Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #51
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
NICE!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #52
sixty9fordkiller
bowtie junkie

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not even shorties? Maybe just straight pipes from the manifolds back to the mufflers, then....

Though....I hate to say it, the ZL1's exhaust may very well get you pulled over in Cali Stock......

nah....my exhaust lossens fillings and dentures and i havent gotten pulled over yet. im sure dentists love me though. but a zl1 with headers??? itll shift the earth's axis of rotation by one or two degrees

sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #53
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
sweet!!

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #54
Camarodriver

Drives: 1975 Camaro, 2010 2LT, 2011/2SSrs
Send a message via ICQ to Camarodriver Send a message via MSN to Camarodriver Send a message via Skype™ to Camarodriver
Why does that sound oh, so suh-weet? Man oh, man.... That is one nice pop-a-t-pop!

The perma-grin effect pictured above by a good buddy giving me a ride in my Camaro!
Used 75 Camaro = $3500
Rolling restoration over 10 years = $5000
$5 of gas burned in 10 seconds = Priceless!
Camarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #55
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Oh man, I forgot I had these...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #56
FreddyG

Drives: C5 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronss View Post
i got the slp loudmouth 2 it sounds identical
Probably even louder than this one, if it's anything like the first loud mouth!

They sound great, but they have some volume to them, especially at WOT!

In that last vid, was that track prepped a little bit or what! You could hear the tires sticking to it! That's Nice and Thanks for the vids!
FreddyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #57
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not even shorties? Maybe just straight pipes from the manifolds back to the mufflers, then....

Though....I hate to say it, the ZL1's exhaust may very well get you pulled over in Cali Stock......
I might still do shorties, but only if they give a little more power. Sound-wise, I think I'm going to be fairly happy and not have to worry about another loud exhaust ticket, LOL. I'll be definately removing any resonators before the mufflers though, and see to it the pipes are 3-inch mandrel-bent. I love the looks, too. I'm thinking making the by-pass for the open setting completely sealed will be exactly what I'm looking for. If someone gets some CARB-shorties, I'll definately be giving them a look though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
I know what I am about to say will probably not go over well on this forum, but no matter what kind of exhaust you put on a GM V8, it will never sound as good as the exahust on a V8 Mustang. I know it's all to do with the firing order, but it still sad that GM's just sound loud versus good, IMHO.
I don't fault you for your opinion. Stock-for-stock though, I don't agree. Even will full exhaust, that 5.0 doesn't do it as much for me though. JMVHO.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #58
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I might still do shorties, but only if they give a little more power. Sound-wise, I think I'm going to be fairly happy and not have to worry about another loud exhaust ticket, LOL. I'll be definately removing any resonators before the mufflers though, and see to it the pipes are 3-inch mandrel-bent. I love the looks, too. I'm thinking making the by-pass for the open setting completely sealed will be exactly what I'm looking for. If someone gets some CARB-shorties, I'll definately be giving them a look though.
Mild to wild switch would be awesome
Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #59
KeeBee

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS, 70 1/2 SS Camaro
Sounds sweet. But my Harley is still louder.
KeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #60
Camaromonkey

Drives: 396 '75 Camaro, '01 2500 Silverado
I, for one, cannot wait to get mine in the garage and listen to her roar. It's a good thing I live so far from any neighbors. IMO, the ZL1 IS the best no matter what Ford has to offer.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #61
Robbie1227

Drives: 2010 Summit 2SS/RS M6
Looks like I will definitely be trading in my SS for one of those!
CAI with ADM Race Scoop
Corsa Cat Back Exhaust
Kooks 1 7/8" Jet Hot Coated LT headers and hi-flo cats
LSR Short Throw Shifter
Red Brembo Brakes, SSBrake lines, Castrol SRF, and Hawk HPS pads
Tuned by Torq (405 RWHP and 389 RWTQ)
Summit White GM GFX kit
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #62
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
I WANT ONE
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #63
PIANOMN
Epic; Winning!

Drives: 2010 1SS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1227 View Post
Looks like I will definitely be trading in my SS for one of those!
My wife has given me a very firm "NO" on trading in our 1SS ABM... However she has agreed to let me buy the ZL1 as long as I give her the ABM... As much as I love the color on my car I may just have to agree!! I hope they make some sort of lighter blue for the ZL1, and I wish they would offer the Atomic Orange Metallic found on corvettes... That would be the best looking color IMO
PIANOMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #64
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
I know what I am about to say will probably not go over well on this forum, but no matter what kind of exhaust you put on a GM V8, it will never sound as good as the exahust on a V8 Mustang. I know it's all to do with the firing order, but it still sad that GM's just sound loud versus good, IMHO.
Quote:

I don't fault you for your opinion. Stock-for-stock though, I don't agree. Even will full exhaust, that 5.0 doesn't do it as much for me though. JMVHO.

Totally agree, I think the 5.0 mustangs sounds good too but to say it blows away the Camaro just isn’t true. I think the stock exhaust on an SS is a little toned down and could use some tweaking (more on the “turn up the volume” end) but I believe GM is showing us what they can do with the ZL1.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #65
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I dunno, I think it sounds terrible.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #66
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaromonkey View Post
I, for one, cannot wait to get mine in the garage and listen to her roar. It's a good thing I live so far from any neighbors. IMO, the ZL1 IS the best no matter what Ford has to offer.
The Camaro pretty much always has been the better performing car over the Msutang, but just the 4th gen Camaros were butt ugly and didn't sell as well. 80's Camaros looked good but not as good as the Stangs. Still, they always outperformed the Mustangs.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #67
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxsX24 View Post
makes me wonder if it will be legal. GM might have them in "open"mode for now, maybe they will be quieter when closed
Nope. That's it - a working prototype!!

See...the fun part is, there's a drive-by test they must pass...and if I'm wrong please someone correct me...but I don't think the test is as wide-open throttle....so while you're cruising the valves are closed at the noise is awesome, but tame (both to eliminate some drone and pass the test)

On start-up, however, as seen in the video...flaps are open and the sound is glorious!!

Quote:
To each his own -- I'm not gonna give you a hard time for it. But I feel the exact opposite! SBC's are the best-sounding engine in the world, to my ears. Ford V8s are up there....but to me they aren't even close.

Quote:
I'm just pullin' your chain. After hearing it start up and rev in person...I can't say I'm feeling the need to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
I dunno, I think it sounds terrible.
Hmmm...may need to see an otolaryngologist for that....

Mr. Wyndham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #68
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Thumbs up

I like the sound. It sounds like a muscle car should. My 2011 is soo quiet but that will changed after LT's.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System;
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #69
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeBee View Post
Sounds sweet. But my Harley is still louder.
+1!! My Road King's definitely got it on the decibels!!

But I must say, I'm looking forward to hearing the ZL1 crank up in my driveway!!!
10forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #70
edz10ss

Drives: Silver Metalic Ice w/ black Stripes
I think the ZL1 sounds better than any 5.slow or shelby I have heard. I do like the sound of the Ford's. I agree, at lower rpm's the ford sounds real good, but when I have my foot into it, sorry blue oval boys, chevy killz it
edz10ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #71
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by edz10ss View Post
5.slow
that one took me a minute, but then
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #72
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
I beg to differ on that comment...

Heres my video, post your stang video up to compare

And back on topic, hearing the exhaust on the ZL1 , I had to go ..............ummmm.............get some napkins
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #73
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner

Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Guess you'd have to hear it in person.. It just sounds like almost every other SS I've heard with aftermarket exhaust.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #74
edz10ss

Drives: Silver Metalic Ice w/ black Stripes
Sounds great! Wish he would of mashed the pedal so we could of heard what it sounds like at those higher rpm's. What a tease.
edz10ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #75
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by edz10ss View Post
Sounds great! Wish he would of mashed the pedal so we could of heard what it sounds like at those higher rpm's. What a tease.
Trust me, I'm sure Scott, John, or AL would have loved gone WOT done the strip that day, but GM policy prevents it...........

But come January 2012, or shortly after you can experience WOT for yourself
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote