corsa Catback
Old 04-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Jannity did a good comparision of intakes, and there are some recent new additions you can find by looking around in this thread. As for the LTs, again several choices. You won't need a tune, but you may get a little more out of your mods if you get one (Trifecta is the only one available). With the LTs you will get a check engine light (CEL) and a tune will also get rid of that.

You will probably not get gains from an axle-back exhaust and very little from a catback. But you will drop a lot of weight. If I had it to do all over again, I would have left the stock mufflers until after I did LTs (now gone) to get a feel for the sound change. The Loudmouth IIs I got didn't quit work that well with LTs. I'm not sure any really will, but it is a matter of taste and I would probably go with the MRT2 exhaust now. Remember, what ever you do LTs will sound raspy on these cars. If you don't like that sound then go with shorties. Less power but they sound much better to me.

As for the install, do the CAI yourself. The LTs are a little more difficult and I wouldn't want to do it without access to a lift. Take a real good look a the passanger side exhaust manifold before you try and you will know right away if you want to attempt it. That's the hardest part.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
ScottyB911

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Actually for the CAI install, if you dont have a lift it can still be done without removing the wheel or the inside fender liner. When I did my Injen, I removed the screws along the front portion of the inside fender well...turned the wheels to the right as far as they would go...then pulled the fender liner back and held it back with a few cable ties connecting a screw hole to the spoke of the wheel...had plenty of room to do what I needed in the lower portion of the engine bay...

Scotty B
ScottyB911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
gmussio

Drives: 10' Camaro LT VRed/Bl Stripes 6M
Hmmmm....

If the Injen is practically the same as the AEM I will probably go for the AEM simply because so many of my friends had it on their cars (their ricers) and swear by it. Brand loyalty I guess, but I do agree that both are amazing so I thank you for the advice. As for the headers and exhaust. I actually like the raspiness... I think I will save up for x pipe with a decent muffler. Even if I don't get a gain in power, I have always like the sound. So the tune will kill the check engine light? Will the dealer do the same? How much is the tune? I have never messed with the ECU before so I am not sure how that work at all (cars from 1964 dont have computers lol). What do I need to purchase to install the tune? Is there a website I could visit? I will look into Trifecta in the mean time. We have a jack with two jack stands... We have been using that. I dont have a lift :(. I will defintely look at the headers when I get off from work and see if it is feasible. Last question (I know, I am asking so many!!! ). Has anyone track tested their mods? What were you 0-60 times? HP gains? Torque gains? Mileage gains? Thanks a bunch everyone! Seriously, I am so happy to have this car and I cannot wait till I am done spiffing her up lol. After that, I want to get the ground effects package, but I am hearing it's like 2 grand w/o installation . I will hold that off till the winter...
gmussio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
check jannetty racing
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote