Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SMGSS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
bonehead

Drives: xxx
Big wheels keep on turnin'

This is not necessarily a Camaro question but generally… Who thinks this “big wheels” style is getting out of hand or who thinks it has run its course.

I personally hate the "big wheels" thing. I don't see any reason to have wheels larger than 18" on anything car or truck. As far as the Camaro goes... I think 18" wheels will look just fine on the v6 or v8 cars. Adjust the wheel wells to fit that size and be done with this "wheel race"!

Opinions?
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2010 Camaro & 2008 Corvette
I didn't like them in the past, now I do. If I had a money tree in my back yard I'd get those black 21"s. eighteens are good looking also, though. Heck, I remember when 14"s were standard, now they look retarded.

Ordered 11-04-08, NFHCTC
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
The size of the wheel totally depends on the vehicle. And many people have gone overboard. For example I think 22" wheels on a Hummer look great, but 20" would be max for a Camaro IMHO. So it really depends on the vehicle.

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown

Drives: 08 Vette
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
I agree with rmyers. It all depends on the car. It just has to fit the wheel wells good and have some rubber on it. There needs to be a good amount of rubber on a big wheel or else it looks dumb but to much so it looks like a bogger tire haha.

NO to much
I would kill for a gale banks diesel powered camaro. I would have so much torque and power that whenever I go to parades I would be physically able to throw torque out the window like candy for the kids.
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
SS 376

Drives: IBM 1SS
Rmyers is right. As long as it's in proportion, big wheels look fine. The Camaro, like the Challenger, has mammoth wheel wells. You need 20"s or even larger to fill it up.

I can remember a time not very long ago when 18" was considered a big wheel and 20"s were a size that maybe worked on a truck but rarely on a car. Now Challengers and 300s swallow up 22"s and there's still plenty of rubber on the tire. Hell, you can put 22"s on the Viper no problem. To me, the real drawback is cost: consider that the the 21" package for the Camaro is what, $4800?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
I really don't think 18" wheels would look proportionate on the new camaro. IMO 20" wheels are still a little small the 21" are perfect I mean look at the concept camaro it had 21" fronts and 22" rears
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
It doesn't take a big wheel to fill the wheel well, you can put a larger profile tire to do just that. You don't need 20's if you don't want. Too lil of a profile will hurt performance especially at the drag strip, Too much profile hurts when turning. So it is all a compromise. I think filling the wheel well up, is just a personal preference. The question that should be asked is what do you want to achieve, and what works the best for your situation. IMO
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
It doesn't take a big wheel to fill the wheel well, you can put a larger profile tire to do just that. You don't need 20's if you don't want. Too lil of a profile will hurt performance especially at the drag strip, Too much profile hurts when turning. So it is all a compromise. I think filling the wheel well up, is just a personal preference. The question that should be asked is what do you want to achieve, and what works the best for your situation. IMO
I totally agree it's a personal preference. For me my SS is going to be for street use so I like more wheel and the deeper the dish the better
Old 02-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
this is all we need. i think 16 it fine on most things. 15s are still nice

whats the bolt pattern on the new camaro? 5x4.75?
Attached Images

FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
hdhomer

Drives: 69 Cutlass - small block
The "Big Wheel" look is here to stay. I agree that the Camaro needs 20" wheels to look right. The side profile of the car coupled with the size of the wheelwells shows me that the designers intended it that way. IMO, 21" is the biggest wheel I would ever put on a car. Any larger and the section of the tire is to small to drive on a city street. I live in Chicago and this time of year the buckled pavement and potholes can turn a nice aluminum wheel into a paperweight. I know, most of us would never drive our Camaro this time of year.
As far as performance wheels go, less mass means more fast. Look at the Corvette, nothing bigger than 19".
hdhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotsfordtat View Post
I didn't like them in the past, now I do. If I had a money tree in my back yard I'd get those black 21"s. eighteens are good looking also, though. Heck, I remember when 14"s were standard, now they look retarded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
The size of the wheel totally depends on the vehicle. And many people have gone overboard. For example I think 22" wheels on a Hummer look great, but 20" would be max for a Camaro IMHO. So it really depends on the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhomer View Post
The "Big Wheel" look is here to stay. I agree that the Camaro needs 20" wheels to look right. The side profile of the car coupled with the size of the wheelwells shows me that the designers intended it that way. IMO, 21" is the biggest wheel I would ever put on a car. Any larger and the section of the tire is to small to drive on a city street. I live in Chicago and this time of year the buckled pavement and potholes can turn a nice aluminum wheel into a paperweight. I know, most of us would never drive our Camaro this time of year.
As far as performance wheels go, less mass means more fast. Look at the Corvette, nothing bigger than 19".
I agree with these posts (okay - with most of the other ones too, but I couldn't quote them all) and think it's relative to the size of the wheel opening and the proportion of the opening to the car. I can remember thinking how aweful a 20-inch wheel would look on a 'Vette and now, especially the style on the ZR1, I think it looks great. I don't think I'll go more than 20s on mine (I'm planning on staggering C6 ZR1s anyways).

But hey, to each his own and it's not like it's my money.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
Silver Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhomer View Post
Them 19's on the Corvette have way more mass than the 21's on the camaro. But yes too big is bad, too little isn't good either.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
i wonder if good ol 15's will fit for the dragstrip... front and rear?
need more sidewall for launching but those mega brakes might be too big.
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #14
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Them 19's on the Corvette have way more mass than the 21's on the camaro. But yes too big is bad, too little isn't good either.
Each car has different needs, but too much weight is never good.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
How do you know this? I'm not trying to be smart, I just find it hard to believe that a 21" cast wheel is lighter than a 19" forged.

The 19 inch wheel has a circumference of 59.7". Multiply that by its width (10" I think?) and you get a surface area of 597 for the hoop.

The 21 inch wheel has a circumference of 66". Multiply that by its width (9.5" I think for the back) and you get a surface area of 627.

Take into account that there's less spoke material required to make the 19" than the 21" and the fact that they Corvette wheels are forged (lighter), and I find it hard to believe the 19's have "way more mass" than the 21's.

Just my .02

But back to the thread topic, cars these days are being made with larger wheel wells, so require larger wheels to fill them up. This somewhat hides the proportionality imbalance of a 22" wheel to a relatively small 2-door car, which I think is a shame. The 18's on the GS concept don't really fill the wells, so I'm thinking some lightweight forged 19's should work just fine.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #16
beowulf80

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS MT, IBM
^^^
Good start here. However, mass is based on volume, not surface area. So to properly compare them, we'd have to know how thick the metal is on both wheels.

For forge vs. cast: Forged is typically stronger than cast, but spoke design should play a role here too. For two identically shaped parts, with the same thicknesses; the process which made them should have almost no effect on the final mass, unless the forge comression significantly altered the steel's density. What you can do by forging a part is generally make it thinner. How much depends on the geometry and who engineered it.
beowulf80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
Silver Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
How do you know this? I'm not trying to be smart, I just find it hard to believe that a 21" cast wheel is lighter than a 19" forged.

The 19 inch wheel has a circumference of 59.7". Multiply that by its width (10" I think?) and you get a surface area of 597 for the hoop.

The 21 inch wheel has a circumference of 66". Multiply that by its width (9.5" I think for the back) and you get a surface area of 627.

Take into account that there's less spoke material required to make the 19" than the 21" and the fact that they Corvette wheels are forged (lighter), and I find it hard to believe the 19's have "way more mass" than the 21's.

