Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
bumblebee123

Drives: Fast & the Furious
Tap Shift & Manual Stick

What's the difference of those two besides not using the clutch?
bumblebee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
gto_in_nc

Drives: 1997 Jeep Wrangler -for now...
One is connected to an automatic transmission and the other is connected to a manual transmission.
gto_in_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Tap shifters are for Nissans!
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Tap Shift is an automatic transmission. You just have buttons on the steering wheel to shift it manually. It still uses a torque converter as a clutch.

Do not confuse this with sequential gear boxes or dual-clutch transmissions found in higer-end sports cars like the BMW-M3, Nissan GTR, some Audi's and VW's as well. Also very common in Ferrari's and Lambo's. These are actually manual gearboxes that automate the activation and deactivation of the clutch.

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
bumblebee123

In regards on speed, does it even matter?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
bumblebee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Tap shifters are for Nissans!
The upcoming Camaro (auto) will have one too.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee123 View Post
In regards on speed, does it even matter?

Yes. An auto is generally considerd faster in a strait line. But if you have a really good drive manuals often have more aggressive gearing and can match an auto. Manuals will generally be better cars through the twisties because you can control your rear's speed independantly of the front.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
Tap Shift is an automatic transmission. You just have buttons on the steering wheel to shift it manually. It still uses a torque converter as a clutch.

Do not confuse this with sequential gear boxes or dual-clutch transmissions found in higer-end sports cars like the BMW-M3, Nissan GTR, some Audi's and VW's as well. Also very common in Ferrari's and Lambo's. These are actually manual gearboxes that automate the activation and deactivation of the clutch.
higer-end sports cars like the BMW-M3, Nissan GTR, some Audi's and VW's....and Smart ForTwo's
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
My wifes IS350 has tap shifting and it sucks. There is a delay of about a second and a half. You have to set up how far through the gears you want to shift. I've used them once. Just long enough to see how stupid it is.

The thrill of shifting gears was gone for me a long time ago. Auto is just fine and usually faster. Just not as fun sometimes. I wanted the remote start for the A/C here in Alabama it gets pretty hot. Just my .02 though.

You can usually tap shift the stick on the console also by moving it left and right for up and down. I guess to make you feel like your shifting gears manually. I say get a manual or use the auto tranny how it's supposed to be used. Also, a lot of people think the paddle shiffting is bad for the tranny but I don't know.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Also, a lot of people think the paddle shiffting is bad for the tranny but I don't know.
I've heard that, too. I hope that with a full warranty, etc...GM knows what's good for the transmissions THEY invented.

Just to reiterate what everyone's said here:

The paddle-shifters (TapShift) in the Camaro is just an automatic transmission with the option for manual control. It's NOT like the gearboxes in Ferrari's.

Based on feedback from drivers, Camaro team folks, and some '08+ Corvette drivers, the shift response is actually pretty quick. Of course that's up for debate, but what's for sure is that the computer does not interfere with your shifting: If you want to redline it and bounce off the limiter, it'll let you do that.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
My wifes IS350 has tap shifting and it sucks. There is a delay of about a second and a half. You have to set up how far through the gears you want to shift. I've used them once. Just long enough to see how stupid it is.

The thrill of shifting gears was gone for me a long time ago. Auto is just fine and usually faster. Just not as fun sometimes. I wanted the remote start for the A/C here in Alabama it gets pretty hot. Just my .02 though.

You can usually tap shift the stick on the console also by moving it left and right for up and down. I guess to make you feel like your shifting gears manually. I say get a manual or use the auto tranny how it's supposed to be used. Also, a lot of people think the paddle shiffting is bad for the tranny but I don't know.
I say don't judge the Camaro's tap shift until you use it or have talked to someoe that has used it. Just because tap shift sucks on one make car does not mean it will on the Camaro... I don't think the Camaro's tap shift will have the option of doing from the shifter, I think you have to use the paddles on the steering wheel... toy just put the shifter in manual mode and use the paddles.... Right side shifts up left side shifts down...

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
VJCamaro
Please not have any Delay

Drives: 2SS, RS, Sunroof, Polished
I ordered it, because I wanted to have that feeling it is a manual at times. I didn't get the manual because I travel 100 miles a day and usually stuck in traffic which becomes a drag when you have a manual. This car will be my daily driver, about 500 miles a week.

I got it for the fun factor!
VJCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
spd98

Drives: had a goat
I drove a Manual GTO for 2 years in Atlanta which is some of the worst traffic in the country. Newer cars have light clutches so it's really not a good argument.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Kray
2G1FJ1EJ9A9110138

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I was unsure of the tapshift on the car, so when I was placing my order the sales manager let me take out a new V8 Malibu with the tapshift to see how it felt and it was great! It took a few seconds to get used to shifting from the steering wheel.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I say don't judge the Camaro's tap shift until you use it or have talked to someoe that has used it. Just because tap shift sucks on one make car does not mean it will on the Camaro... I don't think the Camaro's tap shift will have the option of doing from the shifter, I think you have to use the paddles on the steering wheel... toy just put the shifter in manual mode and use the paddles.... Right side shifts up left side shifts down...
No! Not judging the Camaro, I'm just speculating based on my experience with paddle shifters. I've actually heard that GM does it pretty well but will have to see. You're right though, it's just a toy. Bonnies car has the option of using the 'stick' and works the same way as the paddles on the wheel. I actually can't wait to check them out, but no matter what, I doubt I'll ever use them.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
I was unsure of the tapshift on the car, so when I was placing my order the sales manager let me take out a new V8 Malibu with the tapshift to see how it felt and it was great! It took a few seconds to get used to shifting from the steering wheel.
How was the delay? When you pulled the paddle, how long did it take for the response?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Quote:
How was the delay? When you pulled the paddle, how long did it take for the response?
Ifpq, I did the same thing back in December. I really thought is was great and don't think there was any delay.

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
Kray
2G1FJ1EJ9A9110138

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I didn't notice a delay. It was alot of fun to drive, my last 4 cars have been manuals and I was looking for an automatic but thought I would miss the manual but now I can't wait to get into my 6 speed automatic.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #19
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT21 View Post
Ifpq, I did the same thing back in December. I really thought is was great and don't think there was any delay.
Quote:
I didn't notice a delay. It was alot of fun to drive, my last 4 cars have been manuals and I was looking for an automatic but thought I would miss the manual but now I can't wait to get into my 6 speed automatic.
Good to hear. Like I said, I'll probably never use it but it'll be kind of novel to have.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #20
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I've heard that, too. I hope that with a full warranty, etc...GM knows what's good for the transmissions THEY invented.

Just to reiterate what everyone's said here:

The paddle-shifters (TapShift) in the Camaro is just an automatic transmission with the option for manual control. It's NOT like the gearboxes in Ferrari's.

Based on feedback from drivers, Camaro team folks, and some '08+ Corvette drivers, the shift response is actually pretty quick. Of course that's up for debate, but what's for sure is that the computer does not interfere with your shifting: If you want to redline it and bounce off the limiter, it'll let you do that.
What I've read on the G8 boards is that the computer will only interfere to
  1. prevent a downshift that would put it over the redline
  2. keep you from looking dumb by trying to start off any gear but 1st or 2nd.
I can live with that, in fact I'd say it is better than no interference at all.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
there is no V8 Malibu.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
Paintcode40

Drives: Silver Chevy
M or A

Manual give you the control over the car far more then a automatic and is just a lot more fun to drive.

Name:  Copy of pc40sig.gif
Views: 3285
Size:  12.5 KB
Paintcode40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #23
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
I drove a Manual GTO for 2 years in Atlanta which is some of the worst traffic in the country. Newer cars have light clutches so it's really not a good argument.
just start having left knee problems like I have and you will quickly change your mind... but otherwise i love a manual for playing hot rod racer...

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #24
PQ

My only thing is that my son is turning driving age and all of our vehicles are automatic. I sure would like him to learn to drive a manual. But other than that I'm happy with the auto.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #25
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Good to hear. Like I said, I'll probably never use it but it'll be kind of novel to have.
You say that now... Did you order a stick or an Auto?

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote