Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Raymonds Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 03-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
ChevyShark10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT "Desi" (CGM/black)
Question New Spark Plugs

My '10 Camaro v6 has around 82K miles on her already and I'm going to be looking into new spark plugs. Any advice? What tools (and sizes) am I going to need or what would be helpful in order to do this? And at what torque setting to tighten? I'm going to stick with OEM AC Delco iridium plugs. Thanks for any input as I've never had to replace spark plugs before. Google searches have returned nearly nothing I'm looking for.
ChevyShark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
granatl

Drives: 2SS RS ABM A6
I can't seem to find the torque specs for you. As you take the old ones out, you'll feel that they're in there firmly, but it's not like you have to stand on the ratchet to break them free either. When taking off the plug wires, you may need to give them an 1/8 turn twist to break the seal on both the plug and the coil.
You "should" change the plug wires too.
Put a small amount of anti-seize on the tip-end of the spark plug threads.
On both ends of the plug wire, put a pea-sized dollop of dielectric grease.
Iridium plugs come pre-gapped and are not to be re-gapped. But, you should at least get a feeler gauge and test the gap to be sure. If it's too wide, you'll get misfires at high RPM's or if it's too small your HP/MPG will suffer. If you drop one and it affects the gap, you might want to consider buying a new plug instead.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
V-6 don't have plug wires. There's really not a torque number, it's more of a feel. there is a metal ring that gets "crushed" when the plug is in tight. DON'T OVER TIGHTEN.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS CRT M6 Vert
The factory plugs use a tapered seat and do not have a crush washer. All the replacement plugs I saw were the same.

I found a good DYI on the internet with torque specs when I did mine, but I don't recall where it was. 14 ft-lbs comes to mind, but don't quote me. It's been a while since I replaced mine.

Iridium plugs may need to be gapped. It depends on the vendor. Just be sure to use a spark plug tool to adjust the arm and not pry or press on the iridium tip.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mark114; 03-26-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS
11 ftlbs
Hurst Billet + II shifter. Waiting to be installed Heritage Grill, Night Fury cam, Melling 10296 Oil pump, Katech CR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2 HD tensioner, PAC 1208x springs and Comp Cams trunion upgrade. American Racing 1 7/8" LT headers w/cats, and TWM full Shifter BMR sways, trailing arms, toe rods, delrin cradle bushings, BK039 rear control arm bushing kit, front suspension bushing kit,. GMPP exhaust
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #6
ChevyShark10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT "Desi" (CGM/black)
Thank you all! And what size spark plug socket will I need? Any tips on which tools to buy?
ChevyShark10 is offline   Reply With Quote