Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs
 
SSOOCH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 7,355
Less powerful V6 and I-4 still considered according to R&T

I just got the April Road and Track. On page 16 they discuss that a weaker V6 could still be used for future Camaros. They talk about a direct inject 3.0 liter V6 that only puts out 255hp. Also considered is a 2.4 I-4 turbo charged power plant for it's base model.

Just thought I'd share what I found.
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Muscle Master
SS Lightning
 
Muscle Master's Avatar
 
Drives: An SRT8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Posts: 2,285
Gm probably thinks the 3.6 DI LLT is too good for the LS trim

__________________

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,407
Yeah, you will find numerous threads on this. We have a lot of people that were fine with it. And a lot that were appalled at the very thought of it. But those are old threads and we have a lot of new members who probably didn't know this... Lets see what they say?
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
Muscle Master
SS Lightning
 
Muscle Master's Avatar
 
Drives: An SRT8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Yeah, you will find numerous threads on this. We have a lot of people that were fine with it. And a lot that were appalled at the very thought of it. But those are old threads and we have a lot of new members who probably didn't know this... Lets see what they say?
This is going to be a long thread ...
__________________

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,407
LOL, the others were long threads too I personally think if the I4 happened the car would have to of been lightened up. Something had got to give Thus is why it didn't happen.
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs
 
SSOOCH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 7,355
I remember those old threads as well. But it makes a little more sense now. Now that the General is having to answer to the Chodes in Washington.
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
I-4 wont be going into the camaro.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,407
Yeah, I know. I'll edit my last post. My bad.
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Paintcode40
 
Paintcode40's Avatar
 
Drives: Silver Chevy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 139
Cool

When all the V8's are gone.
Paintcode40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcode40 View Post
When all the V8's are gone.
not even then.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
camaropete
I love crepes
 
camaropete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,571
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Did I just enter the the Twilight Zone?
__________________
camaropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs
 
SSOOCH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 7,355
I don't see why so many people are opposed to the Ecotec I-4 Turbo Charged. It's a hot little motor. It's what's in my 08 HHR SS and that is one fun little car. It's the same powerplant that's also in the Cobalt SS. Chevy Cobalt set the Production FWD record on the Nurburgring Ring in Germany at 8:22. Old record holder was Mazdaspeed3 at 8:39. This took place in October 2008. If you're opposed to an I-4 in a Camaro, then you should be opposed to a V6 in a Camaro.
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I don't see why so many people are opposed to the Ecotec I-4 Turbo Charged. It's a hot little motor. It's what's in my 08 HHR SS and that is one fun little car. It's the same powerplant that's also in the Cobalt SS. Chevy Cobalt set the Production FWD record on the Nurburgring Ring in Germany at 8:22. Old record holder was Mazdaspeed3 at 8:39. This took place in October 2008. If you're opposed to an I-4 in a Camaro, then you should be opposed to a V6 in a Camaro.
thats wrong.

ever hear of the Iron Duke?


the I-4 was tested in the camaro. and performed worse than the LLT, by a large bit. which is why GM axed it from being a possibility in the Camaro. the motor is great, but I dont want one in the Camaro and neither does GM.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO, 15 Impala, 07 Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I don't see why so many people are opposed to the Ecotec I-4 Turbo Charged. It's a hot little motor. It's what's in my 08 HHR SS and that is one fun little car. It's the same powerplant that's also in the Cobalt SS. Chevy Cobalt set the Production FWD record on the Nurburgring Ring in Germany at 8:22. Old record holder was Mazdaspeed3 at 8:39. This took place in October 2008. If you're opposed to an I-4 in a Camaro, then you should be opposed to a V6 in a Camaro.
A smaller engine in a heavier car is not going to be as efficent.. Sorry But I have to disagree with you the HHRSS and the Cobalt SS weigh about 1000 pounds less than a Camaro.. Putting that engine in the Camaro will just cause it not to be a very efficent package...
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.