Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
RobSS

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Walbro Pump instead of BAP????

Just trying to get some knowledge on this fuel pump. Why would I buy a BAP for $250 when I can get a Walbro pump for 125? Just wanting peoples input here. Thanks
RobSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Really? didn't know they were that cheap. I'm positive that the install of a BAP is much simpler than a new pump though.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #3
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
I am in no way an expert here but from what I have gathered so far, you cant just drop in an aftermarket pump. Most aftermarket pumps will not be compatible due to the way the Camaro fuel control system electronically modulates flow/pressure. Aftermarket pumps will not work on a vehicle system that uses pulse width modulation to control the pump output. It's not just a drop-in affair or people would not be spending a grand or more on adding fuel pump upgrades.

You can add an aftermarket pump and return line style fuel system and re-engineer the whole fuel supply including dealing with the electronic control module. Aftermarket pump install is FAR from easy and cheap. No HP limit - just keep upping the system until you have more than enough fuel.

You can keep the factory returnless style system and buy compatible pumps (from other GM applications) and install those upgrades. GM pump style upgrades are sort of easy, somewhat expensive and they are very reliable. More HP potential than a boost a pump.

Boost a pump is easier and cheaper but you can only go just a bit more HP before the BAP runs out of potential. Some would question reliability.

I am sure you will get a better answer from someone who knows this stuff more than I do but this is pretty close.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
RobSS

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
thanks Mark
RobSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
I am in no way an expert here but from what I have gathered so far, you cant just drop in an aftermarket pump. Most aftermarket pumps will not be compatible due to the way the Camaro fuel control system electronically modulates flow/pressure. Aftermarket pumps will not work on a vehicle system that uses pulse width modulation to control the pump output. It's not just a drop-in affair or people would not be spending a grand or more on adding fuel pump upgrades.

You can add an aftermarket pump and return line style fuel system and re-engineer the whole fuel supply including dealing with the electronic control module. Aftermarket pump install is FAR from easy and cheap. No HP limit - just keep upping the system until you have more than enough fuel.

You can keep the factory returnless style system and buy compatible pumps (from other GM applications) and install those upgrades. GM pump style upgrades are sort of easy, somewhat expensive and they are very reliable. More HP potential than a boost a pump.

Boost a pump is easier and cheaper but you can only go just a bit more HP before the BAP runs out of potential. Some would question reliability.

I am sure you will get a better answer from someone who knows this stuff more than I do but this is pretty close.

-Mark.
+1 mark as just about said it all.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote