Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Speedy jumps ship - bought the Challenger

It was a tough decision, but after having issue with local dealers not wanting to honor my GSU discount nor wiggle on MSRP price at all with some charging $2500 to $5000 over MSRP for the Camaro, I started more seriously considering the Challenger. I always liked the looks, but was drawn to the higher performance of the Camaro.

However, when EPP+ was announced, it really got my attention again. Now the price gap betwen a Camaro and a Challenger became VERY significant. MSRP vs. MSRP, I'd say the Camaro is a better deal, however throw in all the rebates, discounts, Employee Pricing, and 0% financing on the Challenger and the gap became very close.

I'm one of those guys that doesn't "push" on things like this. I'm a religious guy so I figure if it's meant to work out it just will. In my case, a Hemi Orange Challenger just happened to be showing up at a dealership the very next day I was there talking to them. The car had been on order since June 2008 and just got to the dealer yesterday. It was the only Hemi Orange within 1000 miles of me according to Vehix that had the options I wanted.

They made me an offer I just couldn't refuse on the price making it about $6000 less than an equally equiped Camaro, as well as 0% financing for 48 mos. In a year or two, these deals might be available for the Camaro as well, assuming GM stays a float, but I just didn't wanna risk not getting to own a muscle car at some time in my life.

After driving the car around for a day, I think it fits my personality a little better than the Camaro as well. The Challenger is straight up muscle car and looks the part. The Camaro is part muscle car and part sports car, but I'd say more sports car in appearance.

I've never owned a Dodge before, so I hope I have good luck with it. The lifetime power train warranty is a cool feature, but with the mods I plan to do I'm not sure it'll be worth anything to me anyway. So far I really like all the features, and have always liked the interior lay out better than that of the Camaro, except for the Camaros 4 pack gauges which are pretty cool.

I'll still pop in from time to time and look forward to seeing some Camaros out on the road.

Here's what I ended up with:
2009 Challenger R/T Hemi Orange with R/T Hood Stripes
27J Package (leather and all that jazz)
6 speed manual trans
Track Pack
Sound Group II
20" Wheel Upgrade which includes performance brakes and 3.92 gear ratio
Electronic Convenience Group
HID Headlamps

The only down side...it's obviously going to be a cop magnet. I wasn't 5 miles from the dealership after picking it up and already had the popo on my arse.

The exhaust is quite loud for a stock car. I guess that's what got his attention.

I hope you guys aren't too mad at me, but the economics were just too good to pass up.

Finally, I'd encourage you guys to be careful with your money on ordering Camaros. There are A LOT of guys on the Challenger forum that are having buyers remorse. They paid MSRP or higher for their cars, put in orders, etc and still haven't received their vehicles. I walked on a lot and drove mine home for thousands less. Patience pays fellas.
Attached Images

Last edited by Speedy1975; 02-28-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Melson

Drives: Wild Cherry
Congrats!
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
Nice buy...congrats!! I don't blame you one bit for jumping ship to this vehicle....the Challenger is a sweet ride!!

Enjoy! I'd invest in a radar detector and a laser jammer quickly!! (if they are legal in your area)
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Rockies4

Drives: PT Cruiser 02
Sweet ride. Good luck this year.
Rockies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Very nice ride...I like them a lot! Congrats!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Paintcode40

Drives: Silver Chevy
Cool

Congrats!

Name:  pc40sig.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  17.4 KB
Paintcode40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
...I've never owned a Dodge before, so I hope I have good luck with it. The lifetime power train warranty is a cool feature, but with the mods I plan to do I'm not sure it'll be worth anything to me anyway. ...
Congrats on your new purchase!

A bit of advice on Dodge/Chrysler products, based on my experiences (owned a Dodge Stratus, two PT Cruisers, and best friend owns one of the Hemi Ram trucks)...Buy an extended warranty for the entire vehicle and don't mess with the powertrain so your lifetime warranty stays valid. None of my Dodge/Chrysler products held up to 100k miles without some major and expensive repairs needed. Almost lost an entire PT due to fire when there was a short in the multi-function stick (lights,wipers,turn signal).

