Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #188
usranger80

Drives: 2011 1LT "Bumblebee"
So I am interested in doing this, I have tried reading through the entire forum but can't find where you guys are getting the kit. I have a couple questions though, I have a 2011 1LT/RS M6, can this kit still be used on that model/trim. If so I am interested in doing this.
usranger80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #189
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
You can get it here, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142687
On a 1lt all you do is instead of the power for the camera coming from the mirror you will need to t-tap your revers lights and power the camera, If you let me know i can add a power and ground in to the harness at the back end of the car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #190
Fubar

Drives: SW 2SS/RS M6
Great mod....
Fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #191
johnntab

Drives: 2010 2SSRS, 11 CTS-V, 12 Denali HD
Ofer is awesome...That is for those of you who didnt already know.
I bought the harness for the backup camera, I also got him to send me the front camera as well. With the camera, he sent me a 3 way video switch to change from the front camera to the back.
To make this work, we connected the front camera to video 1 input on the switch, so it is always displayed on the mirror (as long as the mirror has power and is turned on). I connected the black wire from the front camera to the ground by the screw in the fuse access panel. The red wire from the front camera gets connected to the green from the mirror harness, and both of those are connected to a power source in the fuse box. The green wire would normally bring power to the camera from the mirror, but I used it as the opposite to take power to the mirror while the car is not in reverse.
We connected the back camera to the video 2 input, and the red wire from the switch labeled video 2 trigger gets connected to the red from the rear camera. Now, back near the tail lights, the wiring harnesses have to be spliced. Ofer recommends a t-tap to connect the pink wire from the camera harness to the light green wire in the rear lighting wire harness. This will allow the back up light circuit to power the rear camera, and trigger the switch to display the rear camera (video 2).**
When connected like this, the mirror will display the front camera at all times, except when the car is put in reverse. When the car is in reverse, the screen switches to the back camera.
I have not finished the install yet, but have only made some quick wire connections to test it. Once I do the real install, I will try to post some supplemental pictures. ( If I can figure out how to post pics).
johnntab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #192
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Thank You ,but you did it all i did was help, Please post some pics of how to do it, Some of us need this mod.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #193
BrandonB956

Drives: RS (11/15/10)
Saved for later

Nov.15th 2010 -- Check out my build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116235
BrandonB956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #194
ace1808

Drives: 2011 CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnntab View Post
Ofer is awesome...That is for those of you who didnt already know.
I bought the harness for the backup camera, I also got him to send me the front camera as well. With the camera, he sent me a 3 way video switch to change from the front camera to the back.
To make this work, we connected the front camera to video 1 input on the switch, so it is always displayed on the mirror (as long as the mirror has power and is turned on). I connected the black wire from the front camera to the ground by the screw in the fuse access panel. The red wire from the front camera gets connected to the green from the mirror harness, and both of those are connected to a power source in the fuse box. The green wire would normally bring power to the camera from the mirror, but I used it as the opposite to take power to the mirror while the car is not in reverse.
We connected the back camera to the video 2 input, and the red wire from the switch labeled video 2 trigger gets connected to the red from the rear camera. Now, back near the tail lights, the wiring harnesses have to be spliced. Ofer recommends a t-tap to connect the pink wire from the camera harness to the light green wire in the rear lighting wire harness. This will allow the back up light circuit to power the rear camera, and trigger the switch to display the rear camera (video 2).**
When connected like this, the mirror will display the front camera at all times, except when the car is put in reverse. When the car is in reverse, the screen switches to the back camera.
I have not finished the install yet, but have only made some quick wire connections to test it. Once I do the real install, I will try to post some supplemental pictures. ( If I can figure out how to post pics).
This mod sounds awesome. Is there anyway to retrofit the old harness we bought from ofer originally to make this happen? Or do we need to buy a new harness? Thanks
ace1808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #195
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Same harness all you do is change the way you use it.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #196
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Here is a photo of my installed camera. I tried to make it a clean install!

Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #197
TofuDragon

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6
I did this install almost a month ago and finally got around to taking some pictures. Here are some thoughts on my experience and random tips:

- Ofer (2SSRS) personally helped out when I had a wiring issue with my wiring harness. I spent a few extra hours on the install due to the issue, and Ofer definitely took care of it. Excellent customer service; exactly how everyone should be, a fellow enthusiast helping you out with the install.

- If you don't have the tools to remove automotive trim pieces, GO GET THEM. Worth the expense. Some of those plastic rivets on the inside trim were a huge pain to get off with just a flathead screwdriver.

- As others have pointed out, nighttime is not a problem because the reverse lights illuminate the area behind you pretty well.

- If you want to turn off the rear view display altogether for some reason, you have to hold down the power button to the left bottom of the rear view mirror. I was just pressing it briefly and letting go, and thought that mine didn't have that option. Hold it down again to turn back on.

- I've washed my car at least 4 times since the install, with no issues on the camera or wiring.

- No one else mentioned this yet, but on my install, I am able to see a little bit of my rear bumper in the image display... which makes it really easy to gauge how close I am to something. I can back up to within inches of something now.

- Only minor con: Install screws aren't included (which gives you the freedom to mount it the way you want), but I had a heck of a time finding suitable mounting screws. Autozone had ones that were too big, and home depot only had white ones. I ended up finding some at Lowe's. Tip is to find and purchase the screws before you start the install.

- Less than a month, and I've already had at least 5-6 instances where I've thought WOW about this rear camera setup. For example, I had to park in a pretty cramped parking lot (with an uneven ground) when eating out this past weekend. Reversing out would have been an ordeal due to other cars pulling into the lot from the main road, metal pipes jutting up from the ground to mark the lot, and people walking behind... not to mention the decline slope so the back window gave a nice view of the sky only. With the camera setup, it was a piece of cake.
Attached Images

TofuDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #198
jimmyh

Drives: 2011 1LT => 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuDragon View Post
- No one else mentioned this yet, but on my install, I am able to see a little bit of my rear bumper in the image display... which makes it really easy to gauge how close I am to something. I can back up to within inches of something now.

That's a good point. I painted a black line on my garage floor, and I just back up until the bumper covers the line. And when I pull in, I back up a little until the bumper visually reaches the seam between the driveway and garage floor, and it's perfect location every time.
jimmyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #199
hawkfe

Drives: 2014 Stingray 3LT
Installed the backup camera tonight, took about 2 1/2 hours. Spent lots of time getting the hole just right (thanks Gene Culley for the template) and Ofer for the kit. Picture looks great, did'nt pull the back seat. Will post pics tomorrow.

Pics Posted - Picture in the mirror looks better than what is shown, nice and clear.
Attached Images

Last edited by hawkfe; 07-23-2011 at 07:58 PM.
hawkfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #200
tbone587

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Does anyone here have a picture of of what the mirror looks like with the wire channel? I was informed that it will not fit on the new mirror. Also, I have a black box to the right of my mirror that I didnt notice on any of the screenshots here. Does anyone know what that is?
tbone587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #201
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Your black box is your remote reservoir,(Auto cars only) i can take a pic for you.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #202
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfe View Post
Installed the backup camera tonight, took about 2 1/2 hours. Spent lots of time getting the hole just right (thanks Gene Culley for the template) and Ofer for the kit. Picture looks great, did'nt pull the back seat. Will post pics tomorrow.
No problem man. I am glad you used it and it worked out for you.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #203
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Hey everyone. Received my camara yesterday and plan to install on the next day or 2.

Just a real quick question. On a 2011 2LT/RS with remote start, am I still suffing the connector/harness up into the headliner. From what I am reading it's a yes, but I wanted to make sure.

Last edited by nyrfan; 08-04-2011 at 12:12 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #204
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Yes you do and congrats on the car.