Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #51
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Nice looking car, but not at all what I'd picture a 17yr old driving. Hell I'm 30 and I think that car looks too "old" for me. Plus I don't think leasing a vehicle is a good idea. Good luck though and I hope you like it.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #52
Visual_Perfection

Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamlynn1 View Post
I have leased my last 7 vehicles and it was the BEST possible way to drive those cars. to everyone saying buy a beater etc or dont lease they are misinformed or parhaps they put THEMSELVES in a poor lease Im not sure.

"I did a lease on a car when I was 16....it was a 2001 explorer sport. I would definately not recommend a lease because you really are just throwing your money away unless you buy at the end of the lease. I spent roughly $12,000 over 2 years on the lease and after that you have nothing. I have been there and done that....I am not telling you what car to get.....just rethink the lease part buddy "

To this person I would ask on a 60 or 72 month contract whay do you have at the end of 2 years? An OBLIGATION to pay off the car is ALL you have you dont own the car the bank still does. On a 2 or 3 year lease you have OPTIONS you can sell the car, trade it in or heaven forbid you hated it give it back having only been obligated to a short term.

Automobiles all deperciate the only way to win is to spend as little of your money to drive them while this is taking place which points towards leasing. the only scenario where leasing doesnt make sense is if a driver puts 25000 miles or more per year on there vehicles then it just doesnt pencil out.

The ONLY way I would drive a VW is under a short term lease, have you ever had a car or truck you just hated after 1 year or 2 again if you are on a long term contract you have an OBLIGATION to pay it off but if you leased it you have a shorter obligation until you can switch into something you like better!

Im sure many of you have horror stories about friends or neighbors leasing nightmares but I am 7 for 7 with ZERO headaches, in fact when my 2007 tahoe lease comes up in July I am giving it backbecause the residual is higher than current market value, had I been in a long term loan I would be buried and NOT be able to get out of it! Leasing a NEW car is the only way to fly in my book!

Well to argue your point, the easiest way to spend as little as possible is buy it used, i never said anything about buying a beater, and if you can't afford to pay for a nice vehicle, then don't buy it! I pay cash for every vehicle I have owned, except one, in which I took a loan, knowing I would have it paid off by the following year in which I did.

Every vehicle I have ever owned has been several years old after it has taken it's depreciation hit.. in the end I got the EXACT car I wanted, and guess what I am still driving a $30k+ vehicle around, and at a stoplight the guy next to me has the same vehicle, but don't tell him I paid half of what he did or less.. Buying a used vehicle you still have warranty on a lot of them, and after 10 cars I can say I have maybe lost $10k total over the years.. I'm guessing on a lease you loose more than that for only 1 vehicle.
I mean my logic..

I wanted a 2006 trailblazer or whatever vehicle you want to insert there..

if I leased it and drove it for 2-3 years - cost to me in the end $10K+

If I bought it new and drove it for 2-3 years - cost to me would be $15-20k loss. 33k orginal price minus depreciation when I would sell it.

If I bought it used (btw still has warranty) which I did, I pay Less than half of the cost of a new one being I let the first owner take the hit on depreciation, and I could turn around and sell it again for at most around a $2k loss, being it has already done most of its depreciating. Best part is, No bank owns it because instead of spending 33k on a truck I couldn't afford, I spent a third of that and paid cash.. It's my truck, I can do what I want with it, sell it when I want, and still come out way ahead of any other option.

Now that $10k-15k I saved myself by not leasing or buying a new vehicle and eating the depreciation I can take and do what I want with it.. not see it be thrown away.

Now this is all personal preference, and if someone has to have a new vehicle do what you must, as every car out there needs to have someone buy it new at one point so that they can loose money on it's depreciation and then I can buy it barely used for thousands less

When I was little my parents always bought new as well.. then they began to realize they could get the same vehicle half a year old with only 5-10k miles on it for 2/3 of the cost.

But doesn't matter to me, lease, buy new, buy used, steal a car for all I care.. but none of us NEED a brand new vehicle, and since I don't have money growin on my tree in the backyard, I have realized I don't NEED a new one, so for now I will keep that $10k or more in my bank account, and when that car is half the price in 2 years I will take it off someon's hands when they feel the "need" a different New vehicle.

guess if people have the money and don't care about that $10k+ loss kuddos to them, but to me that is a lot of money to throw away. I just wanted to state my reasoning behind why I feel leasing is not a good idea, nor is it the best option when trying to spend as little as possible while having a vehicle.

Peace

Last edited by Visual_Perfection; 02-26-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Visual_Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #53
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
yea, maintenance is the real issue...hope you have some deep pockets...
I agree, How come every few days I see a VW driving around with one headlamp burnt out ?. Must be poor quality.
myold88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #54
cfifan
Realtor

