Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
What to do with new car before stripes

I'm picking up my Camaro next week. I plan on getting stripes painted on a few weeks after that. I want to get the paint ready for the stripes and was going to give it a wash and clay bar to get everything out of the paint so it's not sealed in. Can/ should I wax it or not? I also have some 303 protective for the convertible top. Should I wait on it until after the stripes. I don't want to put anything on it that will contaiminate it for the paint shop.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS
US Army Retired

Drives: IOM 2SS-RS - A6 (L99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
I'm picking up my Camaro next week. I plan on getting stripes painted on a few weeks after that. I want to get the paint ready for the stripes and was going to give it a wash and clay bar to get everything out of the paint so it's not sealed in. Can/ should I wax it or not? I also have some 303 protective for the convertible top. Should I wait on it until after the stripes. I don't want to put anything on it that will contaiminate it for the paint shop.
No need to do anything, if your having the stripes painted on the shop will have to sand the clearcoat off of the hood and trunk lid in order to prep it to paint the stripes on. Once that is done, they will paint the clearcoat back on.

Inferno Orange 2SS-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno Orange 2SS-RS View Post
No need to do anything, if your having the stripes painted on the shop will have to sand the clearcoat off of the hood and trunk lid in order to prep it to paint the stripes on. Once that is done, they will paint the clearcoat back on.
Mhm sounds about right. Though I'd see if they could clear the whole car. The factory clear coat is a little wimpy
Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
If I do put a coat of wax on it, it should be ok?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS
US Army Retired

Drives: IOM 2SS-RS - A6 (L99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
If I do put a coat of wax on it, it should be ok?
It will not hurt anything to do so.

Inferno Orange 2SS-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Best thing to do is talk to your painter... ultimately they'll be the ones to tell you what they want done, what prep they'll do, etc.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote