Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

tandtperformance.com
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 03-01-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
HeavyRightFooT

Drives: Z51 C6 LS3 Vette
Video: 30hp Exhaust gain on a LS3 Corvette

Hi Guys,

Was browsing Youtube and found this. Interesting to see how the LS3 benefits from a well thought exhaust setup . (in this case Kooks+ Corsa). Includes dino.

Hope the Camaro setups will allow for the same gains.

Mine will sure end up sounding close to this sooner or later

HeavyRightFooT

08 C6 z51 headers/vararam/tune/420-410/ccw sp550 19+20/Pzerro Nero 275-30-19F 305-30-20R --- to be traded for a Z28 ?
HeavyRightFooT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
:(

What's wrong with GM? In an LS3-equipped premium model, why would they fail at exhaust design, a science that should be very easy for them? The usual design compromises required on an inexpensive grocery getter don't apply to a C6, which is expected to be loud and expensive. In fact, they could even make it quiet and still not lose HP, without costing too much. It's just not that hard, which is why you can buy a new exhaust system for a few hundred bucks and bolt it on yourself...
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
tylermoore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/LS3 Victory Red
amen
all hail LS3
Old 03-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
There was no mention about tuning. Putting 1 7/8 headers on an LS3 requires tuning to keep everything nice and safe.
My GTO was dangerously lean without tuning with 1 7/8 headers.

So they may have (not mentioned) tuned the Vette for the new exhaust setup.

By the way my GTO made 36 rwhp (with tuning) with the same setup. And trust me, that setup is crazy loud.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post

What's wrong with GM? In an LS3-equipped premium model, why would they fail at exhaust design, a science that should be very easy for them? The usual design compromises required on an inexpensive grocery getter don't apply to a C6, which is expected to be loud and expensive. In fact, they could even make it quiet and still not lose HP, without costing too much. It's just not that hard, which is why you can buy a new exhaust system for a few hundred bucks and bolt it on yourself...
J/K right? Don't see the failure here. I have never seen or heard of a factory exhaust system that could not be topped by aftermarket. That is just the way it is.
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
J/K right? Don't see the failure here. I have never seen or heard of a factory exhaust system that could not be topped by aftermarket. That is just the way it is.
Not kidding at all. Those engineers aren't fools; in fact, they're some of the best engineers in the world. Therefore, you can't tell me that they're incapable of designing a decent exhaust system (but the guys at Corsa can, probably with less budget and less resources).

In so many other parts of the car, they put the best technology available -- it's not a cheap car, a grocery getter, a daily driver, or otherwise subject to the usual compromises for noise or cost. What reason would they have to give the C6 an exhaust that eats 30hp?
Quote:
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
Old 03-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
1320junkie
Account Suspended

Drives: The Imperial Army
I would take a stab and guess that the factory engineers are held to more stringent standards than the other guys. I.E. you can order somethings from GMPP that are stamped "off road" use only. Where as the other shops are way more lenient when it comes to that stuff. But I could be wrong
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Remember they have a fair number of other factors to take into consideration.

As mentioned without a tune you'd be running a bit (or maybe alot) lean, you now need to push more fuel in for that HP. mileage just took a dive.

Crazy loud is awesome, but then again it isnt. Not everyone wants to "HEAR" their car, and a fair larger number don't want to hear ours.

Larger exhaust does weigh more, people bitch about that too.
We pay more to put larger exhaust on they would to. Now yes they get a bump because they aren't replacing after build, but still.
As above if they put it on all vehicles then they hurt the fleet milage, If they don't they lose the volume buy and the price per unit of the option goes up again. In addition, beacuse they have to pay up front on a part that "might' not get used they have to incorporate some of that cost to vehicles that would't get it and the base price goes up.

Now for one part that may actually not be significant. But how many parts are there on a car that can be teaked, massaged or just outright swapped for a performace gain?

Builder engineers, are trying to mass market appeal. Unfortunately when you are trying to appeal to a large demographic and give everyone something they want you also give everyone something to hate.

The problem with trying to stay in the middle is you get shot at by both sides.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Not kidding at all. Those engineers aren't fools; in fact, they're some of the best engineers in the world. Therefore, you can't tell me that they're incapable of designing a decent exhaust system (but the guys at Corsa can, probably with less budget and less resources).

In so many other parts of the car, they put the best technology available -- it's not a cheap car, a grocery getter, a daily driver, or otherwise subject to the usual compromises for noise or cost. What reason would they have to give the C6 an exhaust that eats 30hp?
Not every person on the planet that purchases a corvette wants it rumble at 100dB. They also are forced to build a car that will run in -50 degree weather of northern canada, and 120+ degree weather of latin America. With the emissions testing and regulations on car manufacturers, its hard to offer systems like corsa and kooks.

I have met some of the corvette designers. They are intensely passionate, and very good at what they do.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
xfiremd

Drives: corvette
Who said GM couldn't design a this exhaust? We all know they could design it, there are many reasons why they wouldn't.

I have Kooks long tube headers and a corsa extreme cat-back on my 07 corvette between that, heads and a tune I picked up 60 rwhp. However, it has not be without compromise, even with an isolated tunnel brace I get more heat coming into the car from the center console, and I have not been able to get all of the popping out of the exhaust on decel.

Plus you can hear the exhaust valves, as headers are just not a quite as exhaust manifolds.

plus if you need more that 420 some hp in a vette, you can get a z06
xfiremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
theholycow

Thanks, now I get it. There are still some of the same compromises, even in a Corvette.
Quote:
Old 03-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
.... and, if the exhaust was perfect/loud fromthe factory, they wouldn't make any money selling their GMPP stuff would they?

.... and remember, exhaust sound is a very personal thing. So no matter what it sounds like from factory, you can be guaranteed that it won't satisfy the majority.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:

You fail. Good day sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyRightFooT View Post
Hi Guys,

Was browsing Youtube and found this. Interesting to see how the LS3 benefits from a well thought exhaust setup . (in this case Kooks+ Corsa). Includes dino.

Hope the Camaro setups will allow for the same gains.

Mine will sure end up sounding close to this sooner or later

HeavyRightFooT
The cat-back nets very little gains. The NPP exhaust flows very well to begin with. 99% of that power came from the longtubes, HFCs, and the tune.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
1320junkie
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfiremd View Post

plus if you need more that 420 some hp in a vette, you can get a z06
You rang? lol I have American Racing Headers on my Z along with the 630 pkg from LPE. It's loud and i love it
Old 03-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
You rang? lol I have American Racing Headers on my Z along with the 630 pkg from LPE. It's loud and i love it
Or you can call up Paxton and be able to keep up with this guy without even having to pull the heads off......

Old 03-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
1320junkie
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Or you can call up Paxton and be able to keep up with this guy without even having to pull the heads off......

Now where is the fun in that?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #17
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Quote:
Now where is the fun in that?
Hell, I'm on your side. I'll probably never go FI on a car I own. But seeing what centrifugals make on LS motors at LOW (like 7-8 lbs) of boost; can't argue with that kind of power/dollar. Just sayin' is all.....
Old 03-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
1320junkie
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Hell, I'm on your side. I'll probably never go FI on a car I own. But seeing what centrifugals make on LS motors at LOW (like 7-8 lbs) of boost; can't argue with that kind of power/dollar. Just sayin' is all.....
lol I understand what you are saying. I guess I am just hardheaded when it comes to my cars..I dont like nitrous or forced induction, turbos etc..lol
Old 03-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
After seeing that video again, I'm liking Corsa more. I've heard it on a stock long block LS1 F-body and didn't really like it as much as other catbacks. It sounds really good though on the 'Vettes. They'll be a consideration for my car when the time comes.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #20
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
One of the most EROTIC feelings I ever had was in a Z06 with a Corsa exhaust.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #21
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
i've already decided on corsa if i can afford it... sounds sooo good.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #22
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
I love ARH headers. I had them on my goat with corsa sport. Sounded fantastic!
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #23
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Dang I just finished raving about how much I loved Flowmaster, but after watching that video.... NICE!!!
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote