Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Devil-eyes

Drives: undecided
2011 mustang possible Twin turbo V6

i heard the pony V6 version of the Mustang could possibly be coming out with a Twin Turbo version later on. i saw vid on youtube saying its coming out in a yr after the 2010 model has been produced putting the new Taurus engine in the mustang v6 body. producing a Twin Turbo V6 360HP

any one know of this?
Devil-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0
Yeah, it's been known for quite some time. The 5.0 will also make an appearance.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Yeah, the ecoboost is the TTv6- like in the SHO, the 5.0 should be interesting, they are claiming 400hp and 370~ ft. lbs of torque.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Devil-eyes

how much is the price for the V6 TT? wont that go over the 400HP mark if you chip it?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Oh I am sure it will go over 400hp for a chip, here is a small article on the ecoboost.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/06/d...ect-injection/

I also believe there is an article out there (with video) of them describing the materials and assembly of the engine. As far as I know the TTv6 is only a $600 option on the flex as well. Not too much more for getting so much more over the base engine. I'm curious if they will make it that cheap of an upgrade on the Mustang...If they did, it will be a winner.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
Devil-eyes

im sorry but i have to say of the Ecoboost is being released then i have to hold back on my Camaro SS ordering. if the TT mustang comes out to be $25K i must take it. but i dount its that much and if its close to $30K then im going for the SS
Old 02-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
If Ford does this it would be the right thing to do ..

Crowley
Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
I'm more interested in this than the 5.0L,but i don't think this is going to be anywhere near 25K. It may be more than the 5.0L,this isn't a base engine we're talking about. I'm excited we'll have a high performance pony car with something other than a V8.......Turbo 6 Trans Am anyone?? Now that was a badass car.
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Dont think it will be under 30k with the Taurus SHO being around 37k.
I say it will be in par with the SS. turbo v6 does sound nice though.
Chip and exhaust would do wonders.
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
the premium from v6 to ecoboost might be more because its a rwd platform. that aside, it should perform better in a rwd platform
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
Bocephus

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT, Kona, BBP, 3.73
My guess is that it's going to be an option for the GT model. It will be interesting to see how they do it though.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It's supposed to be called EcoBoost. It will allow V8 performance in a more efficient package. I'm hoping that someone at GM makes that happen for the Camaro.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
KatarHol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It's supposed to be called EcoBoost. It will allow V8 performance in a more efficient package. I'm hoping that someone at GM makes that happen for the Camaro.
For some reason,that doesn't fit my personal peception of a Camaro. A non-v8 performance model works for Mustang and the Firebird always had a euro flair to it,so it worked for 1st gen OHC Sprints and the 3rd gen 20th anniver. TA,but for Camaro........i don't knowIt's more of a muscle car,i don't think it would fly. It would be the same for a Corvette or like a 911 with a 4-banger(912),it wouldn't work.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil-eyes View Post
im sorry but i have to say of the Ecoboost is being released then i have to hold back on my Camaro SS ordering. if the TT mustang comes out to be $25K i must take it. but i dount its that much and if its close to $30K then im going for the SS
I've always been told ever since the rumors about the 5.0 and the ecoboost came out that they both will be options on the GT.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I've always been told ever since the rumors about the 5.0 and the ecoboost came out that they both will be options on the GT.
Same here, although I wonder if they won't hang an SVO badge on it in an homage to the first batch of factory turbo Mustangs.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Way to go Ford! It's time us old school muscle car people fully embrace the new technology. Turbo's make power and torque, and gobs of it with less displacement. So here is my reiterated though slightly modified wish. GM should increase the displacement of 3.6 V6 to maybe 5 Liters if that can be done. Then twin turbo it and put it in the long awaited Z28!!! There I said it again . Anyone now what the displacement limit was for the original Trans Am racing series in which the 1st Generation Z/28 did quite well and some would say dominated later in the series?....Hint it was 5.0 Liters....which is why Chevrolet developed the 302 small block.

Oh yeah...history could repeat itself, and I would be phyched.!!!

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #17
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarHol View Post
For some reason,that doesn't fit my personal peception of a Camaro. A non-v8 performance model works for Mustang and the Firebird always had a euro flair to it,so it worked for 1st gen OHC Sprints and the 3rd gen 20th anniver. TA,but for Camaro........i don't knowIt's more of a muscle car,i don't think it would fly. It would be the same for a Corvette or like a 911 with a 4-banger(912),it wouldn't work.

we have to let go of our loyalty to v8's they will no longer be economical or ecological. v8's will be extinct in the next 10-15 years i can almost guarantee it.

Turbo 4 cyl and v6's are the muscle of the future.
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #18
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
we have to let go of our loyalty to v8's they will no longer be economical or ecological. v8's will be extinct in the next 10-15 years i can almost guarantee it.

Turbo 4 cyl and v6's are the muscle of the future.
Why? What about a V8 makes it inherently inefficient?

A simple questions for you. Which would likely knock down superior fuel economy all else being a equal......a perfectly square (by square I mean bore/stroke relationship) 3.8L V6 or a perfectly square 3.8L V8? When you answer that I'll listen to your reasoning regarding the doom of the V8 engine as we know it.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #19
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
Why? What about a V8 makes it inherently inefficient?

A simple questions for you. Which would likely knock down superior fuel economy all else being a equal......a perfectly square (by square I mean bore/stroke relationship) 3.8L V6 or a perfectly square 3.8L V8? When you answer that I'll listen to your reasoning regarding the doom of the V8 engine as we know it.
Well for one thing they are lighter in weight. But hey man im not a mechanic or an engine expert. But everything i read in motor trend and other magazines (popular science........etc) says that very little cars will offer v8's in the future. Sure they will be out there i guess.

But why bother with the pure weight when a v6 can make the same HP? and a turbo 4 can make same power as old v6's ? and so on..........

and as a rule......the more cylinders you have........the more gas you use.....there is no way around that.
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarHol View Post
A lot of people on the boards have been really opposed to the possibility that a V8 is not the best possible method of attaining horsepower, torque, and efficiency. There's nothing uniquely American about a big V8. That's a major misconception that American car enthusiasts tend to have when thinking about classic cars. They forget that the big fighters on the street here may have been huge V8s when the same battles were happening on the tracks of Europe. I can't understand why Americans are so intolerant to the idea that power can be achieved with less cylinders or difference sources of fuel. Just because something has always been done a certain way doesn't make it the best.

I know that you'll tell me that the American V8 has a unique sound or bellows in a way that nothing else compares. It has tradition. I understand all of that. On the same token, there are a lot of American and international traditions that had to die for their obvious fallacies. With the V8 tradition, there comes the belief that it is superior somehow. More noise must mean more power, or more cylinders must mean more power. If either one of those were correct, the V8 owner could feel dominant on the streets until, of course, an exotic featuring 10 or more cylinders pulled up at the next stoplight.

When that happens, the game changes. Americans start talking about reliability and how exotics are harder or more expensive to maintain. They talk about how their V8 gets more miles per gallon or that theirs was made in America, as if the fact that a car being built in the land of the free makes it somehow superior than a car built in the land of delicious pasta—Italy, of course.

These are arguments that import buyers use to justify racing their little 4-bangers against larger displacement beasts. Who are we to say that they're wrong? The Chevy Cobalt SS turbocharged gets an astounding 260 hp from the LNF (2.0L) EcoTec and boasts to be the fastest 4-banger in the world, making it more of a competitor with cars that have 6 or 8 cylinders. What happened to the tradition of a 4-banger never keeping up with a V8? Now you've got 2008 Cobalts beating 1968 Camaros at the track. Maybe that shows us something.

We need to play with the idea of having aggressive V6s. GM should be building V6 blocks with forged internals for the sake of forced induction replacements for V8s. They are more efficient and as powerful as any V8 that boasts more displacement. They may not be quite as easy to bring to 1,000 horsepower, but the vast majority of enthusiasts won't break the 700-hp mark. When we can make 8-cylinder engines with the efficiency of 6-cylinder or 4-cylinder engines, then we can talk about reverting to the tradition of only V8s in muscle cars. I'd love to see it happen, and it is possible with the proper management of the fuel going into the engine. It just hasn't been a priority to make efficient V8s, which is sad because that idea alone could have saved the American auto industry a lot of trouble.

Basically, the only things that should be sacred to a car enthusiast are style and speed. If you can achieve both of these pillars of the automotive community with anything less than a V8, then I think it should be encouraged.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
KatarHol

I'm not loyal to the V8,like i said earlier,i'm MORE interested in the Ecoboost Mustang than the 5.0L,it seems like a more interesting car,i could care less about MPG. I'm just saying a turbo 6 doesn't fit the Camaro's character like it would a Mustang. I wouldn't want a big V8 in a 3-series,aside from the M3,that car's character is made up in part from the silky smooth I6. I wouldn't want a V6 in a Miata and so on and so on.
Also,my turbo 4 in my CX7 gets worse MPG than my V8 so as long as the V8 is efficient,i don't see the need to replace it.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #22
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
dang, what if Mustang does come out with a 400 hp v6? I wonder how Chevy will respond.
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #23
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fad1 View Post
dang, what if Mustang does come out with a 400 hp v6? I wonder how Chevy will respond.
The obvious answer would be installing forged internals into the already powerful LLT and boosting that.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #24
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
And again, I will believe all of this when I see it. If Ford actually packages the 5.0 into something that even remotely challenges the 1SS and comes close to the price, I'll sweat.

As for the EcoBoost...I'm a HUGE turbo fan and I applaud Ford for the effort...but the fact of the matter is it's going to be expensive and probably tuned very tame from the factory. I am excited to see what comes of it because if they do it right the aftermarket will explode like never seen before to support it and make it a monster.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #25
KatarHol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
And again, I will believe all of this when I see it. If Ford actually packages the 5.0 into something that even remotely challenges the 1SS and comes close to the price, I'll sweat.
I hope that you're "sweating" over a decision over what to buy and not that a 5.0L might beat a Camaro.
If i wanted a Camaro,i could care less if a Mustang might be faster and vice versa. I want what i want,my two priorities are is it fast and is it fun? Check.Check. I would just "sweat" over so many awesome choices.