Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
breheiser

Drives: 2011 Black LS A6
Rotofab Install

So my Rotofab came yesterday, woke up early before work to install it first thing. Materials are all top notch, extremely good quality. Install was a breeze (even though this was my first ever engine type mod), all in all it took about an hour simply because i really took my time and made sure everything was correct. The most difficult part was getting the heatshield to align with both the grommet and the bolt, but with alittle coaxing it went right in. I have to say i do feel a difference in the low end (although its 90 degrees here today so im not sure how much of an effect that will have on it). Also the sound is incredible, i read reviews where people said the sound was awesome, but i really cant put it into words. Truly AWESOME! thanks rotofab for makig such a quality product. Anyone on the fence about buying one shouldnt think twice......just buy it!
pics below
Attached Images

breheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
nice write up. lookin good =) im sure it sounds great
Old 04-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Thanks for the feedback! It's always awesome to hear from someone that doesn't do alot of weekend wrenching and modifying. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there curious how the install would go for them.
I drive a V6 car as well, so I know what you mean about the feel and sound-it's awesome and more fun to drive!
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Ten33

Drives: 2011 2LT RS CGM
I'm trying to hold off and put the funds together for this one. I can spend alot less and get the K&N, but I know in my heart the Roto-Fab is better all around. Did you get the oil or dry filter, and what is the advantage of one over the other?
Ten33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Ten33

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like the Roto-Fab was overpriced, I know it's not.. I work in law enforcement, our budget was cut AND we had to pay back last year's raises..ouch! So I have to plan carefully on my mods for a bit, but at least I still have a job.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
breheiser

Drives: 2011 Black LS A6
WOW that blows sorry to hear about the cutbacks. Although you're right just having a job these days is a blessing.

I went with the dry filter for a few reasons: I like the look of the grey filter better, and its much easier to maintain. Some have said the oiled filter has better performance results, but honestly im EXTREMELY happy with this one as is and would change a thing about it.

If your going to get one, i would hold off on the K&N as the rotofab is worth every penny. Like they say, you get what you pay for!
breheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
At least you didn't have to give your Camaro back!!!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
I've installed a K&N twice within 3 weeks and I got a CEl each time....I have some doubts about the design and the quality of materails used....all cheap plastics as far as I'm concern....and the heath shield does not allow air to come through the filter. The only air coming in is from the frame and it's about less that half of a human hand all together. Heat shield is a good idea, but it must leave some air coming in which K&N desing do't seem to leave...????
Old 04-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
Ten33

The more I read, I see problems with the CEL and the K&N. Roto-Fab looks alot better and is obviously built to out perform. Luckily I traded in a paid off Chrysler 300 towards the Camaro before the budget hit, so I'm safe keeping her. Lol
Thanks for this thread and all of your input, this has helped me alot.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten33 View Post
I'm trying to hold off and put the funds together for this one. I can spend alot less and get the K&N, but I know in my heart the Roto-Fab is better all around. Did you get the oil or dry filter, and what is the advantage of one over the other?
Roto-fab CAI, dry filter vs. oil filter
Both filters are American made and will last the life of your vehicle, although they do require routine maintenance. Our oil filters are made by S & B filters and our dry filters are made by AFE. We will summarize the maintenance of each as well as the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Oil filter-

With oil type filters the main concern tends to be the possibility of oil entering the air stream and contaminating the MAF sensor. This is a legitimate concern and can happen if the filter is over oiled. Our oil filters do come pre-oiled, so you don't have to worry about oiling for 10K or so.
The first step in maintaining the filter is to clean it thoroughly with the solution provided in a filter service kit. Service kits are available through us or simply buy one at a local parts store. Allow the filter to air dry thoroughly before the oiling process. When it isn't possible to meter the amount of oil being applied to the filter (such as with oil in a spray can) it's better to oil the filter very sparingly leaving some bare areas. Allow this oil to "wick" outward for about 5 minutes, then repeat the process-again oiling sparingly.

Benefits of the oil filter

More power-this filter flows more air which means it makes slightly more power. Strongly recommended with modifications such as heads/cam, S/C, etc.

Less $- with our intake systems, the oil filter is standard and the dry is a $12 option

Dry filter-

Dry filters have no possibility of contaminating the MAF sensor with oil-one less thing to worry about in life! Also, they are a little easier to maintain in that you don't need to have filter oil and a specific cleaning solution. AFE does have service kits available. However, you can give them a quick clean-up with a shop vac or lightly knocking filter against something. The filter can be washed in a cleaning solution such as laundry detergent. Allow the filter to air dry! This is a cotton element and will shrink just like a cotton t-shirt if heat is applied. When this happens, the element can actually pull away from the end cap.

Benefits of the dry filter-

Piece of mind-no concern about oil on the sensor.

Better air flow than the stock air element (although less than oil filters)

Slightly more efficient filtration than the oil filter

Some like the white filter appearance over the traditional maroon

To summarize, if power is everything to you-go with the oil filter. The oil filter gives you the most power at a lower cost. If you want good performance, superior filtration and don't want to worry about the whole oil issue, the dry filter is a better choice for you. I hope this helps you make a more informed decision and thank you for considering our products.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
The Roto-Fab was easy enough for me to install, and no CEL. I love the sound and performance I've gotten, well worth what it cost me!

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
Ten33

Thanks Roto-Fab, for taking the time to explain in such detail. I can see why you constantly get kudos for your customer sevice...Sure makes my decision a lot easier!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten33 View Post
Thanks Roto-Fab, for taking the time to explain in such detail. I can see why you constantly get kudos for your customer sevice...Sure makes my decision a lot easier!
No problem at all. We try to make sure all questions are addressed and taken seriously. That goes for before and after the sale!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
J.L.TYCHE
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2011 Corvette
You may want to get the Carbin Fiber Tubes
Attached Images

J.L.TYCHE is offline   Reply With Quote