Enjoy your new toy and thanks for buying from Chrysler - maybe I'll get some of my tax dollars back from them at some point in the future.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
bigjohns97

Drives: 2011 5.0
Congrats !! looks good..
bigjohns97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
How large is the Challenger compared to the Camaro? It looks enormous in those pictures. Those 20" wheels look like 18"!

But nice ride man...can't knock the Challenger. If it wasn't for the few hundred pounds of extra mass I'd be considering one too.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
You get no simpathy from me, you made you bed NOW LIE IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J/K, nice car. That would be my ride if the Camaro wasn't coming.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
nice man, I can wait to finally get a new car.

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
.....Patience pays fellas.
Yes it does....I'm really going to enjoy having waited for my CAMARO!!

But honestly....gratz on the car. I can't say anything negative about someone getting a great AMERICAN muscle car. It's gonna be an awesome summer with all the Challengers, Mustangs, and Camaros battling it out again.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #13
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Congrats on your new purchase!

A bit of advice on Dodge/Chrysler products, based on my experiences (owned a Dodge Stratus, two PT Cruisers, and best friend owns one of the Hemi Ram trucks)...Buy an extended warranty for the entire vehicle and don't mess with the powertrain so your lifetime warranty stays valid. None of my Dodge/Chrysler products held up to 100k miles without some major and expensive repairs needed. Almost lost an entire PT due to fire when there was a short in the multi-function stick (lights,wipers,turn signal).

Enjoy your new toy and thanks for buying from Chrysler - maybe I'll get some of my tax dollars back from them at some point in the future.
They offered a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty, but I'm pretty good with a wrench, and typically modify everything I buy. This will be a weekend warrior only, so it won't get very many miles anyway.

As for the tax thing....that was something else that kinda stood out. With Chrysler Financial offering 0% for 48 mos it made me "feel" like they were giving back a little after taking some bail out money. I know it's probably just perception, but that's how I felt anyway. They also gave an additional $1000 rebate just to finance with them. It was a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
How large is the Challenger compared to the Camaro? It looks enormous in those pictures. Those 20" wheels look like 18"!

But nice ride man...can't knock the Challenger. If it wasn't for the few hundred pounds of extra mass I'd be considering one too.
According to Edmunds the R/T has a curb weight of 4041 lbs. I think the Camaro 2SS/RS is 3800 supposedly? So the weight isn't that much different. However the car is a decent size. I expected the hood to weigh a ton, but when I opened it it's very light weight. I believe it's made of aluminum, as wella s the trunk deck. Driving the car it doesn't feel big at all, but comfortable. You don't notice the size until you put it in the garage, then you notice it, but like I said, it screams muscle car and they were larger cars.

I've seen numbers all over the place for the HP of the R/T 6 speed, but Edmunds says 372HP and 401 ft/lbs of torque. However, some guys on the Challenger forums have dyno'd theirs and it seems they're more than 372...but as they say all dynos are different.

I've found a guy that did similar mods that I plan such as LT headers, cat back, and CAI and he put down 372 at the wheels on the dyno with just those mods.

Another added a blower and put down 467 at the wheels on the 5.7L as well.

So it seems these motors have a lot of head room. I'm sure the Camaro will be the same way and you guys should be pushing 400 at the wheels pretty easy.

Finally, the thing is a chick MAGNET! I thought my motorcycle was bad enough, I had 4 different gals holler at me on the way home. Funny thing was my girl friend was riding shot gun and she was cracking up. Girls would pull up at a red light and roll their windows down to say something to me. I'd crack my window and they'd see Renee' in the passenger seat and immeidately roll their windows back up. We got a kick outta that. Renee' warned me I'd better not be picking up girls in that car

Thanks for not chastising me for jumping ship.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Nice car there Speedy,That wheel upgrade gets you a 3:92 gear? that should make that car scoot. good luck with your new toy.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote