Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I want to retire when I'm 48

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...at-48-too.aspx
I like this guys take:
"For these taxpayer subsidies, the government could buy hundreds of thousands of GM cars a month and give them to deserving citizens. Make mine a Corvette, please."

Make mine a camaro
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Read it in the AM alot of good points
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE BRM
Just sickening. The only thing I have to add is that if they go under its their own faults, if they survive its because of you and me(MR. & MRS. Taxpayer).

On the other hand, it looks like Ford is doing a better job of running a company. They arent asking for any money and are also making way with dealing with the uaw. Just today I read that Ford had reached a healthcare trust fund deal with them bringing down costs.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
join the military...lol
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
t3chfr3ak

Drives: mazda 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
Just sickening. The only thing I have to add is that if they go under its their own faults, if they survive its because of you and me(MR. & MRS. Taxpayer).

On the other hand, it looks like Ford is doing a better job of running a company. They arent asking for any money and are also making way with dealing with the uaw. Just today I read that Ford had reached a healthcare trust fund deal with them bringing down costs.
Um Ford got their money before things started going in the toilet. Thats why they are not asking.
t3chfr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Blownhotrodder

So your saying they did a better job of preparing right? Yea I thought thats what you were trying to say.

They also didnt get that money from the govt.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS

I love how his biggest gripe is that you can retire at 48 if you was with the company for 30 years considering some companies offer retirement plans for less amount of years worked.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Blownhotrodder

Yes but not with full benefits.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
So your saying they did a better job of preparing right? Yea I thought thats what you were trying to say.

No he's saying Ford was in the shape GM and Chrysler are in now several years ago and took out multi-billion dollar loans from the banks back when they was still loaning.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
t3chfr3ak

Quote:

No Im saying they were going into the toilet before GM or Dodge. Who did they get the money from?

I think this answers that.
http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/25/auto...on=money_autos
Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Facts. Learn them.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #12
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
like spike said, the military is a great route if you wanna retire early. 20 years of active duty
Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
I'm not sure how anyone can complain that Ford took out loans (read: NOT TAXPAYER'S MONEY) from banks. They did it smartly rather then letting themselves get to the point where they were nearly bankrupt.
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
My dad took the 30-and-out deal. He started when he was around 32 years old though.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
t3chfr3ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
I'm not sure how anyone can complain that Ford took out loans (read: NOT TAXPAYER'S MONEY) from banks. They did it smartly rather then letting themselves get to the point where they were nearly bankrupt.
I dont think anyone is complaining. But although they received their secured loan from banks, these banks (Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, and J.P. Morgan) are now going into the toilet(especially Citigroup with their stocks dropping like shit from a horse) and wasting taxpayers moneys. So really, they did get their loan from the govnt or more likely the taxpayer.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #16
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
They literally did the exact same thing GM is doing now, except credit wasn't so tied up from the housing burst. So actually Ford was doing worse than GM, and just got lucky that they could get loans while they still could.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #17
oldsmobile

Drives: '98 Olds Aurora
Why does the media hate on GM so much? The banks get hundreds of billions in bailout money and they say very little. GM ask for a LOAN not a bailout, and a substantially smaller amount than the banks, and the media tears them a new one. I think that what they should do is offer vouchers to taxpayers to buy a GM Ford or Chrysler product that is made in the USA, this would not only help the auto makers but also the dealers and the economy in general. And as far as retiring at 48, let them. If somebody can sit on assembly line and do the same thing 300 times a day for years on end they should be rewarded, I know I couldn't do it.
oldsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #18
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
join the military...lol
Yes sir, retiring at 44
Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #19
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I retired from the Air Force at age 41. I am now well into my second career. The military retirement is a nice supplemental income, but not enough to live on.
Dakota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #20
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:

No they got very lucky! You sure do bash GM alot!
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #21
Paintcode40

Drives: Silver Chevy
Cool Retire at 48

Or do it my way. Work so hard for it all, you have 6 heart bypasses at 48 and are forced to retire at 48 cuz your body so f.....t up!

Paintcode40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #22
Blownhotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
No they got very lucky! You sure do bash GM alot!
Yes I do, they deserve it. They are a better company than what they have shown in the past years. Im not gonna sit here and say oh its alright, its not. And as long as they operate the way they have Im gonna rag the hell out of them. Its about time they got their head out of their butt and take control of the company. The greed and money wasting of upper management, they should get rid of every one of those sorry guys. Getting millions in bonuses and the company is run into the ground. A union that has sucked the company dry with rediculous wage and benefit demands. They have for years built boring cars, the new camaro is about the only exciting thing they have built lately that the average person can remotely afford. Dealerships that are poorly run, look and operate like its the 70's. I go into a toyota dealership and everything is modern, people are friendly and accomedating, much much nicer environment. I could go on but its just wasted breath. The funny thing is that you think I rag on them because I dont like them. I do it because I do like them. I expect more.:flag1:
Old 02-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #23
mutant chicken
Mutant Member

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '10 Mini , 07 Harley
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmobile View Post
Why does the media hate on GM so much? The banks get hundreds of billions in bailout money and they say very little. GM ask for a LOAN not a bailout, and a substantially smaller amount than the banks, and the media tears them a new one. I think that what they should do is offer vouchers to taxpayers to buy a GM Ford or Chrysler product that is made in the USA, this would not only help the auto makers but also the dealers and the economy in general. And as far as retiring at 48, let them. If somebody can sit on assembly line and do the same thing 300 times a day for years on end they should be rewarded, I know I couldn't do it.
If all goes well I should be able to retire for the first time at 50, no I don't work for the auto industry, but I have worked for the same employer since I was 19, and by the time I get my thirty years in I will be lucky if I can still walk. Most of us that drive for the the big brown man either have desrtoyed our knees or our backs by the time we retire, and our average life expectancy is only 3 years after retirement ... I guess our bodies are just plain worn out ! I hope to start a second career after I "retire" so maybe I can live a while longer, I still have two young children that I would like to see grow up, and maybe see drive my new Camaro some day !!!!!

mutant chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #24
t3chfr3ak

Quote:
Yes I do, they deserve it. They are a better company than what they have shown in the past years. Im not gonna sit here and say oh its alright, its not. And as long as they operate the way they have Im gonna rag the hell out of them. Its about time they got their head out of their butt and take control of the company. The greed and money wasting of upper management, they should get rid of every one of those sorry guys. Getting millions in bonuses and the company is run into the ground. A union that has sucked the company dry with rediculous wage and benefit demands. They have for years built boring cars, the new camaro is about the only exciting thing they have built lately that the average person can remotely afford. Dealerships that are poorly run, look and operate like its the 70's. I go into a toyota dealership and everything is modern, people are friendly and accomedating, much much nicer environment. I could go on but its just wasted breath. The funny thing is that you think I rag on them because I dont like them. I do it because I do like them. I expect more.:flag1:
You really have to get your facts straight there buddy! For one, although GM sales have been lacking the past few years this whole automotive industry is hurting not because of bad management but because of the recession (which was caused by the housing market). Second, its not just GM hurting right now its Ford, Dodge, Honda, Mazda,..... As I said earlier Ford was in the crapper before anyone else so why are you sticking up for them? Their loans came from banks that are in the crapper also! I do think they have to cut some of their sister companies off, as there is no need for a different name with similar cars. Kinda pointless. So really, there is no need to be that pissed as its sort of not their fault. If we were not in a recession right now I dont think anything would of happened to any auto manufacturer.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #25
Blownhotrodder

Sort of not their fault.....I like that. So does that mean it is or isnt their fault? Or it is their fault but other circumstances helped with their "problems". The Generals share of the market has been on the decline for years, why is that?

Howd you know my name was Buddy?