Drives: Volkswagen Beetle
I had the same problem on my bug, thought it would be the bulb which ordinary i would have replaced myself, but to get to the bulbs on a beetle you have to take out half the engine to get to it so took it to the dealer and it turned out the wiring harness had burnt out. Set me back just over $600 in parts and labour, only for the following week the other side to go. Same problem. When i said bulbs are supposed to blow not wiring harness's they said its one of those things. I wouldnt touch a VW again even if you paid me. build quality isnt there and the dealers here in Central Florida are bad. David Maus has taken over one dealership so they are alot better now but even so i wouldnt go down that route again.
cfifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #55
teamlynn1
Mr. Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Tahoe Z71, 2009 Silverado
Well there are many ways to look at your scenario, you may be one of those guys who doesnt mind used but I look at my vehciles like I do my women I want them to be VIRGINS when I take them not WHORES not even slightly used WHORES that somebody else has been inside. It just a matter of personal preference. There is definitley logic in buying used goods and saving $$$ but if you want to drive a NEW vehicle leasing is the most affordable way to do it imho. The majority of those Trailblazers that you see for half price are rentals that get bought back at auction so to me those are SEASONED WHORES having had so many different asses in the seats it wouldnt be a good value to me at or near free. I admit I am unique in my not wanting others to drive my cars, I actually prefer to PDI them myself when they come in. I beleive I care for my cars better than anyone else and will gladly pay for that right to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual_Perfection View Post
Well to argue your point, the easiest way to spend as little as possible is buy it used, i never said anything about buying a beater, and if you can't afford to pay for a nice vehicle, then don't buy it! I pay cash for every vehicle I have owned, except one, in which I took a loan, knowing I would have it paid off by the following year in which I did.

Every vehicle I have ever owned has been several years old after it has taken it's depreciation hit.. in the end I got the EXACT car I wanted, and guess what I am still driving a $30k+ vehicle around, and at a stoplight the guy next to me has the same vehicle, but don't tell him I paid half of what he did or less.. Buying a used vehicle you still have warranty on a lot of them, and after 10 cars I can say I have maybe lost $10k total over the years.. I'm guessing on a lease you loose more than that for only 1 vehicle.
I mean my logic..

I wanted a 2006 trailblazer or whatever vehicle you want to insert there..

if I leased it and drove it for 2-3 years - cost to me in the end $10K+

If I bought it new and drove it for 2-3 years - cost to me would be $15-20k loss. 33k orginal price minus depreciation when I would sell it.

If I bought it used (btw still has warranty) which I did, I pay Less than half of the cost of a new one being I let the first owner take the hit on depreciation, and I could turn around and sell it again for at most around a $2k loss, being it has already done most of its depreciating. Best part is, No bank owns it because instead of spending 33k on a truck I couldn't afford, I spent a third of that and paid cash.. It's my truck, I can do what I want with it, sell it when I want, and still come out way ahead of any other option.

Now that $10k-15k I saved myself by not leasing or buying a new vehicle and eating the depreciation I can take and do what I want with it.. not see it be thrown away.

Now this is all personal preference, and if someone has to have a new vehicle do what you must, as every car out there needs to have someone buy it new at one point so that they can loose money on it's depreciation and then I can buy it barely used for thousands less

When I was little my parents always bought new as well.. then they began to realize they could get the same vehicle half a year old with only 5-10k miles on it for 2/3 of the cost.

But doesn't matter to me, lease, buy new, buy used, steal a car for all I care.. but none of us NEED a brand new vehicle, and since I don't have money growin on my tree in the backyard, I have realized I don't NEED a new one, so for now I will keep that $10k or more in my bank account, and when that car is half the price in 2 years I will take it off someon's hands when they feel the "need" a different New vehicle.

guess if people have the money and don't care about that $10k+ loss kuddos to them, but to me that is a lot of money to throw away. I just wanted to state my reasoning behind why I feel leasing is not a good idea, nor is it the best option when trying to spend as little as possible while having a vehicle.

Peace

Bobby Lynn
GM Burien Chevrolet
www.burienchevrolet.com
206-243-5800 ext 151

teamlynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #56
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
Quote:
Well there are many ways to look at your scenario, you may be one of those guys who doesnt mind used but I look at my vehciles like I do my women I want them to be VIRGINS when I take them not WHORES not even slightly used WHORES that somebody else has been inside. It just a matter of personal preference. There is definitley logic in buying used goods and saving $$$ but if you want to drive a NEW vehicle leasing is the most affordable way to do it imho. The majority of those Trailblazers that you see for half price are rentals that get bought back at auction so to me those are SEASONED WHORES having had so many different asses in the seats it wouldnt be a good value to me at or near free. I admit I am unique in my not wanting others to drive my cars, I actually prefer to PDI them myself when they come in. I beleive I care for my cars better than anyone else and will gladly pay for that right to do so.
Did we go to different schools together?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #57
Rob490

Drives: NONE
UPDATE:

Now me and my parents are saying maybe we should forgo the CC and stick to the original plan of gettting the camaro in December/january. Its kind of uncertain at the time ill let you guys know.

Id still say its 65/35 CC though.

BTW: VIRGIN cars are the way to go
Rob490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #58
Visual_Perfection

Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
Quote:

I do agree with you on your logic if you want to buy new and plan to get a different car again in 2 years, then leasing prob. is the best way to go. I was just saying it is not the least expensive option out there.

I also agree that I don't want all kinds of people being "inside" my vehicle before I own it... but that is where my hard work in finding exactly what I want pays off, it takes patience to find what you want but in the end the result is good. My TB was a one owner vehicle who then traded it in at the same dealer he bought it from for another new vehicle. All my other previous used cars I have had to search hard to find exactly what I wanted, several of them I had to drive 2 or 3 states away to get them, and I have just been lucky enough to find cars that were taken care of as good as I take care of them, but again it is all in the hunt lol.

Like you said it all comes down to personal preference, and I know one day I will buy a new vehicle when I have money to throw around, but for now I will stay used as it is the most logical for me.
Visual_Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote