Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Get a Load of This

Letter to Obama suggests Steve Jobs to head GM, Chrysler

Quote:
General Motors and Chrysler don't make products that people want to buy
Are you F-ing serious

Quote:
Back in November, a New York Times columnist thought it would be a good idea for Apple CEO Steve Jobs to come to the auto industry's rescue. Jobs is worshiped by many in the tech world, and many feel that he pretty much saved Apple in the 1990s. But thinking that a brilliant tech guy can right the ship at struggling automakers could possibly be called a stretch. Well, Spark Capital founder Todd Dagres doesn't think so, as evidenced by his recent open letter to President Barack Obama.

Dagres, like many financial analysts, feels that the auto industry is worth saving, if only to keep its high paying jobs and stave off a deeper nationwide recession. He understands that market conditions helped cause the auto industry's current struggles, but says General Motors and Chrysler don't make products that people want to buy. He feels Steve Jobs could step in and provide design and product leadership that could help return a combined General Motors/Chrysler to their former glory.

Steve Jobs has been nothing short of heroic during his second tenure with Apple, but comparing his Cupertino-based company to GM and Chrysler is like comparing Apple to oranges. For instance, GM still builds its own engines, transmissions and many other components that make up their automobiles. Apple doesn't make its own processors, motherboards, graphics cards, hard drives or disc drives. In other words, the two industries are far too different for Jobs – or any other tech guy – to make a difference. Dagres argument is also predicated on the assumption that GM and Chrysler are selling vehicles that people don't want to buy. While that may be true to an extent with Chrysler, GM's lineup is chock full of competitive products. To simply say they're not what people want is willfully ignoring the countless other reasons for not buying a new car during a recession.

Link

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
shank0668

Drives: 1998 Sahara
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
All our cars/ trucks are General Motors or Chrysler............
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
NOOOO!!!!!!! NOT STEVE JOBS!!!!! I HATE Apple. If GM is controlled by GM...my life would be torn apart...GM is for real men, not hippy-lenscrafters-black turtleneck wearing idiots, typing on their MacBooks and answering calls with their iPhones...GODD!!!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
....you guys know Apple is about the most successfull company on earth, right?

Steve jobs is amazing at what he does.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
but imagine what all american cars would look like if designed by the apple people..... they could either be sleek and sexy, or bubbly and cute. he also seems to practice not offering any options whatsoever, you either get a macbook or a macbook pro both are built the way he says so. imagine that in the car world.....

either way i highly doubt steve knows anything about cars, let him stick to computers
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
shank0668

Drives: 1998 Sahara
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
lol not this
Attached Images

shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
My wife is a mac freak. My father-in-law makes regular sacrifices at the Holy Altar of Apple. Honestly, Jobs could take a dump in a little white case and he would pay hundreds of dollars to own it. Me, not so much. I had a really bad experience with my ipod - the battery died prematurely while it was still under the original warranty, the Apple guy at the misnamed "Genius Bar" said he couldn't find anything wrong with it, but if I bought an extended warranty he was sure he could find something, wink wink - and I wanted an ipod touch but everyone I tried at the Apple store crashed within seconds of me picking it up.

Anyway, you get this a lot in the business world - some B-school grads who got the diploma but really didn't learn anything try to justify their education by picking the "hot" company of the day and saying everyone should be just like them.

One last thing - you know how to erase 30% of Apple's market value? Post a rumor that Jobs died and watch the share price plummet. Steve is Apple, and without his charisma (that's all it is, really) Apple is just another company. People don't actually like the product. They like the image and marketing that Steve sells.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
letter to Obama....

HHAHAHAHAHA

I didn't vote for him, so do not blame his BS on me!!!

Hope you enjoy the over 1 trillion of your tax money he has already spent on BS..
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Personally I agree with Gator Blue and I also believe that Jobs would be smart enough to surround himself with CAR guys and run the business aspect of GM and let the car guys do cars!! Imagine all the tech etc in GM cars and how profitable he could turn the company into!! That would rock!! PS STOOVT001 dude your trippin on acid if you think people don't like apple products!!! I have iMac, iPod and Iphone and migrated that way because they are the best at what they do!!! PC (piece of crap) Zune lame and weak, other phones can not hold a candle to the iphone , believe me I have had ALLLLLLOOOOOT!!! Steve Charisma and outlook about his products and customer base is an added plus! Apple products do what they say seamless and flawless , with simple intuitiveness unlike others! If GM made cars that were intuitive, and were seamless like that they wouldn't be in there situation!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Personally I agree with Gator Blue and I also believe that Jobs would be smart enough to surround himself with CAR guys and run the business aspect of GM and let the car guys do cars!! Imagine all the tech etc in GM cars and how profitable he could turn the company into!! That would rock!! PS STOOVT001 dude your trippin on acid if you think people don't like apple products!!! I have iMac, iPod and Iphone and migrated that way because they are the best at what they do!!! PC (piece of crap) Zune lame and weak, other phones can not hold a candle to the iphone , believe me I have had ALLLLLLOOOOOT!!! Steve Charisma and outlook about his products and customer base is an added plus! Apple products do what they say seamless and flawless , with simple intuitiveness unlike others! If GM made cars that were intuitive, and were seamless like that they wouldn't be in there situation!

Do some of you really think apple would be designing cars? Its just the CEO, apple isnt buying out GM.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 02-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
ArcAngel

Yea I don't think they see the BIG picture.... he would just take wagoners job and run it like he runs apple...CAR guys would run the design, and creation of cars!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #12
SoFlaZ

Drives: Nothing special :-(
These are 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT industries!!

Do they really want Steve Jobs if he approved of this??
lolololol jk
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 AM   #13
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Apple is NOT one of the most successful companies ever! They just happen to have invented something called an Ipod which created a trend that will just not die.

They are too liberal and hippy for me, not to mention stealing the PC processor (I know windows stole the Mac GUI) because, duh, it is better.

Also, Jobs is terminally ill with cancer and will probably not be in any shape to run any sort of program.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #14
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue

Are those the real headlights?? Is ABL going to be included on the dash??
Old 02-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #15
ArcAngel

Jobs will be around for a long time my friend
Old 02-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #16
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Apple is NOT one of the most successful companies ever! They just happen to have invented something called an Ipod which created a trend that will just not die.

They are too liberal and hippy for me, not to mention stealing the PC processor (I know windows stole the Mac GUI) because, duh, it is better.

Also, Jobs is terminally ill with cancer and will probably not be in any shape to run any sort of program.
How do you personificate an electronic device as being liberal or hippy? I don't like apple either but that is just stupid, whatever floats the consumer's boat. Where are all these people coming out of the wood work? Get rid of all these stereotypes for christ sake. As a matter of fact, isn't old stereotypes half the reason everyone thinks GM needs new management?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #17
GatorBlue371

Quote:

Are you kidding?

Apple might be the best run company in the world. They have the best products, the best help, the best stores, the best ads and they are ALWAYS improving, coming out with something new.

I dont agree with everything Obama has done, like his "bi-partisan BS " but this was a good move. Jobs would be one of the best in the buisness to oversee this whole thing, and the fact that he is an outsider from a great company will affect how positively the public will view this.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #18
Tactical Z
Banned

Drives: Nissan Titan
Fail.
Tactical Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:57 AM   #19
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:

And Apple stole the mouse and Mac GUI from Xerox.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 AM   #20
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
I'm gonna say no. He may be a good business man with what he does. Personally i hate all of his products with the exception of itunes and i wouldn't wanna risk his effing it all up, cause the easy excuse would be "well how was i supposed to know." I'd rather have someone who is supposed to know.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
And come out with the Chevrolet iCar?
No, thank you.

Only issue I can really lodge against the information in the OP is this:

The Big Three have a 51% market share...how does that qualify as "General Motors and Chrysler don't make products that people want to buy?" There's only three of them...but there's more than 5 prominant import companies (last time I counted)..... I hate it when people say that (not you MM, it was obviously a quote)...it's so dumb.

Since that was the basis of the author's argument, that Steve Jobs is needed to improve product....he's an idiot, and wrong. No Steve Jobs
Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
I personally hate macs. I don't think there is a single product apple has that someone else isn't doing better.

That being said, I think Jobs is a marketing genius. Thats the exact type of person GM needs leading them right now. They have reliable, fuel efficient products. They have products that many people would be suprised to learn they would actually really want. But for some reason, GM is not even attempting to market a single product they have. The only products getting attention are the Corvette, Camaro, and Volt- cars that generate their own attention without effort.

If GM had someone like Jobs leading them who has proven to run multiple successful marketing campaigns, who could also put a positive spin on GM, I think we would see this company turn around faster than any of us could imagine.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #23
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder4thgen View Post
I personally hate macs. I don't think there is a single product apple has that someone else isn't doing better.

That being said, I think Jobs is a marketing genius. Thats the exact type of person GM needs leading them right now. They have reliable, fuel efficient products. They have products that many people would be suprised to learn they would actually really want. But for some reason, GM is not even attempting to market a single product they have. The only products getting attention are the Corvette, Camaro, and Volt- cars that generate their own attention without effort.

If GM had someone like Jobs leading them who has proven to run multiple successful marketing campaigns, who could also put a positive spin on GM, I think we would see this company turn around faster than any of us could imagine.
Apple is also one of the worst companies when it comes to screwing customers over (for example charging first gen iPod touch owners $ to get the applications later shipped for free on later devices).

But his Reality Distortion Field is unparalleled. Sadly for the electronics and computer industry, he probably won't live to see 2010.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder4thgen View Post
But for some reason, GM is not even attempting to market a single product they have.
I agree with you that they need more marketing...however, the reason they aren't....is because of $$$. Something not even Steve Jobs could fix right now...they don't have the money to spend on huge marketing campaigns: their marketing budget was slashed dramatically recently as part of the survival effort. :(

Rest assured, though -- upon release, the Camaro will get it's time in the advertising spotlight (so says GM).
Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #25
Red Hot
:)

Drives: 2SS RS Red Jewel
Apple is the only stock I have that is still above water, all the others have tanked. I got an iMac after only using pc's. It took me a little while for the transition, but it's an awesome computer and very user friendly. Apple has come out with a lot of the new technology 1st which gives the rest of the companies some competition. Good for business, I think.
I hope the best for Steve Jobs and hope he comes through this illness ok. Without him at the helm, I'm not sure what's going to happen.
Red Hot is offline   Reply With Quote