Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
slacker
Troubled 40 something

Drives: 2010 IOM RS/SS M6
I sold my Camaro and it was tough

Well, I had to sell my Camaro. I wasn't going to post this, but there is a story to this. I hurt my back 3 months ago and it's just been sitting in the garage. I have owned and sold a lot of cars in my lifetime (even a 69 RS Camaro and a few Grand Nationals), and I have never felt about a car like I did this one.

My mom cried when I told her, and not fake tears, real ones. She fell in LOVE with my car when I took it over and showed her. With back issues (and those with this affliction can attest) I couldn't push the clutch in- 6 speed manual. I know people will say "Get an auto", but I don't think it will ever be the same.

Chevrolet, you built something special with this car. I can't describe what it is, but the last 2 years of owning it really were great. Thanks.

PS- I wanted to keep one of the keys. Not for sentimental reasons, but so I could click it. Damn it, that is an affliction thats hard to get over.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Sorry man... my dad has back issues... lifted his motorcycle over the hood of his car when he was young, dumb and full... well you know the rest. Been battling it ever since.... been 40 years now.

I hurt my back playing baseball when I was 13. Didnt tell anyone. Finally at 30 I got tired of dealing with it, went to the doctor... here I have a birth defect and one of my vertebrae (SP?) is like 5mm out of wack... nothing going to kill me but I have to watch what I do.

I feel for you and the pain you have IT SUCKS. Whne mine acts up, I cant bend over to pick anything up, thankfully it doesnt effect my driving but it effects my sleeping :(

As for the automatic... I am sure it would be close to the same.... give it some time and maybe go drive one.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I feel for you, I really do ... I've been thinking of trading mine in on an auto. I messed up my right shoulder a couple years a go, and it still gives me fits with 24/7 pain. I've had every test you can think of, but the doctors can't find anything wrong. I guess at almost 60 now, parts just don't heal so good any more. I'll never give up driving, I'll just have to make adjustments to what I drive ...
Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Drives: 650 HP Forged Internals-549 HP rear
Get an auto- NOW!! I got one because of losing left leg in a motorcycle accident. A car's clutch would be way to much pressure (For me any ways) on the remaining part of my leg, even with a prosthetic. Didn't stop me. I'm 6'2", 270 lb, bum left leg, and still ordered a new Camaro (Way-early order-R6P'r) without even knowing if I would fit, or be able to get in and out.

I've had minimal to no problems at all. And I'll tell you what; driving a 650+HP, heavily modified automatic Camaro is a freakin blast. And I still ride my current Harley with floor boards and a heel/toe shifter (Neat looking on a Softail Duece).

Where theres a will, theres a way.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Seriously man, get an auto. I had the choice and still chose the auto. It has been around for years in the corvettes, it has 3 modes including Tapshift to play with, can be tuned to be even better and is all around a winner!!

It handles HP mods much better than the stick without the need to immediately upgrade the clutch. Piece of cake to launch with minimal wheel hop.

Nothin' to it, but to DO IT!!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Your really should get an auto.
I know several guys with your issue (also knee problems) that purchased an automatic for that reason.

The auto is a great car. You can also use the tap shifts if you really want to shift the car yourself. The taps shifts can also be tuned to automatically downshift at pre-determined speeds. My tuner set my car up to automatically drop to 1st gear below 5mph while using the tap shifts. On stock L99 A6s, normally it only drops to 2nd gear from a stop using the tap shifts.

Also, with a few basic mods, the automatic hauls axx.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Special Edition
I'm in the same boat RavensJeff is in, I also lost my leg in a motorcycle accident and I wouldn't pass up the oppurtunity to drive this awesome car from Chevy. Do yourself a favor and drive one with an automatic and have some fun.
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
thats horrible, but why totally deprive yourself?? sure it wont be the same, but an auto can be a blast too!
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
After being tore up in a motorcycle accident, I bought an A6... I love it!!!!

DO IT!!!
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
nycoupe11

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs Summit White
Wow man I got choked up for you .. I am getting my Camaro end of may and I just washed my current car for the last time this weekend and I cried.. Been through alot. Hope everything turns out well for you
nycoupe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Slacker.....sorry to hear this. but seriously, get an auto, and I say this because I was in the same boat starting 6 years ago on May 20th. I was in an accident, not my fault by the way, cracked my scull in the process, I didn't wake up till 12 days later and didn't know what happened, and when I did wake up, I couldn't walk or talk, and had little use of my right arm. I was in the hospital for another month relearning how to walk and talk....after that monthy, I walked out, but it was'nt the same. I have very little feeling in my whole right side, although everything works, I really can't use right foot in the classic way, such that driving a manual was out of the question, and not having that feeking in my arm, made shifting almost impossible too, I would have to look at my hand to know exactly what it was doing, I couldn't FEEL the gears. EVERY car I owned was a manual, all three, one for my wife, two for me......I eneded up having to sell both of them and get something with a AUTO if I even wanted to drive. SO, YES, I feel your pain, but don't go without, maybe its not the same, but its better than doing without.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
Im so sorry. :(

But like everyone is saying, get an auto!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
Well, I had to sell my Camaro. I wasn't going to post this, but there is a story to this. I hurt my back 3 months ago and it's just been sitting in the garage. I have owned and sold a lot of cars in my lifetime (even a 69 RS Camaro and a few Grand Nationals), and I have never felt about a car like I did this one.

My mom cried when I told her, and not fake tears, real ones. She fell in LOVE with my car when I took it over and showed her. With back issues (and those with this affliction can attest) I couldn't push the clutch in- 6 speed manual. I know people will say "Get an auto", but I don't think it will ever be the same.

Chevrolet, you built something special with this car. I can't describe what it is, but the last 2 years of owning it really were great. Thanks.

PS- I wanted to keep one of the keys. Not for sentimental reasons, but so I could click it. Damn it, that is an affliction thats hard to get over.
I can really feel for you. I sold my car cause my grandma moved in with us and i wasn't able to use my car anymore. I ended up having to take the jeep everywhere cause she had problems getting in and out of my car and only four could sit in the camaro. I was extremely sad when I sold it. It was my first car. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about it. The day we sold my car and came home my mom burst out in tears too. I was like mom why are you crying? She said it feels like we lost a family member. I was like, stop your gonna make me cry. I never knew my family was so attached to my car. I thought I was the only one. So the other day I was talking with my dad and a 2012 Camaro might be making its way into my garage again early next year. Im so excited!
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
So sorry to hear about your back problems & having to sell your car. But like everyone else is saying. You have to get an auto. This car is more fun to drive than anything else out there. Even the V6 is simply a blast & mods make them even better. Go for it.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Get an auto, then get it tuned along with all the mods and drive with the paddle shifters all the time, trust me it is fun, I have owned many Camaros and my 5th gen L99 is my favorite.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
He must be out at the dealer ordering an L99... no replys yet from the OP!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
Mark's SS

Drives: 2012 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4
Hey Slacker,
I am in the same position as you with my back. It has been that way for the last two years. In fact, I will be having back surgery very soon (second one). So I know about the pain. Words cannot describe it.
This time it has really slowed me down. There for awhile I couldn't even drive. But now as long as I take it easy and watch what I do (which is hard for someone like me. Not being able to do what you want sucks) I can still drive the Camaro A6 just fine. In fact, it is the most comfortable ride that I have driven. I wouldn't trade it for anything and I don't think it is any less fun than the manual transmission.
So, as others have said, if the manual is too hard on you get the auto. You won't be disappointed. And you can still have that permagrin.
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Get the auto man. My back has been jacked up since 06' and my right shoulder had a torn rotator cuff in 08' i never got surgery for. I just did physical therapy for 6 months and it healed well enough to not bother me most of the time. Anyways, i love my L99 and have no pain issues in the car. Working on it is another story.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #19
nancygrl
155 mil na godzinę

Drives: Sapphire Moon Whisper 2013 2LT
Sorry about your back problem. I also know what you're going thru, it's difficult I know. Yeah, an Auto may not be the same, but certainly better than doing without. I've always said if or when I can't shift anymore, I'll just trade her in and get an Auto. If having to drive an Auto, other than a corvette I don't know of any other car I would rather drive than a Camaro.

Gone but not forgotten....2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 6M.......Traded 8/2013
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
CamaroSSRSL99
Heartbeat of America

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS, 1967 Camaro
Have you driven an L99? DO IT! Use the tap shifters and sports mode. Then when you realize "WOW!!!", go buy one. The main reason that I didn't buy a manual is because of my back. There was no way I was going to go without a Camaro, if I was still able to drive an automatic. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
paultheman2007
SWFLGENS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
There is nothing wrong with Today AUTO in sports Car i mean they make auto for people who either cant drive Manual or they are tired of shifting so much AUTO can get as much HP as a MANUAL in today world

SWFLGENS on facebook.
paultheman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #22
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Sorry man... my dad has back issues... lifted his motorcycle over the hood of his car when he was young, dumb and full... well you know the rest. Been battling it ever since.... been 40 years now.

I hurt my back playing baseball when I was 13. Didnt tell anyone. Finally at 30 I got tired of dealing with it, went to the doctor... here I have a birth defect and one of my vertebrae (SP?) is like 5mm out of wack... nothing going to kill me but I have to watch what I do.

I feel for you and the pain you have IT SUCKS. Whne mine acts up, I cant bend over to pick anything up, thankfully it doesnt effect my driving but it effects my sleeping :(

As for the automatic... I am sure it would be close to the same.... give it some time and maybe go drive one.
I also have a slipped vertebrae ,When it acts up I get referred pain in my left ankle.I have been getting deep tissue massages and hanging upside down on an inversion table.Doing these two things seems to keep it in check.
Anyway for this reason I have an automatic trans.
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #23
Mark's SS

There seems to be allot of messed up Camaro owners out there. I guess that is what we get for working hard all of our lives so that we can have nice things like our Cars.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #24
slacker
Troubled 40 something

Drives: 2010 IOM RS/SS M6
Thanks for the support. I guess I'll have to try the auto then, I just don't know. I've had the 6 speed for 2 years and really had it down pat. I actually had them pull the Hurst shifter and Heritage Grill off the car before I sold it...just in case Either way, it's going to be a while before I can even sit in a Camaro I think. I went to Houston today and found myself looking at every Camaro I saw to make sure it wasn't mine....even though I sold it, I still think of it as mine!

Isn't the ZL1 going to offer an auto? Maybe if I my wife is sorry enough for me she will look the other way for that..

I feel bad for ANYONE with disc injuries. I never really knew how much it could hurt, but the last 3 months have been terrible. I'm trying to motor through the pain so I can avoid surgury!

Pics of her before she left me:
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #25
Mark's SS

Nice looking ride. My son just bought a 2SS Summit White with IOM stripes and IOM interior.
The little ****! I had to wait allot of years for mine and he is only 21. Something is wrong with this picture.