Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
many Q's on exhaust... i need better understanding

Ok guys, i think i may of finally chosen the right exhaust after months of thinking about it. Kinda leaning towards the mrt v2 after seeing everyone happy with them... but now for my questions dont be to hard on me lol

1. I have seen videos of the axle back exhaust with removing the resonators and it making the car sound louder. What exactly is a resonator? and what do they do and where are they? will removing a resonator cause any emission problems or things of the sort?

2. Clamping and Welding. I heard welding is the best way to go, but what happens if you want to go back to stock? Will welding cause problems? Pros and cons of each? How much extra will welding cost?

3. What is an X pipe? I see many talking about it and i feel clueless, are they needed or is it something that will help with exhaust sound? Would you recommend an X pipe with the V2?

4. What headers do you recommend? I have only heard about the DT and JBA, any insight on them will be appreciated

5. Square tips. Down the road I want GFX and mrt sells the gfx v2 and non gfx V2, i dont have gfx now so i would get non gfx. But when i do, do they sell square tips separately or will i have to order the other system?

Thanks to everyone who answers, i thought it may be better to put all my questions in one thread and hope some of you may be able to help me out.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Hmm, i won't be hard on you, though I am curious where have you been posting your 2400 posts LOL... ANYWAY,

Resonators are like Silencers.. they keep the exhaust from being too loud. I BELIEVE it removes some drone as well. It is located before the H-pipe on the current exhaust setup. Or is it after, gawd, I just went catback so I never looked lol.

Why would you ever go back to stock? Weld axlebacks. Mainly because it's not designed to be clamped. If you go back to stock, you'd have to pay someone to reinstall the stock exhaust. Doesnt make sense to me, throw those stocks away.

X-pipe, please PLEASE google image and look at what it is. It will replace your current Hpipe, and I believe it adds slight boost in airflow and more power.

If you are looking for Shorties, I hear DT's are better than JBA. But some here have the JBA, and they are just as happy.

Square tips, im clueless on this one... I think anything can work. Probably just saw off your stock MRT tips, and weld on the square ones when you get to it =D

Hope this helps, but seriously, chill out in the V6 section more, and you will learn a lot.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
khabboub
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Sold c7, in the market!
now i want it to be clear that i am no expert on exhaust, but i hate feeling like i dont know anything so when i have a question i do a lot of research, i will try to help you out, but i might not be great at it... here we go

1. I have seen videos of the axle back exhaust with removing the resonators and it making the car sound louder. What exactly is a resonator? and what do they do and where are they? will removing a resonator cause any emission problems or things of the sort?

from what i understand, the resonators are something in the exhaust that makes the car less loud. so if you replace your exhaust, the aftermarket one may or may not have resonators.

2. Clamping and Welding. I heard welding is the best way to go, but what happens if you want to go back to stock? Will welding cause problems? Pros and cons of each? How much extra will welding cost?

after getting a new exhaust you will not want to go back to stock. welding will not cause any problems and it is a lot better than using clamps, but clamps are just a cheaper alternative. i plan to weld my after market exhaust when i get mine put on, but thats just because i have a friend that is willing to do it for me for free.

3. What is an X pipe? I see many talking about it and i feel clueless, are they needed or is it something that will help with exhaust sound? Would you recommend an X pipe with the V2?

this is the topic i know least about so i wont even attempt it.

4. What headers do you recommend? I have only heard about the DT and JBA, any insight on them will be appreciated

as far as headers go, if you want longtube headers, then i say you should go with BBK, they have the best gains and they cost substantially less then all the other brands. if you want short tube headers, go with DT, they have the least CEL. but you will get a lot more horsepower with a set of longtube headers

5. Square tips. Down the road I want GFX and mrt sells the gfx v2 and non gfx V2, i dont have gfx now so i would get non gfx. But when i do, do they sell square tips separately or will i have to order the other system?

they do sell square tips separately, you can get a set from the vendors section of the forum, i dont know the link. but the reason companies sell GFX and non GFX exhaust is not because one has square and the other doesnt, they look the same and the GFX one has exhaust tips that are shaped just ever so slightly different so that they dont hit the rear GFX diffuser and cause a rattle.
khabboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post
Ok guys, i think i may of finally chosen the right exhaust after months of thinking about it. Kinda leaning towards the mrt v2 after seeing everyone happy with them... but now for my questions dont be to hard on me lol

Thanks to everyone who answers, i thought it may be better to put all my questions in one thread and hope some of you may be able to help me out.
It look like above posters pretty much answered your questions but I guess I will chime in a little also.As far as the resonators, if you like quiet rather than louder than dont remove the resonator, leave it on especially if you are just going to go with an axle back since removing the resonator mean you having to slice it off.The xpipe, I will assume you are talking about the magnaflow perforated xpipe since that seem like the most talked about form of xpipe recently, There are a true xpipe and like I mention a perforated xpipe which basically mean a silenced or resonated xpipe. A true xpipe is simply just an "X" with no disturbance in airflow, and a perforated or resonated xpipe is a xpipe inside of a muffler with an intent of absorbing sound.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Resonators serve as a small muffler and change the exhaust note on the car without hurting the exhaust flow.
Welding is the better way to go unless you plan on putting them on and off.
The factory v6 H-pipe sits right in front of the resonators and you would replace it with the x-pipe if it's something you want. An x-pipe helps with exhaust scavenging(when this bank isn't firing and the other side is it's pulling on the non-firing side).
If I were to go shorties I'd go with the DT's. If longtubes were in the mix I'd check the OBX's for the price alone(I have BBK's and love everything but the price, I'm not used to paying more for v6 headers than v8). If price wasn't an issue I'd go with the ARH's as they are beautiful and made in the USA. Either shorty set will require some welding.
On the square tips, I'd say talk to MRT about it. I'm sure when you're ready they'd sell you a set of square tips and you get them welded right up.

Last edited by usa1camaro1969; 04-17-2011 at 10:14 AM.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
Thanks guys very much for the answers. I greatly appreciate it, so for the resonators when i go to have the exhaust installed I will talk to them about removing the resonators and see what they say i could do. And yes that magnaflow x pipe was what i was referring too, if that dampens the sound then I am prob gonna pass on that. For headers i think i am going to go with short tube as of now with the DT for less chance of cel.. even if i dont get a cel should i get a tune with them? I will have the mufflers welded and w.e needs to be done with the headers.