Just my .02

But back to the thread topic, cars these days are being made with larger wheel wells, so require larger wheels to fill them up. This somewhat hides the proportionality imbalance of a 22" wheel to a relatively small 2-door car, which I think is a shame. The 18's on the GS concept don't really fill the wells, so I'm thinking some lightweight forged 19's should work just fine.
Nice and I would not argue with that. I had in my head the Z06 wheels which are 2 inches wider. Whenever I think vette that is what I picture (my bad). Also "way more" was exagurated. Thanks for the breakdown! I still don't understand why the feel to get larger wheel to fill wheel well. Whatever happen to the profile of the tire. The 20's are a pretty descent profile, but the 19's or even 18's with a little larger profile still would fill the wheel wells IMO. I agree the stock 18's doesn't work very well, but I a sure there would be a better package of tire and wheel in the 18 in category that would look just fine. The koni challenge camaro has 18's on it, and I think it looks good, and you could go with a larger profile tire if you want wells filled and I think that setup might just look pretty damn good! Just a thought!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #18
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
I believe the trend toward larger wheels is proportional to the use of less rubber on the tires, and with smaller tires comes a smoother ride. 18-20 inch wheels on cars such as the Camaro and Charger brings this need toward the front. To have balloon tires would actually hurt the ride quality and possibly lateral grip as well. So shrink the tires and enlarge the rims..

Problem solved.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Silver Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
I believe the trend toward larger wheels is proportional to the use of less rubber on the tires, and with smaller tires comes a smoother ride. 18-20 inch wheels on cars such as the Camaro and Charger brings this need toward the front. To have balloon tires would actually hurt the ride quality and possibly lateral grip as well. So shrink the tires and enlarge the rims..

[COLOR="black"]Problem solved[/COLOR].
Problem not solved lol. I think that we are far away from ballooning the tires. And that small profile will hinder your launch. More profile will give you better launch. So again, it depends on what you are looking for. Yes a small profile is better for lateral grip, but not everyone is gonna be autocrossing, most people probably will be straight lining it. Regardless of what you are doing, there are different setups for different scenarios.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #20
shank0668

Drives: 1998 Sahara
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
? 20's yes no?
Attached Images

shank0668 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #21
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
? 20's yes no?
I'll allow it

Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #22
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf80 View Post
^^^
Good start here. However, mass is based on volume, not surface area. So to properly compare them, we'd have to know how thick the metal is on both wheels.

For forge vs. cast: Forged is typically stronger than cast, but spoke design should play a role here too. For two identically shaped parts, with the same thicknesses; the process which made them should have almost no effect on the final mass, unless the forge comression significantly altered the steel's density. What you can do by forging a part is generally make it thinner. How much depends on the geometry and who engineered it.
I understand it's based on volume, not surface area, but short of dropping both wheels in a tub of water and measuring the amount of water displaced, I figured that would be a simple example of how the 20" wheel's circumference leads to more mass by showing that the area is greater, which, in theory, would mean the volume is also greater. Nice catch though!
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #23
ClownGames08

Drives: 69 z28/ 69 572/ 2010 BBEE LPE
22" Wheels on My LPE 650hp Camaro

My new Ride just arrived home from the lab
Attached Images

ClownGames08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #24
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
sometimes, you just have to have a bigger wheel to clear the brakes. yeah, they managed to squeeze 18s on the GS concept, but that's the smallest you can go. (for the 15"-16" fans) i do think that much bigger than 21" is just too much, though, but plenty of people believe otherwise, so that's why big wheels keep selling. my SS is gonna have a nice set of light-weight 19s & tires with a sidewall you can actually see.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #25
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
So much of this all just depends. Someone mentioned 22's on a hummer- I don't think that looks good because it takes away from the abilities of a hummer.

I'm on a Dodge Truck forum alot and the 20inch vs 17inch is brought up alot. Alot of the guys with 20s have gone to 17s for offroading or towing- or they've gone the other route to 22s for street looks. I guess either can be OK on a truck, but on a vehicle truly designed for off road 22s look silly.

I'd rather have 19's than 21s on a Camaro personally and lower the car an inch.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote