Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
nitroglycerin

Drives: 2010 Silver and Black 2SS
Cracked Windshield

Monday, on 295 in Burlington NJ, a rock caused a 4 inch linear crack originating from the right A-pillar edge inward. 2 winshield companies say it not fixable and I need a new winshield. I HAVE FOUND SEVERAL YOU-TUBE videos showing easy repairs of this type of crack. Question is, has anyone fixed a similar crack and if so how? sorry for the cell phone pick, had a hard time getting a good photo for you.

Nitroglycerin
Attached Images

nitroglycerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
nitroglycerin

Holy Cow

After almost two weeks the tech shows up to change windshield. Arrives with a PGW ,screen that is different from the factory glass. I asked for an original glass and got a different one. Tech could not install it because the mirror mount and the remote start sensor brackets are in a different location. The original glass has a blacked out area around the mirror and sensor and the replacement dosent.

Q's: Did the windscreens change 2010 to 2011? Is PPG now making the windscreens. Nowhere on the original glass does it say PPG. Is it impossible to get an actual factory windscreen? Anyone else have this problem? you pay 40K for a car and cant get an original windscreen? WTF.

Last edited by nitroglycerin; 04-20-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
nitroglycerin

Went to local dealer, 2011 cars seem to have the same windscreen as the 2010. except for the convertable. Dealer says they can get the factory glass and not an aftermarket replacement. Ordered the screen. Lets see what happens. Called the glass company the insurance carrier hooked me up with. They swear to me that the screen they tried to give me is OEM. The chevy dealer, after seeing my close up photo of the screen's serial number says its aftermarket. Glass co. denies this. I cancelled the claim with them just before I ordered the new screen from the dealer. I guess the moral of my story is that I should have gone to the dealer right away instead of listening to the insurance company. Carrier can't steer you but they certainly influenced my decision. Today was terrible, car wont be ready for about a week--that will total 3 weeks with this issue AND wife is giving me the "I told you so" lecture. 3 weeks to get a REAL Camaro windscreen--really?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
nitroglycerin, I'm sorry to see how your issue has progressed. If you ever end up getting any more issues you can contact me and I will do what I can to assist you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
nitroglycerin

Thanks, I'll let you know. Its a simple issue, I just want a REAL OEM windscreen. Thanks and enjoy the evening.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
nitroglycerin

Update

Update, ordered a new GM windscreen from my local dealer last week. It came in today. Went there to look at it and was told "We dont want to take it out of the box." Red flags started rising. After a re-explanation of wanting an original part, they conceded and I was able to see the part. Happy to say, its the real deal! Having it installed Friday! Barring any other issues, I consider the matter closed. I learned to maintain persistance and perhaps, just perhaps, I should have gone to the dealer MYSELF instead of dealing with a glass installer as suggested by my insurance carrier.

Thanks,

Nitroglycerin
Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
nitroglycerin

Last update. Car got a new screen Friday. Total cost with installation was $750 dollars. That includes a REAL OEM part. It's amazing to me that an aftermarket windshield after installation would have costed me $910 bucks when an original part was so much cheaper. Go figure.

Thanks for reading, Happy Spring Festival (Easter)

Nitro